We have hit a snag here

Fruitloopz

I went to my Doctor he said I can go, he is faxing everything to the fax number the ship gave to us. So therefore with that said...I AM HYPED...YEAH! READY TO ROLL! GETTING STUFFED PACKED AND SO EXCITED! The only thing is if i do get sea sick I still need to get the shot in the butt I can not take the OTC meds because of my other meds :mad: but that is a not bad trade off now is it! :)

I guess I might do something in advance.

BUT - experience has shown that talking to person "A" today does not mean person "B" tomorrow will have a clue what the heck your are talking about. With that said, and not to cause alarm, I would assume you would always carry some type of document of what sort of treatment you would need. After all, you must travel locally and you did mention that the Dr is often difficult to reach. Therefore, you could just as easily have a problem near home as well as on a ship and would need treatment, yes?

Therefore, have with you the instructions and what is needed. I am surely not a Dr, but from what you have described, it sure sounds like something just about any medical person could handle, as long as they knew.

Glad to hear things are working out. Go enjoy your cruise.

I always have a very large package in my purse that has all my medications and a very detailed written out instruction sheet what it is ..what to do...what not to do...and so forth I NEVER leave home without it. Which has came in quite handy for situations where we needed medical help for me.

The medical staff is aware of my condition they simply asked for me to go see my Doctor which I did my primary who called my neurologist and they cleared it for me to go and they have faxed to the medical staff everything they have asked for. What it is ...What Medications I am on..What should they do if a emergency arises as far as treatment is concerned.

Another thing is I NEVER travel alone be it at home or far away I always have either my DH or My DD's or DS's with me who know what this is...and all have the doctors business cards in their wallets with phone numbers and they know what meds I am taking so I feel comfortable I am covered.

Also I wear a alert bracelet.

I mean here is the bottom line this is NOT CUREABLE it is a brain and central nervous system disorder there is NOTHING no one can do with the exception to help me ride it thru if need be and help me the best they know how to do. That is the mentally hard part of it. The heat issue is the least of my problems that is for certain it not only effects me by dehydration it does about 3 dozen other things to me as well...each day is different...but I AM NOT LETTING THAT STOP ME FROM LIVING EITHER...so thanks and your so right and I do have every possible thing covered to give me the best chance for help.

I will ask my Primary Doctor to do that exact thing TEACH US how to help me in these situations verses calling 911 and ask for the supplies to keep on hand and not allow it to have to get to that point if possible

I will shadow the suggestion that you "force" your doctor to have someone teach you and a partner how to start an IV on yourself.

If your doctor brings up anything about state or federal laws prohibiting this (laws about untrained individuals practicing nursing), simply remind him that you require the training to assist yourself in emergency life saving treatment for times which you are in another country or otherwise unable to contact qualified medical professionals. This is allowed by all state and federal laws as well as medical ethics. I just mention this because some doctors will try and use that as an excuse to not provide you with the training and supplies you need.

You can then travel anywhere with your saline and be assured you will be able to receive the care you require.

I will shadow the suggestion that you "force" your doctor to have someone teach you and a partner how to start an IV on yourself.

If your doctor brings up anything about state or federal laws prohibiting this (laws about untrained individuals practicing nursing), simply remind him that you require the training to assist yourself in emergency life saving treatment for times which you are in another country or otherwise unable to contact qualified medical professionals. This is allowed by all state and federal laws as well as medical ethics. I just mention this because some doctors will try and use that as an excuse to not provide you with the training and supplies you need.

You can then travel anywhere with your saline and be assured you will be able to receive the care you require.

Just another critical care nurse jumping in...it took me a long time to become proficient in IV starting, it isn't something that you can learn (or rather become good at) overnight - no less in an emergent situation of a loved one! Teaching someone to give an injection is like comparing apples to oranges, too totally different procedures. I wouldnt try to learn how to start an IV before your trip.....who ya gonna practice on anyway????

The staff on board can handle the IV start with ease, they just want a plan of care to follow. Again, knowledge is power. They may also benefit from a general description of your diagnosis and your current management plan that can be referred to QUICKLY as needed in sn urgent/emergent situation.

If it were me, the original plan of having a detailed plan of care from your primary physician faxed ahead of time, as well as carried with you in person, is the way to go. Whatever info your neurologist sent to your primary is plenty of info for the cruise ship staff.

Of note, phone numbers, remembering that there may be on call coverage during the times you will be sailing, will also be of use should they need to make an emergent call to your primary. We often call primary's when we need MORE info, RIGHT NOW during a crisis. I have had operators at hospital patch us through to a docs cell phone if needed and this can be of tremendous value. Be aware that the "covering" physician may not have any clue about you or your medical needs. Make sure our own doc knows to take calls concerning you when you're gone if you're condition may warrant this.

I would also consider all ports of call as far as care issues. Some of the ports I've visited are not able to provide the kind of care I would want if I needed emergent services.

Hope you have a great cruise.....and that you are healthy.... and do not require any of these services you are putting into place proactively.

Jan

Yes I have no plan on learning how to do this at the moment, I mean i poke myself daily several times a day as it is for glucose levels and that is enough for me at the moment. BOTH Doctors are aware and know I am going with their blessing and they both have given us in the past their cell phone numbers so when my family has had to call them or the ER they do answer it.. this we we bypass their answering service.I have to say something about these Doctors they are wonderful to me. They do everything in their power to help me and are always so kind and they truly do care about my care.

I thought I would just add my encouragement for you to go and enjoy your cruise with sound mind that the NCL medical facilities are sufficient to support your needs. When I cruised in October with my son who has a severe anaphlaxis dairy allergy, I researched the medical facilities available prior to booking. The ship did send me a link to the cruise ship requirements for their medical facilities. They basically have a mini ER with about 3 rooms and a doctor. When I went to the site and read everything they are required to stock I knew they would be able to handle a medical emergency with my son if one occured. I was an ER nurse and my husband is a paramedic so we know exactly what can happen and what the ship needed to have to take care of him. I also used to review for insurance companies so I requested in writing from the insurance company that we would be covered for any medical emergencies while onboard the ship or while traveling in foreign countries. It sounds like your Drs. have made sure you have all your medical orders prepared and the ship is ready. I was able to sail with my son with peace of mind and I was really impressed with how conscientious NCL staff were with him. He has a very specialized diet of foods he has to avoid to prevent his anaphylaxis and the ship staff took his diet seriously and prevented any emergencies for us. It was one of the best vacations we have ever had and I wouldn't hesitate to vacation with him again. I am glad you are excited to go and hope you find your experience with the NCL staff as positive as ours. It definitely makes you have to give more thought than most when you live with a medical condition. I almost didn't take my son on our cruise. I am glad that instead I took time to talk to his drs. and the cruise line so that he could enjoy smooth sailing with us and wish the same for you.

The got all the information from my Doctor and A-Okayed it! I can board the only thing they have requested now is once I board to come down and introduce myself!:)

I AM PACKED AND READY TO GO! :D

I definately will post when I return to give my review and pictures!:)

Ruth...I am fully covered for all medical care be it anywhere world wide...on land..air..and sea. I know that might be hard to believe but we are. Actually I am double covered. I can not go into great details as to why I have so much insurance on a open board but I am deeply moved at your concern for me and our welfare with this insurance..but trust me we are fully covered no matter where we may be. :)

One thing you might do is take copies of your insurance claim forms with you just in case (as insurance so to speak). On our last cruise MaryBeth came down with a severe case of bronchitis. We submitted the paper work we got from the ship's doctor and they sat on it for 6 months saying it didn't match their forms. Note, they didn't deny the claim or travel insurance would have kicked in. I don't know if they had to wait until they could actually contact the ship's doctor or what.

The got all the information from my Doctor and A-Okayed it! I can board the only thing they have requested now is once I board to come down and introduce myself!:)

I AM PACKED AND READY TO GO! :D

I definately will post when I return to give my review and pictures!:)

have a great cruise....relax and enjoy yourself!!

jan

Archived