First Day Lunch...Spa Deal?

cdeck23

I leave Sunday on the Gem from Barcelona and had a couple questions.

I have read a couple times on here about lunch in the dinning room instead of the buffet on the first day of embarkation. Is this recommended and is any guest allowed to use the dinning room for lunch instead of the buffet? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, my wife and I have recently been to Rome so have decided to make that day of our cruise a Spa day. I was wondering when does the spa usually announce any deals they may offer? I figured since this is probably a busy day for people going to port that the spa would be quiet and may offer deals. How could I find out when they have specials and does anyone have any tips for the best time to receive treatments and spa deals.

I tried finding past threads via the search box but it wouldn't work for me.

I leave Sunday on the Gem from Barcelona and had a couple questions.

I have read a couple times on here about lunch in the dinning room instead of the buffet on the first day of embarkation. Is this recommended and is any guest allowed to use the dinning room for lunch instead of the buffet? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Yes, it is generally recommended. The big difference with the dining room and the buffet is the fact that you can actually get a seat. This can really be a problem in the buffet. If you manage to board before 12:00, you might have to wait a little for the dining room to open. I don't know what you mean about a guest. They won't let anybody who isn't a passenger on the ship, so anybody can eat there. The only exclusive dining area for breakfast and lunch is Cagney's and you have to be a suite passenger to eat there.

Also, my wife and I have recently been to Rome so have decided to make that day of our cruise a Spa day. I was wondering when does the spa usually announce any deals they may offer? I figured since this is probably a busy day for people going to port that the spa would be quiet and may offer deals. How could I find out when they have specials and does anyone have any tips for the best time to receive treatments and spa deals.

I tried finding past threads via the search box but it wouldn't work for me.

They normally announce those specials via flyers tucked in your Daily delivered to your cabin the evening before you hit port. You ae right, they usually have specials of some sort on port days.

You can always pick up a copy of the Freestyle Daily at the reception desk. That really helps if your room is not ready when you board (if you board early). Entry onto the ship has always been on the deck that Reception is on (for us).

Your idea that the spa is not busy on embarkation is probably correct, however, they always seem to be having informational tours of the spa, raffles at the spa, etc. on embarkation day. The best deals that I have seen have been on port days -- most people are off the boat, so the spa is USUALLY slow on that day. Of course if you have excursions planned, that doesn't help.

I 2nd the idea of lunch in the dining room -- the buffet tends to be quite chaotic! We have entered the ship and been told by employees that only the buffet was open -- but went to get a Daily and saw that the dining room was also. Most people do not know that the dining room is open -- so usually it has been almost empty.

Have a great cruise!!

We were on the Jewel in Jan 2007, and they ran spa specials on the first sea day. The special is ususally reduced prices for the more expensive 90 minute wraps and massages, and the special was for early morning (8 AM). My DW booked it for me as a gift (I paid for it, of course!). I think they do it that way because they try to convince you to come back for a second helping before the end of the cruise. By the way, the treatment was awesome. Expensive, but worth it. Enjoy.

Archived