Buenos Aires - Valparaiso Port vs Starboard

Carmelita

We are scheduled for this cruise on the Norwegian Sun leaving BA on Feb 1/09. At the moment we have an unobstructed starboard side ocean-view cabin on the Viking Deck #8. If an upgrade to a port-side balcony cabin becomes available at a price we can justify, is it worth giving up the starboard-side cabin to upgrade to a balcony? Is the balcony cabin that much bigger and/or better to give up the starboard side views for? Also, I'm assuming the weather could also be crappy ergo how much use would the balcony see?! Your thoughts & opinions would be appreciated. This will be our first big-ship cruise altho we are off to Tahiti next week with Star Clippers & have cruised a number of times with Windjammer - RIP. Thanks.

The starboard side and balcony are ideal in my opinion. You will see the coastline whereas if you change your cabin to Portside - all you will see is the ocean !! Of course, the starboard side is my preference - you may want something else -for ex. a larger cabin. However, we are doing this cruise itinerary (RCCL's Mariner of the Seas - Jan. '09) for the sceneary. Also why would you think the weather will be "crappy" ??? Our winter is South America's

summer time - Buenos Aires will be nice and warm - of course as you near the

Cape - temps will be much cooler so plan your wardrobe accordingly.

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards keeping our oceanview starboard cabin even if a port balcony opens up as we too are going for the scenery & not for the cabin amenities. As for the weather, even tho it may be summer, I believe the Cape Horn area is pretty notorious for unpredictable & unseasonable weather. I expect from Buenos Aires to Puerto Madryn will be warm & stable but south of there until we return up the coast to the Puerto Montt area could be anything & everything. We'll be hiking in the Torres del Paine & Fitzroy areas for 2 weeks after the cruise so we will definitely have enough clothing for any type of weather on the ship or in ports!!

Archived