Hurricane/Storm Reroute Question

CARMNRICO

Just found out that our cruise (Majesty to Bahamas/Key West) could be affected by Tropical Storm and was wondering if they would reroute us to different ports or would it be 4 days at sea? I've heard that other lines may do the itinerary in reverse.....is that a possibility?

Please share your thoughts or experiences. I'm also concerned about motion sickness during a storm.......How bad can it get?

Thanks everyone.

On Mariner last month instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten, we went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Yeah we were a bit disappointed, but in mother nature, not Royal Caribbean. When you cruise in hurricane season my feeling is we take what we get :)

Honestly, my biggest concern was a storm in Florida that might prevent me from GETTING TO THE SHIP ;). Once I'm on board, it can go anywhere (including days at sea). I figure I'm not at work, no laundry, no cooking, no dishes, no phones, no computers...and I can get a foo foo drink anytime I want at the pool. You can't ask for a better vacation than that. :)

Thanks for replying. You have a good point, at least we won't be at home. :D I'm just hoping that it's good weather and that we at least make it to Nassau and Key West....I know Coco Cay is a crap shoot anyway depending on the seas.

Love the pic of your dog. Is it a Jack Russel? We have a "baby" too....a rat terrier.

On Mariner last month instead of St. Thomas and St. Maarten, we went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Yeah we were a bit disappointed, but in mother nature, not Royal Caribbean. When you cruise in hurricane season my feeling is we take what we get :)

Honestly, my biggest concern was a storm in Florida that might prevent me from GETTING TO THE SHIP ;). Once I'm on board, it can go anywhere (including days at sea). I figure I'm not at work, no laundry, no cooking, no dishes, no phones, no computers...and I can get a foo foo drink anytime I want at the pool. You can't ask for a better vacation than that. :)

Ditto BDL!!! I'm almost scared senseless...we sail on the Serenade this weekend and I can't stop thinking about having a problem flying out of Miami to San Juan on Saturday morning!!! :eek: Everybody keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks for replying. You have a good point, at least we won't be at home. :D I'm just hoping that it's good weather and that we at least make it to Nassau and Key West....I know Coco Cay is a crap shoot anyway depending on the seas.

Love the pic of your dog. Is it a Jack Russel? We have a "baby" too....a rat terrier.

She (Misha) is a Jack Russel/Beagle mix we rescued 7 years ago from the pound. Now that we're empty nesters she's definitely my 'baby'. I love that the Jack Russels/Beagles/Rat Terriers all keep their puppy face look even when older. People can't usually beleive she's over 8 already.

Ditto BDL!!! I almost scared senseless...we sail on the Serenade this weekend and I can't stop thinking about having a problem flying out of Miami to San Juan on Saturday morning!!! :eek: Everybody keep your fingers crossed!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Have a wonderful trip!

Well, many of our reliable hurricane forecast models move Paloma across Cuba on Sunday into the central/southern Bahamas on Monday as a weakening tropical storm. The official National Hurricane Center (NHC) forecast is even slower than these models suggest since they are going conservative on the timing of a trough of lower pressure which is what will eject the storm to the northeast. In the meantime (next 0-48 h) expect Paloma to get pretty strong which will impact the Caymans and southern Cuba :( By the time the storm gets to ~20 degrees North strong westerly wind shear will start to take her apart :D

So for those of us going out to the east or even the Bahamas next week we "should" be okay after Monday. Although, I'm supposed to be in Coco Cay on Monday and that is likely in jeopardy due to rough seas. The storm will be more than 150 miles to the southeast, but it does not take much for the captain to cancel the tenders. Oh well as long as we still get to St Thomas and St Martin. Good luck to all those cruising this and next week.

Tropical Weather Update

November 7, 2008 – Noon s.gif

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Paloma to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety of our guests and crew members is always our foremost concern.

Given the location and projected path of Hurricane Paloma, we are altering the itinerary of one ship:

Ships sailing from the Port of Baltimore

• Grandeur of the Seas, which departed October 30, will not make its scheduled port of call in Georgetown, Cayman Islands, Saturday. Instead, the ship will visit Cozumel, Mexico that day.

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean International ships are being adversely impacted by tropical weather. We will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information Friday, November 7, at 6:30 p.m.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

Just found out that our cruise (Majesty to Bahamas/Key West) could be affected by Tropical Storm and was wondering if they would reroute us to different ports or would it be 4 days at sea? I've heard that other lines may do the itinerary in reverse.....is that a possibility?

Please share your thoughts or experiences. I'm also concerned about motion sickness during a storm.......How bad can it get?

Thanks everyone.

A few years back I was on the Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean cruise), and ran into Hurricane Jeanne at the tail end of our cruise. They will revise your itinerary as they go along to avoid the storm, so you don't have to worry about motion sickness. Even though it was extremely windy outside, I didn't feel like the ship was rocking any harder than usual. I think most likely they will take you to the closest safe port instead of just cruising around for 4 days. What happened to us was that instead of heading for home, we had to make a pit stop in Jamaica (wasn't on the itinerary) and had 2 extra days on the cruise. Even though all of our flight plans got messed up, nobody was complaining! :p Royal Caribbean was extremely accomodating in that they let us use the phone and internet for free to contact our work, families, airlines, etc. Don't worry, have a great cruise!

I'm on the Majesty departing Monday out of Miami, and I was thinking it might be logical for them to reverse the itinerary if the storm is looking to hit the Bahamas on Tuesday.

Instead of Nassau, CocoCay, Key West, do

Key West, CocoCay, Nassau

I'm going to keep a close watch as I have a Comfort Suites reserved for Tues that I might want to cancel or change.

Hello Carmenrico.... I am on your cruise too!! Just watching the weather channel and it looks like it will be at the bahamas by monday.. so I dont think we'll have much to worry about... I swear by dramamime (less drowsy formula!!) I feel the waves w/o the stomach problems or you could try the sea bands :) See you at Schooners lounge at 3p??

Sounds like Grand Cayman didn't get it too badly....thank goodness! http://www.caymannetnews.com/breaknews-11326--1-1---.html

We just went through an pretty serious hurricane (Ike) and it is a long road back.....gives one a whole new appreciation for what people go through to get back up and running after a bad storm!

Archived