Olde River Belize and Althan Hun ruins..excursion

AerynSun_JohnCrighton

Has anyone done this???

What kind of boat? Did you like it? Was it worth the 90 bucks a person?

Any info would be appreciated.

My DH and I did this excursion 3 years ago through Carnival, and I have to tell you we absolutly loved it!!! I don't know what "kind" of boat it was...It was a large wooden boat, all open so we had full view of the tree tops to see all the different wildlife going up the river through the rain forest. We saw Holler monkeys, lots of very large beautiful iguanas, Tucan, Crocks etc! Great river tour and the two guides were wonderful. I have some great pics if you send me your email I can send a pic of the boat. Once we got to our spot up the river, we were at a spot that had a few souvenior stands, and a small open air restaurant if you wanted to eat lunch, for a small amount. Sorry I don't remember how much lunch was, but it was delish!!!!!! Roasted chicken, rice and beans cooked in coconut milk, very tasty. We also bought a bottle of cashew wine here, and I can't wait to go back and get more, it was also very good!! After short time to eat and

shop we loaded a bus (air cond.) and went to the ruins. The bus ride was very nice because it gave you time to really see this beautiful country! Once at the ruins, we were able to walk around and even climb to the top of the largest temple and see where they use to make sacrafices. It was very interesting and worth every penny!! I would do it again myself...and I don't do any excursions with the ship any longer, but this I would in a minute!!

Thank you soo much for the reply!!!

it is aeryn_s_crichton and my e-mail is yahoo.

The boat, it being open, was it hot? Lunch is included in NCL's tour... how long was the boat ride? How long were you given to eat/shop? Were you in direct sun for a long time? *mom can't do direct sun for long...* at the ruins... if you finished before everyone was there a place to sit in shade and wait?

I did this tour also and agree that it was wonderful. Our boat did have a canopy which was nice because it was hot out. Plenty of other boats didn't have a cover though. We did our tour through Princess, I'm not sure which cruiseline had the uncovered boats. It would probaly be worth wearing a hat just in case. One thing you will need on this trip is some kind of bug repellant. I like the ones that come as wipes. It's easy to carry a few along. I don't remember any bugs while on the boat, but when we stopped along the river for lunch there was quite a few. This is a great way to experience Belize. I highly recommend this tour.

If there is no canopy, you might be in the sun for the hour or so that you are on the boat [maybe your mom could carry a portable unbrella just in case] At the ruins your mom will be able to sit and rest in the shade if she likes. Some people climb to the top of one of the ruins while others stay at the bottom and enjoy the view. It is not a very strenous walk.

AerynSun_JohnCrighton I think you are on the NCL pearl sailing from Miami on the 23rd. I saw your name on the roll call forum.

We wre thinking of doing the myan ruin site and the river tour also. Are you thinking of uisng the NCL tour or an independent one?

Nick

I am...I booked already through NCL...

Belize is a tender port... and I don't want to risk not getting back in time...being it is almost a 7 hr tour which is our time there almost.

I booked the same tour thru NCL yesterday as not worth risking missing the ship, especially since this tour is 6.5 hrs long. Aaeryn see you on Sunday hopefully.

It'll be nice to see a familar face on the tour... 9am?

See you Mon at the meet and greet for sure... if I dont see you at the ship's tour or the sailaway party.

Meg

Archived