Appropriate Ports of Call

mom2two2

Hello everyone...

I am a newbie here, I came across the board while trying to research cruise info. We have decided on RCCL and are thinking late Feb 2010 to take a trip. What I need help with is how to select an itinerary.

We will be 2 adults (mid 30s) and 2 children (10 and 7 at time of sailing). We were thinking to sail from FL but I am not sure it would be the best trip considering things I am hearing on the boards about some of the islands and the fact that we will be travelling with kids. I am not liking the idea of Labadee and the whole armed guards etc.

I am starting to think we should sail from San Juan instead. We were hesitating with this only because the flight cost would be so much higher. (We are flying from Detroit Metro)

Which islands are the best for a family with kids? We are interested in some beach days but want to plan some fun excursions as well. We do not really plan to do much shopping while in ports but I am sure I will want to duck in a few places.. ;)

Can anyone help?

Thank you so much

mom2two2

I have taken my kids on RCCL, NCL (2) and Costa (avoid Costa, terrible kids program, more like a one room daycare). Similar age range as yours and they had a great time on NCL and RCCL. Although you may be better off with NCL because of kids and "Freestyle" dinning just works better. But...that wasn't your question so....

Southern Cruises are very port intensive but may be a bit much with kids. My kids enjoyed the ship as much as the ports. With the exception of Grenada and Martinique (which were more of a depressed economy and we felt there was less to see and do there) our kids loved the snorkling and good snorkling was abundant on all islands. Use the Cruiseline tours if your concerned but the local tours that are mentioned on these boards tend to be very good too. We felt safe on all the islands. Labadee should be fine and might be your cheapest stop. San Juan seemed more rough than the port stops.

Western Cruises are our kids favorite. Grand Cayman is a must do with kids to Stingray City. Its nice that Western cruises have sea days spread out also. Our 7YO had more fun at Disneyworld at the hotel pool than he did at most of the parks we went to. Its the same with the ship. The younger kids have more fun with the Kids Club activities and ships pool/water slides as they did with the ports. The only port that I would not even get off the ship at would be Jamaica. All others are fine. Cozumel and Roatan had lots of Police with automatic weapons but I think alot of that is for show. The US Coast Guard is present in most ports too.

Eastern cruises are more for shopping. St Thomas and St. Martin are the two shopping ports. They also have Snorkling tours too so don't rule them out.

My advice would be to do a Western cruise. RCCL is very kid friendly (you picked a good one) but so is NCL and I have heard very good things from friends about Princess and Kids activities (I am not a Carnival fan). All go out of Florida. All should be good choices. To sum up....My only port concern would be Jamaica.

We have also been on HAL but thats a different age group. We have been on 8 cruises but have not been to Panama or Columbia so can't comment on those ports.

Labadee is fine. The armed guards are only there to not allow the locals to wander thru not to protect you from "harm" as such. If there is any unrest, RCCL WON'T stop at the island at all. It is great!!!! Fantastic stop!

I agree that western is probably a good choice or say some of the islands/areas such as Grand Cayman has the stingray and turtle trips....and Aruba has lots of fun Jeep Safari stuff....Cozumel is beaches and other fun stuff.....and yep St. Thomas and Maarten are lots of shopping however in St Thomas we went to St. Johns for an eco hike and had a great time!!! List the islands you are thinking of and I am sure people will tell you the fun stuff to do with kids.

Also, what ship are you thinking??? Any questions about the ports of departure??? Miami....with kids might want to stay near say Bayside so that you can maybe take a harbor cruise or go a day early so you can go to the Everglades and do an air boat tour (do a private one...much better than a group one and about $10 extra a person).

Ask away?!?!?

Lou

Archived