Galveston

TEXASMUNK

Moderators, if you need to pull this one, I completely understand.

If you visit Gelveston Dot Com you will see a story about helping kids and families in Galveston. If you have a bunch of stuff that might help, info is contained in the story.

Since Galveston is a great cruise departure point, why not help if we can!

This is a people to people opportunity. No government 'managing" things, just folks helping other folks.

Moderators, if you need to pull this one, I completely understand.

If you visit Gelveston Dot Com you will see a story about helping kids and families in Galveston. If you have a bunch of stuff that might help, info is contained in the story.

Since Galveston is a great cruise departure point, why not help if we can!

This is a people to people opportunity. No government 'managing" things, just folks helping other folks.

Galveston SO needs all the help anyone can provide. We were there this weekend for a Beach Boys benefit concert at Moody Garden.

On the way to the concert, we drove down the Strand (near the cruise terminal). The Strand was impassible for weeks after the storm, as it was covered with several inches (maybe a foot) of mud and sand. That is gone now, and the stores and shops that had many feet of water are standing with doors open, and nothing inside but bare 2x4 studs where once walls stood. It was very eerie, as the street was nearly deserted.

As we were peeking in the window of a once-beautiful loft and art gallery on a side street, a man approached us and began talking. He owned the building next door to the loft/ gallery. He seemed so happy that someone was interested in their plight!

His building happened to have been the hotel across the street from the Railroad Museum. The water line on the building was at about 8 feet!! The owner and his wife, and other friends from the street invited us in to see the problems they were having. The hotel-owner couple live in a second story apartment above the main lobby, and apparently that apartment is still in tact....sort of. The main lobby is gutted and the silt and mud has been scraped off the slate floors, as best it can be.....SO sad! Again, I found myself in tears.....just couldn't stop them!

The walls of the lobby were covered with something flaky and white that I thought was salt leaching from the brick. The owner said it is mold! He said the brick is taking a long time to dry out and that there is still a lot of water in the walls of all of the buildings! There is still sea water between the double panes of glass in the front doors!

So what does this have to do with cruising? Well, the Carnival ships (Conquest and Ecstacy) returned to the port of Galveston this past weekend. RCI is close behind! The man and his wife who were showing us around said that when the residents of the area heard the first ship's horn as it came into port, they all came outside and cheered!!!!

Galveston is coming back!!! Every so slowly.....but she will be back!

That is so sad. I almost got teary at the part where they cheered when they heard the ship's horns.

Pat

Yes, that did it for me.....I was already teary, but that was really emotional! They were SO exicted! They came out to the balcony and waved goodbye to us as we drove away!

Archived