Things to do in Kona?

teamfour

If you're a coffee drinker a tour of a coffee farm is nice. My favorite is Holualoa Coffee in Holualoa about 20 minutes up the hill from Kona. Check their website www.konalea.com. It's a small family organic farm and the folks there are very friendly. I still order my coffee from there every month. The other fun adventure is Flumin da Ditch - check out www.flumindaditch.com . It's a raft ride down a 100 year-old irrigation ditch through rain forest and tunnels that were hand bored by Japanese laborers. You'll learn great folklore and history. It's a bit of a drive to Hawi and so I don't know if your port timeframe will allow it.

If you have transportation, drive down the coast (South) to the City of Refuge. The Painted Church is in the same area. Both are very interesting, and not that long a drive from town. On the way there you'll pass Kahalu'u State Park with the most fish per square tourist that I've seen anywhere. :D

I don't play the game myself, but apparently there are some world-class golf courses on the Kona coast. I suppose you could go on the net and find which ones accept day-trippers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a golf tour operator (or two) in Kailua-Kona just waiting for your call. That's why God created Google (and there's actually a website called www.golfkona.com that shows all the courses, fees, etc.).

We won't go to Kailua-Kona without going into the Hilo Hattie's to see if Cindy Coats is exhibiting her wonderful art work there. We love to just walk around the town, on both sidewalk and seawall. Try the buzz beans samples at Country Samurai. From the concrete tender dock, you should be able to get a terrific photo of your anchored ship. You can watch the ironman competition, if your timing is right. You can paddle in an outrigger canoe. Be creative, and have a great time.

• 5 months later...

Seabreezer,

Can you tell me how deep "da ditch" is? We have people in our group who aren't too comfortable being in deep water. Couldn't really get a good idea from the link you provided. Also, how big are the kayaks? Some looked like they held 3 or 4? And how many people are in a "tour" and how many guides per tour"? Any info you can provide would be helpful....

Thanks!

WBC

Archived