Blackberries, anyone?

Dee777

Took my sprint BB, had the simply everything plan. INT Roaming is 2.49 ( 5 miles outside Miami)

Is that for phone usage or e-mails or both?

A couple of years ago, I cruised to Ensenada with a T-Mobile plan, and they charged about $10 per day all in for the e-mail roaming...

In theory, I like the idea of turning off the blackberry. However, my dog was just diagnosed with cancer and had surgery to remove a blown kidney. I will cruise much more comfortably knowing that the people watching him can reach me easily... :(

In theory, I like the idea of turning off the blackberry. However, my dog was just diagnosed with cancer and had surgery to remove a blown kidney. I will cruise much more comfortably knowing that the people watching him can reach me easily... :(

So sorry to hear about your dog...I hope he recovers well. What type of cancer? Was the kidney involvement secondary to the cancer or did he have other renal insufficiency? Prayers for your pup!Angel_anim.gif

I suppose that is a really good reason to leave it on; however, I would make it clear that no one else, under any circumstances was to call. The roaming charges are killer, and you are never truly on vacation if you have your Blackberry with you at all times...I know that is how I was when I took a recent dive trip to Bonaire! Almost $1.75 per minute for calling, 50¢ outgoing text messages and 5¢ incoming text messages in roaming areas (Verizon). I didn't get bombarded, as I made it clear to folks I wasn't sure what type of or how much connectivity I would have in such a remote locale, but the bill was definitely higher than normal when I returned home.

Ok straight from the nice lady on Sprint Live Chat:

Yes, Sprint offers both voice and data service in Mexico. Voice calls are $1.49/minute and data service (internet & email) is $2.05/MB. On the Cruise Ship the roaming rate is $2.49/min and data is not available. Text messaging is also not available while roaming in internationally. We will need to enable your device for international service prior to traveling. Would you like to enable service now? There is no cost to enable the service, you will simply pay for calls and data service when traveling.

Hope this helps...and that your dog is okay and has no issues while you are away :(

So sorry to hear about your dog...I hope he recovers well. What type of cancer? Was the kidney involvement secondary to the cancer or did he have other renal insufficiency? Prayers for your pup!Angel_anim.gif

Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I'll try to keep it brief because it's so far off topic...

He has a kind of bladder cancer called transitional cell carcinoma. The cancer caused swelling and inflammation at the base of his bladder, and that swelling in turn blocked off the ureter -- the tube connecting kidney to bladder. Urine backed up and "blew out" the kidney, whatever that means. We're now treating the cancer medically, and as long as the treatment works, I think he can live a good long time with it. It will never be "cured", but as long as the other kidney remains functional and the fluid keeps flowing, as it were, he should be okay.

I suppose that is a really good reason to leave it on; however, I would make it clear that no one else, under any circumstances was to call. The roaming charges are killer, and you are never truly on vacation if you have your Blackberry with you at all times...I know that is how I was when I took a recent dive trip to Bonaire! Almost $1.75 per minute for calling, 50¢ outgoing text messages and 5¢ incoming text messages in roaming areas (Verizon). I didn't get bombarded, as I made it clear to folks I wasn't sure what type of or how much connectivity I would have in such a remote locale, but the bill was definitely higher than normal when I returned home.

I have no intention of having people call me. I have a separate cell phone that I use for voice calls. Nobody even knows the number to call my blackberry. It would be exclusively for e-mail. That way, I can easily deal with things I want to (such as the dog) and ignore things that I don't...

:)

Thank you so much for your kind wishes. I'll try to keep it brief because it's so far off topic...

He has a kind of bladder cancer called transitional cell carcinoma. The cancer caused swelling and inflammation at the base of his bladder, and that swelling in turn blocked off the ureter -- the tube connecting kidney to bladder. Urine backed up and "blew out" the kidney, whatever that means. We're now treating the cancer medically, and as long as the treatment works, I think he can live a good long time with it. It will never be "cured", but as long as the other kidney remains functional and the fluid keeps flowing, as it were, he should be okay.

I have no intention of having people call me. I have a separate cell phone that I use for voice calls. Nobody even knows the number to call my blackberry. It would be exclusively for e-mail. That way, I can easily deal with things I want to (such as the dog) and ignore things that I don't...

:)

My sister's Beagle lived for years with transitional cell carcinoma. They had to make a few lifestyle decisions and changes to accommodate him, but everyone made out all right!

I know how you feel, needing to know that his caregivers can reach you at any time. Good luck with everything!

Sorry about the blackberry confusion in the title lol

Dee

My sister's Beagle lived for years with transitional cell carcinoma. They had to make a few lifestyle decisions and changes to accommodate him, but everyone made out all right!

Thank you. Hearing that means the world to me!

Drew_B,

I believe that Sprint also uses the CDMA network. I checked Carnivals website and they don't go into any details other than to say they now provide cell phone coverage. I saw for myself they have GSM coverage but I don't know about CDMA.

Can anyone confirm/deny CDMA coverage on Carnival ships?

Just off of the Victory - Caribbean Cruise. My BB is Telus and they use CDMA. No service on the islands. :(

• 1 month later...

Archived