Has anyone heard of stingray sailing tours in Grand Cayman?

rosemont5380

We just returned from 7 day Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas and used Stingray Sailing on April 30th. Michelle was great during the booking process (quick, informative and funny); her husband, co-owner, Chip, met us at the pier (call ahead on cell to give them your ETA, means a lot when they are trying to corral folks from 2 or 3 ships, but they do so). Short van ride to the Far Tortuga catamaran and with pilot Bert, we were off. We had only 16 guests on board (plenty of room, in shade and sun) and passed motor boats filled the gunwales with passengers. Was nice to spread out. We snorkeled before the stingrays (as sandbar was crowded). Water was choppy, so little tough for the kids, but the rays are once in a lifetime experience. We sailed back in and Chip dove over the side and brought up all kinds of marine life for the kids (great photo ops). They will drop you anywhere after (we opted for Margaritaville and then some shopping). We had three kids (5, 8 and 10) and they loved it. [Mama Parrot Head: Sent you friend request, as you asked for photos; happy to share, but just don't want to put kids' pics on public page; send me email and will send you the photos of the boat; PS -- you of all folks will LOVE Margaritaville, too!]. Kudos and recommendations for Stingray Sailing. Be sure to say hello to Michelle and Chip from John in New Hampshire!!

Not that I would want to cancel but anyone know their policies? We're going to prepay via CC and wondered if they refund in full due to weather or any other reason that is not our fault. (ship late, sickness, and so on)

Just got back from our cruise on Carnival Liberty today:((sad because we had to come home...)

We took this tour on Tues. It was FANTASTIC!! I cannot stress that enough! We had good interaction with the stingrays away from the other crowds and great snorkelling. Chip, Bert and Mark are super and really gave the tour a personal feel.

pooh/tigger- I believe their website has some info, but I know my confirmation said paypal was preferred or you could pay in person on the day. We paid in cash that day and they did not collect until the end of the tour.

If you email, you will get a response quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed with Chip last month with just my family of 4 on the catamaran. As mentioned in the above threads, the tour was fantastic.

My wife and I did Stingray city booked through a cruise ship about 5 years ago. Generally your first experience with something is superior to your second and the second is a bit of a let down as you're always comparing but in this case the second was far SUPERIOR:D Someone above mentioned the squid bucket. That little bucket made all the difference in the water. The stingrays knew lunch was in that thing and they weren't leaving. They were with us for at least an hour bumping us, letting us pet them, and feed them. On the cruise ship, once our little piece of squid was gone, the stingrays were off to other boats looking for lunch - not much interaction.

All the positive comments above echoed true for us. Quick confirmation, pickup at the ship, small group size, lots of squid, sailing, personalized service, fruit platter and a very relaxed time. Payment was at the end of the tour - mind you before you got to shore;)

The reef snorkeling might be intimidating for newbie snorkelers as it is open water. However, if you're comfortable in the water you shouldn't have any trouble. Let Chip know and he will be right there with you. He appears to be a very strong swimmer. This is one of the advantages of a smaller group size - personalized service.

During the snorkeling he tried to find an eel for us but the little guy was shy that day and didn't come out. No matter though - the coral and fish variety were very nice.

One thing that might have been a bit different for us was that many tours that day were cancelled due to rough seas. Chip told us what was up and gave us the option of cancelling or going out to the sandbar and checking it out first hand. We opted to go thinking we would at least get a nice boat ride even if we couldn't get off. As it turns out things were fine when we got there and Chip was suprised that recommendations were given to cancel. It worked out great for us as there were only a couple of other boats out there - mind you they were packed like sardines:cool: Having said all that, Chip would have cancelled as well if he had a larger group. With two adults and two teens comfortable in the water he knew he could keep track of us and keep us safe if things were a bit rougher than normal.

I picked Stingray Sailing based on recommendations on this forum. My main reasons for going with them vs some of the other recommended operators were:

• You get to sail
  • Small group sizes
  • You get to feed the stingrays
  • Only two stops - not rushed
  • Reef snorkeling

Everyone's different in what their looking for but if the above is on your list these guys are definitely worth considering.

• 1 month later...
We want to book with an independent tour operator to go to Stingray City and ran across Stingray Sailing tours. Not much mentioned on the website and just thought I would run it past some people on here.

Rosemont5380

Rosemont: My wife, three daughters and I went with Stingray Sailing during our RCCL/FOS cruise last week of April, this year. I booked online with Michelle (co-owner) and she did not even require a deposit. I think it was $30 kids and $45 adults. Captain Chip met us at the pier (I called on cell on way in on tender, which helps) and he drove us in a nice van to the boat (only about 16 on the trip, including the 5 of us, plus 2 crew; some of the other tours looked loaded to the gunwales). The boat, the "Dry Tortuga," is a catamaran, with nets and deck in front to lounge and shade in the cockpit. Waters and fruit complimentary; beer and soda and snacks for nominal amt. Bathroom on board and snorkel gear provided. Chip and Bert (pilot) were great. We did the snorkeling first (reversed order due to crowds on the sandbar) and our wading with the rays afterward. We motored out and sailed back (going under sail, rather than motor is like having whole extra excursion included). The whole trip was 3 to 4 hours (though flew by); my kids (9, 8 and 5) loved it -- Chip dove over side on the way back and brought up huge starfish and urchins for them to hold (great photos). Chip will drop you anywhere you want to go afterward (beach, shops, pubs). I thought it was a great excursion, uncrowded, reasonably priced, easy to book, nice boat and well worth it. Email me if you have questions (and I can share photos if that helps): jcurran@getmanstacey.com. Good luck with planning and have a great trip, John

PS -- if you do book w/them, tell Chip and Michelle hello for me......

Astros Fan, we did this tour the first week of May. I want to say the snorkeling was about 45 mins. I can't remember exactly as I was in complete awe!:D We were in an area where there were no other boats and swam quite a ways along the reef. I'm a pretty strong swimmer and I was getting concerned I would get tired, my DH had already turned back...BUT, the clarity of the water and the amount of sea life kept me going. I think I was probably the last one back on boat and I fought them every step of the way ;)- LOL - I could have stayed there and been happy.

I would go back with stingray sailing every time and not be bored with it. The crew, the catamaran, their level of service and the places they took us were all fantastic. No matter what your level of skill or comfort they will take care of you.

Johnny-

How long were you at each stop. We love the rays, but also really love to snorkel.

Thanks!

I didn't time it either. I would say it was a good hour though. Chip didn't rush us and let us come in when we wanted to. However, I'm sure there was an upper limit (had to catch the ship) - I just don't know what it is.:rolleyes:

Send Michelle a note and I'm sure she would be happy to give you some specifics.

After reading these posts my wife and I decided to book with Stingray sailing. My wife sent an email to them and we received a response in thirty minutes. We sent a confirmation email back to Michelle and good thing we did, Michelle had let us know in another email that we squeezed in as the last booking for that trip and the trips were filling up fast. I don't want to sound redundant and say everything all over again from the above posts, but this trip was amazing. We also had the added bonus of meeting Michelle and she accompanied us on the trip with Chip and the rest of the passengers. Michelle and Chip are doing a great job, and I would recommend this trip to anyone going to Grand Cayman.

I'm getting ready to book as soon as I hear from them.

We just returned from 7 day Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas and used Stingray Sailing on April 30th. Michelle was great during the booking process (quick, informative and funny); her husband, co-owner, Chip, met us at the pier (call ahead on cell to give them your ETA, means a lot when they are trying to corral folks from 2 or 3 ships, but they do so). Short van ride to the Far Tortuga catamaran and with pilot Bert, we were off. We had only 16 guests on board (plenty of room, in shade and sun) and passed motor boats filled the gunwales with passengers. Was nice to spread out. We snorkeled before the stingrays (as sandbar was crowded). Water was choppy, so little tough for the kids, but the rays are once in a lifetime experience. We sailed back in and Chip dove over the side and brought up all kinds of marine life for the kids (great photo ops). They will drop you anywhere after (we opted for Margaritaville and then some shopping). We had three kids (5, 8 and 10) and they loved it. [Mama Parrot Head: Sent you friend request, as you asked for photos; happy to share, but just don't want to put kids' pics on public page; send me email and will send you the photos of the boat; PS -- you of all folks will LOVE Margaritaville, too!]. Kudos and recommendations for Stingray Sailing. Be sure to say hello to Michelle and Chip from John in New Hampshire!!

We are going in November and it really sounds like a trip.

I haven't seen/heard a bad review of them yet! WE went July 2 & there were 27 cruisers on board the catamaran. We had plenty of room to lay down, sun, walk around, etc. Capt. Chip is MORE than happy to tell you whatever you want to know about the sandbar, stingrays, the reef, etc. or answer any/all questions.

We spent about 45 minutes with the stingrays and an hour at the reef. He didn't rush us from the stingrays, but he did say when the food is all gone, the 'rays will be too. And so we were limited NOT by his time, but by how fast we fed out all the bait!

They were all professional, courteous, and even let my son jump off the boat in the reef (once I assured him he does it all the time off his uncle's boat and is a good swimmer).

We chose them because they were VERY reasonable, smaller boat-smaller groups, and the TYPE of boat (we surely enjoyed sailing back!). I don't think I would ever go w/anyone but them again!

Oh, they drop you off wherever you want once you're done. Some of our group wanted to be let off at a restaurant Chip had recommended and some chose the dock, and SOME wanted something different. He accomodated us all!

Edited by happybooker1

• 1 year later...

First post here...Chip was my roomate in high school and I booked with him for March this year. I haven't seen him in over 15 years so looking forward to it. He was born and raised in the Caymans but went to the U.S. for high school and college. Super nice guy, swims like a fish, and knows everything about the islands. I did Captain Marvin's last time I went and they were good (Chip was out of town then) but I am really looking forward to my trip this time.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Locate Stingray Sailing on Trip Advisor. All reviews are either excellent or very good. More intimate, less expensive than the "guaranteed" cruise ship excursion. Intelligent, polite, engaged staff.

We watched cruise ship excursion guests perform the "zombie wade" over to the Stingray Sailing catamaran to gain breathing room, and actually be able to interact with the huge rays.

Would this excursion be good for a person who has never snorkeled before?

or is this aimed for the vetern snorkelers?

I was just went on this excursion with Chip and his crew last Friday. I have never snorkled before and I was very comfortable. In fact only myself and my friend had snorkeling gear. The other 6 on the excursion just used fins/snorkels/masks provided by Chip.

It is not geared towards those are veteren snorklers...although they may get something out of it. You will be just fine.

Can we bring our own underwater camera? Also the boat - is there places to sit on the side and not on the tarp? My father uses a walker and would love to come along and watch but I know he would need a nice spot to sit also do you tip at the end?? Not sure since it's the owner taking you

Edited by kiraryker

Can we bring our own underwater camera? Also the boat - is there places to sit on the side and not on the tarp? My father uses a walker and would love to come along and watch but I know he would need a nice spot to sit also do you tip at the end?? Not sure since it's the owner taking you

Yes...you can bring your own underwater camera. There is no pressure to buy the pictures that are taken aboard his catamaran. Also, if you don't want pictures taken, you just politely decline.

There is space to sit on each side of the catamaran. We sat there instead of the tarp as it was pouring out when we went out to Sting Ray City. It is a open air covered area so sun won't be an issue.

At the end, the photographer makes a a quick speech reintroducing Chip, Chip's dad, and himself and stating that they really appreciate us going on the excursion, if we did not want to buy pictures then but decide to later on to email him and tips are appreciated (but not required). You also settle up your bill at the end (we only paid a deposit so we still owed the balance).

Yes...you can bring your own underwater camera. There is no pressure to buy the pictures that are taken aboard his catamaran. Also, if you don't want pictures taken, you just politely decline.

There is space to sit on each side of the catamaran. We sat there instead of the tarp as it was pouring out when we went out to Sting Ray City. It is a open air covered area so sun won't be an issue.

At the end, the photographer makes a a quick speech reintroducing Chip, Chip's dad, and himself and stating that they really appreciate us going on the excursion, if we did not want to buy pictures then but decide to later on to email him and tips are appreciated (but not required). You also settle up your bill at the end (we only paid a deposit so we still owed the balance).

Thank you!! Your information was very helpful

Sorry for the question - but i'm sure my husband is wondering about it so I will find an answer before he worries too much.

He is always aware of germs - if you use the stingray sailing tours snorkel equipment I'm assuming it would have been sanitized after each use. We do not own our own and have never been snorkeling before so would prefer not to purchase our own just yet if we don't need too.

and it sounds like you are not required/pushed to snorkel. That you can just relax on the boat if you wish.

Sorry for the question - but i'm sure my husband is wondering about it so I will find an answer before he worries too much.

He is always aware of germs - if you use the stingray sailing tours snorkel equipment I'm assuming it would have been sanitized after each use. We do not own our own and have never been snorkeling before so would prefer not to purchase our own just yet if we don't need too.

and it sounds like you are not required/pushed to snorkel. That you can just relax on the boat if you wish.

I did not use Stingray Sailings equipment...I had my own therefore the though of sanitizing did not enter my mind. You can email them as Michelle (Chip's wife) is very responsive to emails. It is a legitimate concern...with that said, I would thing they do sanitize.

You are not required or pushed to snorkel at all. The catamaran is anchored and you can just sit and rest on the boat or you can lay out on the tarp. You can even just swim if you want with out snorkeling. I think the water is 10 feet at that point so you won't be touching the floor of the ocean. It was only 3 to 4 feet at the most where the stingrays are...so you are standing where the sting rays are.

Really, it is a restful and enjoyable excursion.

He is always aware of germs - if you use the stingray sailing tours snorkel equipment I'm assuming it would have been sanitized after each use. ...

Dive and snorkel tour operators routinely sanitize masks and snorkels. They often use a commercial product that is similar to sanitizer used in commercial dishwasher machines or else soak in a dilute bleach solution - works the same.

I have no connection to this particular tour operator. Years ago I did work for a watersports operation in Cayman and we certainly sanitized our rental gear.

We are now booked with them for our upcoming cruise. They have been EXTREMELY responsive to all my questions. If you have any specific concerns, just ask them.

I booked them due to the recommendations on this board and the fact a catamaran sounded like something different and fun. We have a regular motor boat so are used to boats, we wanted something different.

We are now booked with them for our upcoming cruise. They have been EXTREMELY responsive to all my questions. If you have any specific concerns, just ask them.

I booked them due to the recommendations on this board and the fact a catamaran sounded like something different and fun. We have a regular motor boat so are used to boats, we wanted something different.

I did a catamaran snorkel in Grand Turks in May and loved the Catamaran. I love to be looking out at the water instead of with my back to the water like most boats make you sit. That is one of the main reasons why I booked with Stingray Sailing plus they are very reponsive and helpful as you stated.