Question: opinions, advice, please

dgpdfw

Hi all, I have a dilemma about booking a cruise sailing on Dec 14. My partner and I have been on several cruises, and are torn between two sailings. The Celebrity Solstice, and the Norwegian Pearl. Before anyone starts balking at NCL, we are attracted to the Freestyle Dining options and like the fact that we can go casual. Not so fond of doing the coat/tie/suit thing this time. So, in our opinion, those are pluses.

We know that Celebrity is definitely superior to NCL, and sailing on a brand new ship like the Solstice sounds great. The fact that we can book through Pied Piper and sail with a gay group sounds great...just not sure if we are up for the formal nights, etc.

So...I say Arrrrgh! :confused: I dont know which one to go with. We would love to see if there are any family members sailing on the Pearl on the 14th.

Anyway...sorry for rambling. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Thanks!

You have a very interesting issue. We have been tempted by NCL as well based on prices and itinaries as well. The problem we have seen is based on where you are cruising, the passengers on NCL seem to leave a bit to be desired. We have docked in the past in the Caribbean next to and NCL ship and thought they had evacuated all the trailor parks in america.

We find that even on HAL you can cruise causal even on formal nights but booking in alternative restaurants. If you really want a nice cruise with very nice food but a nice casual atmosphere, try Windstar, We loved it.

One other suggestion I have been told it if you want to try lines like NCL or Carnival but avoid tones of children etc, book "repositioning or atlantic crossing" cruises on these lines. These cruise tend to get a better group of passengers.

We find that even on HAL you can cruise causal even on formal nights but booking in alternative restaurants.

The dress code on HAL is supposed to apply to 'all public areas' which would include the alternative restaurants (not the Lido, of course). The other non-formal dining option would be room service (where you can have everything from the dining room menu).

If you are fine with Freestyle, then the Pearl is a very nice ship. We took my mother to Alaska on the Pearl and it was just fine. I can't speak to cabin size because we booked a mini-suite, but the rest of the ship is nice. I personally disliked the Freestyle, but if you like it, then you will like the Pearl.

That said, Celebrity is my favorite of the lines I've been on. I didn't find NCL to be trailer-trash, but I do feel Celebrity is just a more upscale experience, regardless of formal nights. And having sailed with Pied Piper, I can highly recommend it. We had so much fun with the PP group, including on the formal nights. Most people were coupled and came from different backgrounds, and everyone was delightful. We took one of the PP shore excursions and had a great time.

If I were faced with your choice, I would choose the Solstice, primarily because of the PP group. We just had a ball with them, and you can always dine at the Lido.

still on the fence, but seeing how it is only a bit over a month away, we'd better make a decision. "I will stop procrastinating....tomorrow." LOL

Wow, you certainly are cutting it close! Most people book cruises at least six months in advance, I think. You should be able to get a good price, they will be looking to sell the last spots.

My house does not have wheels, nor is it mobile, and I have had 4 great trips on NCL. As a matter of fact, I'm leaving on the NCL Jewel 22 dyas :). We sailed the Pearl to Alaska and had an outstanding time. We love Freestyle dining, as well.

Hi all, I have a dilemma about booking a cruise sailing on Dec 14. My partner and I have been on several cruises, and are torn between two sailings. The Celebrity Solstice, and the Norwegian Pearl. Before anyone starts balking at NCL, we are attracted to the Freestyle Dining options and like the fact that we can go casual. Not so fond of doing the coat/tie/suit thing this time. So, in our opinion, those are pluses.

There are only a couple formal nights on Celebrity, the other nights would require the same dress on NCL and Celebrity. (no shorts and jeans basically...)

I'd say do Solstice, and on formal nights, go to Bistro on 5, or try the casual dining with table service in the buffet area.

NCL is fine, but they nickel and dime you to death.

Freestyle dining on NCL is not all that and a bag of chips...you can get into the dining room pretty well anytime you want (you might have to wait a bit if it is a peak period), dining in the other restaurants usually requires reservations, which defeats the whole purpose of "freestyling" (basing this on our experience on NCL Sky).

Mike

There are only a couple formal nights on Celebrity, the other nights would require the same dress on NCL and Celebrity. (no shorts and jeans basically...)

I'd say do Solstice, and on formal nights, go to Bistro on 5, or try the casual dining with table service in the buffet area.

NCL is fine, but they nickel and dime you to death.

Freestyle dining on NCL is not all that and a bag of chips...you can get into the dining room pretty well anytime you want (you might have to wait a bit if it is a peak period), dining in the other restaurants usually requires reservations, which defeats the whole purpose of "freestyling" (basing this on our experience on NCL Sky).

Mike

The SKY isn't a good ship to choose because of the short cruises it does-3 or 4 days. Because of the smaller number of seating in the specialty resturants, reservations are sometimes needed.

I have heard of many people who have luck just showing up at the specialty resturants without reservations though.

I will say that we have never had to wait to get into the dining room.

Yes my DP and I are fans of NCL :).

Hi,

Gus and I have sailed on both NCL (Jewel) and Celebrity. We enjoyed both cruises, but they are very different experiences. The new NCL ships are fun, and designed for Freestyle dining, with tv screens around the ship that show the wait time at the various restaurants. We dined at most of them, and thought the food to be reasonable. Service was a bit hit and miss -some restaurants better than others. However, it isn't really freestyle as the more popular restaurants tend to fill early in the cruise; eg the sushi and teppanyaki ones. We went on embarkation day and booked for the whole week. Overall, NCL was great value and a fun holiday. I would go again. It is a family cruiseline and indeed I was on vacation with my kids. I would always pick either NCL or RCCL for my cruises with the kids.

When we cruise on our own, we prefer more upscale cruiselines. Celebrity does a great job - we've now done three and enjoyed each one. Celebrity's dining service is top notch, and the food is better than NCL. The ships are more elegant, and formal nights are dressy. We enjoy that aspect of cruising, and the fact that you dine with the same people each night. You could just avoid the main dining room on the formal nights, though the bars etc will be full of people in formalwear.

I'd go with what you are most comfortable doing - if the casual nature of NCL attracts, then do that. It is a different product to Celebrity, but they do what they do very well.

Hi,

Gus and I have sailed on both NCL (Jewel) and Celebrity. We enjoyed both cruises, but they are very different experiences. The new NCL ships are fun, and designed for Freestyle dining, with tv screens around the ship that show the wait time at the various restaurants. We dined at most of them, and thought the food to be reasonable. Service was a bit hit and miss -some restaurants better than others. However, it isn't really freestyle as the more popular restaurants tend to fill early in the cruise; eg the sushi and teppanyaki ones. We went on embarkation day and booked for the whole week. Overall, NCL was great value and a fun holiday. I would go again. It is a family cruiseline and indeed I was on vacation with my kids. I would always pick either NCL or RCCL for my cruises with the kids.

When we cruise on our own, we prefer more upscale cruiselines. Celebrity does a great job - we've now done three and enjoyed each one. Celebrity's dining service is top notch, and the food is better than NCL. The ships are more elegant, and formal nights are dressy. We enjoy that aspect of cruising, and the fact that you dine with the same people each night. You could just avoid the main dining room on the formal nights, though the bars etc will be full of people in formalwear.

I'd go with what you are most comfortable doing - if the casual nature of NCL attracts, then do that. It is a different product to Celebrity, but they do what they do very well.

Chin Chin on the Jewel can hold 162 people

Teppanyakki can accomadate 32 for 2 seating per night= 64

There are about 2500 people on the ship. Overall occupancy for NCL 3rd quarter was 111.3%.

Freestyle doesn't mean that every resturant can accomadate every person on the ship. It only means that you're not tied to eating with the same people, at the same table, at the same time for dinner.

Off soapbox ;)

If you enjoy Freestyle the Pearl is a great ship. We greatly enjoyed our Alaska cruise on the Pearl. We found the buffet on the Pearl to be better than other NCL ships we had been on, but we did not enjoy the Italian restaurant at all. Cagneys was great as usual.

Archived