Goff's Caye snorkeling

Rasta Pirate

When we were there in May, the current was really strong, so I would not recommend trying to snorkel for the first time there. Even if the water was fairly calm, in general I would recommend that if you have the equipment, and you have access to a pool, I would try it there first. That way you can get familiar with the feeling of breathing through a snorkel, clearing your mask if it leaks, etc., without worrying about drowning. :D

I would LOVE to try snorkeling. Can any one tell me if they think Goff's Caye would be a good place to learn how to snorkel? And approx how much time I would need?

Any further information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

RP

Hi I agee with snorkeling in a pool, that's how I started out and it was very helpful--also I bought a book by lonley planet on Belize which has so much info and they recommend snorkeling for beginners in the Turneffe Island which is directly East of Goff's cay--I also found it very useful to get a map of Belize to see where all the cay's are--good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Are you planning on a snorkel tour? We just got back from Goff's Caye and if you are a pretty good swimmer, snorkeling is easy. Also the tour we took- BelizeRays.com made everyone wear life jackets the wrong way around our waists. After 2 minutes of getting used to that it was a great swim/snorkel. The water was so clear you needn't put your tube under the water. You could if you wanted to get closer looks, but most of us just stayed at the top and took in the views of the sea. And the guides kept a watchful eye for anyone in distress, which was reassuring.

Archived