Cruising in wnter?

tokidoki

:confused: :confused: :confused: Anyone as concerned as I am about sailing from Miami, 1/18/09, and flying from NY??? I have insurance for the plane and cruise, but the airline has to be not flying for 24 hours, before I get a refund, but I would miss the boat!!!

:confused: :confused: :confused: Anyone as concerned as I am about sailing from Miami, 1/18/09, and flying from NY??? I have insurance for the plane and cruise, but the airline has to be not flying for 24 hours, before I get a refund, but I would miss the boat!!!

We're flying from Chicago for our cruise, but decided to fly in the day before so we are atleast there. Everyone we know who have cruised has told us to always fly in the night before regardles if it during the winter or not.

Of course, you are flying in the night before right? I had a January 18th cruise a few years ago and the night before, we got 9 inches of snow in Baltimore...made our 730PM Miami departure (after a 5 hour flight delay) by 1 hour. The Carnival cruise passengers missed their boat. We fly in a day early as a rule now. Just in case.

We are flying into Long Beach the morning before and I'm still a little nervous. Our airport is 60 miles from home so can be an ugly drive if we get a Thanksgiving snow storm. I guess we can always leave for the airport a day early too!

We've had this booked for over a year......no way some weather is going to ruin it! :eek:

I agree 100%...change your flight and go the day before. I usually have a layover in NY and the way the airlines have been the past year or two, I even try for two days before...not because of snowstorm...but because of the airlines!

coka

so I use Travelguard & they are great! Access America & Berkley (cruiseline insurance) was the companys that ripped us off. We love winter cruising to any warm location since prices are cheaper also. No kids unless you are doing holidays, which we don't. WE DO NOT CRUISE SUMMER EITHER.

I would suggest flying in the day before, especially if your flights may

involve a layover. In the winter, a storm in a different city may effect your flight. It's doable, but I wouldn't risk it in the winter.

We always book a non stop from Boston or Manchester. Last January, there were no storms, but our flight from Boston was delayed because the plane was in NY grounded due to fog.

If you can afford it, I would suggest flying in the night before.

Hotels may not be as expensive as you think. We got the Marriot Fort Lauderdale beach last year through priceline for 90.00. Cab fares was around 25 from the airport to the hotel with tip, and we took a shuttle to the pier the next day for 15.00 plus tip for the two of us.

There are good deals to be found in Miami this year if you take the time to search. I had initially booked a pre cruise night at the Courtyard Marriot Miami airport West-Doral. for 127. including airport shuttle, but cancelled it when I found a special "sneak peek" rate at the Eden Roc, Miami Beach

129.00. The Eden Roc will end up costing more because we will have to pay for a taxi to the hotel, but we thought it would be fun to take a walk on the beach prior to leaving for the port.

FWIW, I'm on your cruise and I'm gutzing it out and flying in the morning of. I travel a lot for work (50k FF miles in the past 13 months) and feel more comfortable taking the first flight in the morning than a late afternoon flight the day before. Taking and afternoon flight, you are at the mercy of other airports and waiting for the planes to get to your airport. So, a blizzard in Chicago means your plane might not even arrive. In general, an east coast morning flight got in sometime the night before, and, for the most part, you are only at the whims of your local weather, not your local weather and everyone elses. Plus, the ground crews are working all night to get the airport up and running (and if there is a storm, they will be working overtime).

Most people disagree with me :) I know that. But thats my logic for sticking with my 6am flight on 1/18.

Because we are from Upstate NY, we know what winter weather is like...that's why we book winter cruises:D

We fly in the day before, and book a hotel that has an airport shuttle (free). Then, on the day of the cruise, we shuttle back to the airport (free, again), and take the NCL shuttle from the airport to the terminal (I think it was around $25-$30). This has worked well for us both times. It is again my plan for February.

Good luck!

Last years December ice and snow storms in the midwest and east left the west coast short of planes. Passengers were backed up and late getting to the port for our Hawaiian cruise. The ship delayed departure for about 2 hours since some air travelers had booked with NCL. Others however were left to catch the ship in Hilo or Maui. My point is that bad weather in one place can have a ripple effect for thousands of miles.

The piece of mind is so worth going a day early. Anything can and does happen in the air industry! Be prepared!!

My two cents! As most have said-- Fly in the day before for your own peace of mind! You can get some great deals on Hotwire too... $85 for the Intercontinental in December...

It is true, as I think Rubytue said- you are generally better getting an early morning flight rather than an afternoon.... the early morning flights are usually free from delays.... although-- if there was bad weather the night before- and flights were cancelled etc, in my experience they put those passengers on that first flight in the morning regardless if you were originally booked on it.... the passengers from the night before got first priority.

I don't think we would ever risk flying in the day of the cruise-- especially how the airlines have been....:)

In principle we used to fly in a day before the cruise, no matter where. That also gave our luggage a chance to catch up with us - if it somehow missed the flight/s. We consider it cheap insurance. For our cruise next March out of Miami we have booked a Romette on Amtrak from Philly. Not because of weather, but because of the uncertainties with the airlines. We'll still spend a night in Miami prior to the cruise.

I am always amazed that people will buy travel insurance, but then fly the day of a cruise when there is a fair chance of delays. Folks always say the cruiseline will have to take care of me, or the insurance will take care of it.

Insurance will not cover:

- that first day heading out to sea. Once it is gone, it is gone

- the stress of worrying about making the flight and connection

- the discomfort of your bags not making it, even though you did

(yes, they could still be days late, but having one full day to catch up takes care of the MAJORITY of lost bag issues)

- The pain in the ---- of having to deal with new transportation, a flight to catch the ship, getting a hotel, etc. etc.

It is just not worth it. Go a day early and enjoy yourself.

Archived