What RCCL excursion have you taken in Montego Bay Jamaica

bajathree

We did a short (4 hr) one and really enjoyed it. I don't remember the name of it but include a visit to a bird santuary, old water wheel, and a banana plantation. The guide was very friendly and answered all questions, and yes Jamacia does have a bobsled team! The bird santuary was enjoyable, even got to feed the birds. The water wheel was more of a photo opt and to "buy" local crafts. The banana plantation was the best. Our kids even liked it. Never knew that so many things were made from the banana tree! Got to sample banana liquer and other drinks. The countryside was breath taking. The tour was on an air conditioned bus. For a ship excursion, this has been one of our favorites. Felt safe since it was a ship excursion. Group left and was dropped off at the ship pier.

We took a very lengthy excursion up the mountains to the Appleton Rum Distillery. There we had a very good lunch of Jamaican cuisine, then toured the plantation and saw how rum is made from the sugar cane to the barral stage. Lots of photo ops. Then we were allowed to sip many different kinds of rum and purchase Appleton rum, some in special hard-to-find blends. (They were confiscated at the ship and returned to us the last night.)

We went up to the rum distillery on a long, narrow very winding road and returned on a different, long, narrow very winding road. If you tend to get car sick or do not enjoy scarey moutain rides, this is not the excursion for you. The ride, however, is very scenic, through many picturesque villages, past picturesque churches and spectacular tropical trees, plants and flowers and shrubs.

Though we left on this excursion very early, we barely made it back to the ship on time. I have vowed to NEVER again sign up for an excursion that cuts the timing so closely.

We had a group of about 20 (adults and kids of all ages) and took a taxi/bus to Margaritaville for the day. It was great. They have a huge slide going into the ocean and lots of water toys when you get down there. We ate and drank and the kids had a ball! The bus driver also stopped at some local shops for us to do shopping before heading back. Great day on our own and no excursion. You can check out the Margaritaville location on their website.

We had a group of about 20 (adults and kids of all ages) and took a taxi/bus to Margaritaville for the day. It was great. They have a huge slide going into the ocean and lots of water toys when you get down there. We ate and drank and the kids had a ball! The bus driver also stopped at some local shops for us to do shopping before heading back. Great day on our own and no excursion. You can check out the Margaritaville location on their website.

Thats good to know....I was wondering if Margaritaville is kid friendly......good to hear it's not girls gone wild:eek:

We took a banana raft trip down a river. That also included a rum tasting. Very tame, (except for the 160 proof rum). But then I am elderly, (75) Went to Dunn's River Falls an earlier time. Has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. If I remember right, it was about a two hour bus ride from MoBay. Back to the banana raft trip, our guide on the raft was very good, he stopped several times, once to cut a beautiful flower. He gave it to me, "To present to my bride". Another stop, he got a fresh coconut, and a piece of small bamboo. He cut the top off the coconut, and put in the bamboo to use as a straw, and had us drink the water in the coconut. It was a clear liquid, very refreshing. I told him I thought there would be milk in the coconut, he said that was the riper ones. All in all, we did enjoy it. By the way, we went with my son and daughter in law, (in their early 50's) and they enjoyed it too.

we did the 4 x 4 safari, got off road into the island's interior, saw some sights, inside an old church that was the only surviving structure from an early 1800's slave rebellion, to a smaller waterfall. It was okay, though sitting in MoBay traffic for about an hour as we tried to crawl out of port in the AM got us of to a poor start. did get us out of tourist areas and enabled us to see areas where residents live and the types of stores they have. we had DS (11 at the time) with us, so it was very educational for him in terms of seeing how other parts of the world live.

We did the beach/Margaritaville tour (can't remember the name). Make sure you bring cash - our credit card number was stolen at the food place on the beach, and we apparently bought lots of petrol for the waiter and all of his friends!

We did the beach/Margaritaville tour (can't remember the name). Make sure you bring cash - our credit card number was stolen at the food place on the beach, and we apparently bought lots of petrol for the waiter and all of his friends!

Sorry to hear that....that sucks!!!

Was it this tour you took:

Cruise, Beach and Fun - MJ52

You'll start your day with a sightseeing cruise across the waters of Montego Bay before arriving at the beach. Enjoy the sun, sand and sea before your cruise to famous Margaritaville. Here, you'll have time to take in the party atmosphere before your cruise back to the pier.

I have been trying to find people who took this.....what beach did they take you to:confused:I found only one review of this tour and it said the beach they went to was a public beach and they were very hastled...followed into the water, bathroom ect.....they even had a drug issue as in someone stuck drugs in their pocket and then demand money:eek::eek::eek:

Not a ships excursion but an easy excursion is Sunset Beach Resort---near the pier-beatiful beach--pools lazy river and water slide---all inclusive with great drinks and decent food---lots of chair and shade--no pushy vendors or drug dealers--couple of shops off the lobby

its $60 per adult/$30 per kids---they prefer cash---

jmho

Paul

we had a great day and would do it again in a heartbeat

We did a short (4 hr) one and really enjoyed it. I don't remember the name of it but include a visit to a bird santuary, old water wheel, and a banana plantation. The guide was very friendly and answered all questions, and yes Jamacia does have a bobsled team! The bird santuary was enjoyable, even got to feed the birds. The water wheel was more of a photo opt and to "buy" local crafts. The banana plantation was the best. Our kids even liked it. Never knew that so many things were made from the banana tree! Got to sample banana liquer and other drinks. The countryside was breath taking. The tour was on an air conditioned bus. For a ship excursion, this has been one of our favorites. Felt safe since it was a ship excursion. Group left and was dropped off at the ship pier.

We did this excurison also. It was very nice. The bird santuary was humingbirds and it was neat to feed them. We got some great pictures.

Banana plantation was also neat. Went into the fields and got an explanation of the banana.

You're right about the water wheel and photo op/souviners.

I did the 4 hour bird sanctuary and banana plantation, and water wheel but I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy it. The day we were there they were very unorganized and we were supposed to be able to taste the liquers but our timing was off with our tour group so we missed that part and to be honest I didn't care for the bird sanctuary either so it was not one of my favorites. Just my opinion of course.

Other people I was with did the tubing and they enjoyed that. It was tame but they had a good time and they enjoyed their guide a lot.

Hello from Germany,

we did Mobay in February and took the 'Great River Bamboo Rafting'. A spectactular and absolut quiet tour. Very interesting because the Rafts man get coconuts from the trees and made straws of the Bammboos. Very good tour guide on the bus, she sang there hymn absolut perfect. Had much fun with the whole group. All inclusive is new now.

have a great trip.

Achim

We took a very lengthy excursion up the mountains to the Appleton Rum Distillery. There we had a very good lunch of Jamaican cuisine, then toured the plantation and saw how rum is made from the sugar cane to the barral stage. Lots of photo ops. Then we were allowed to sip many different kinds of rum and purchase Appleton rum, some in special hard-to-find blends. (They were confiscated at the ship and returned to us the last night.)

We went up to the rum distillery on a long, narrow very winding road and returned on a different, long, narrow very winding road. If you tend to get car sick or do not enjoy scarey moutain rides, this is not the excursion for you. The ride, however, is very scenic, through many picturesque villages, past picturesque churches and spectacular tropical trees, plants and flowers and shrubs.

Though we left on this excursion very early, we barely made it back to the ship on time. I have vowed to NEVER again sign up for an excursion that cuts the timing so closely.

We were supposed to do Croyden but the shorex folks cancelled it the night before and never told us. Only thing left was Appletons and you are right if you get car sick DONT GO.

When we got there wife was the color of the van - GREEN! Tour giude took her over to the coffee bar and told the guy to give her Ginger Tea - 20 min later she was fine. Guy even gave us 4 bags to take home. Found the stuff at the pier and bought 2 boxes. When she had back surgery 2 wks later (planned) it really helped her settle her stomach form the anesthesia. The Rhum Creme was to die for.

My DH and I usually take a taxi to Margaritaville for a couple of hours, and then walk a short distance to Doctor Cave Beach. DC Beach charges $5 per person to get in. It is a beautiful beach and there are places to sit if you want to. We ask our taxi driver to pick us up at a certain time and he does.:)

Archived