Live From The JEWELL Of The SEAS

The "Secret Route" to the Helicopter Deck...

From Deck 5, the Boat Deck, walk forward toward the bow on either side of the ship.

DSCN7771.jpg

You will come to a small gate with a sign on it. The gate has been open every day so far on our cruise.

DSCN7769.jpg

Walk past the gate and continue toward the bow and up the stairs.

DSCN7770.jpg

DSCN7768.jpg

The "Secret Route" to the Helicopter Deck (Part 2)

Once you are there you can walk to the bow and look straight forward or down to the water below.

DSCN7765.jpg

They have a small "thingie" for your wife or girlfriend (but not both) to stand on while you pose for your "Titanic Style" photo.

DSCN7762.jpg

Here is a shot looking from the bow back up to the bridge.

DSCN7763.jpg

You don't see the Captain or any of his Officers up there running the ship do You!

Do You Know Why?

It is because someone up there probably said something like,

"Look at those two Old Coots down there playing Titanic!"

And they are all rolling around on the deck laughing their butts off!

Is the Concierge Lounge being used for the 5:00 PM to 8:30 PM drinks and snacks?

Someone had posted that the Concierge on the Jewel was having the Suite Guest join all the Diamond Members in the Crown Viking Lounge and was not opening the CL in the evenings.

Just noticed that you guys are sailing the Jewel on the cruise right after ours:D.

Great Report!

How has the food been! Did you bring along your Tux or can you get by with a Dark Suit!

I love lobster! Do they still offer it frequently?

Hope you enjoy your cruise as I am looking forward to being on the JOS December 19, 2008.

Great Report!

How has the food been! Did you bring along your Tux or can you get by with a Dark Suit!

I love lobster! Do they still offer it frequently?

Hope you enjoy your cruise as I am looking forward to being on the JOS December 19, 2008.

We have not had Lobster yet and I read on the Boards that it is no longer offered.

They do offer a sea food platter of some sort with shrimp and a small Lobster Tail. I will let you know when we have it.

The first three nights the food in the Dining Room was Excellent! Last night it was disappointing. Of the six of us at the table we had four different entrées and we were all disappointed. More on that later.

We are thinking of taking the trip next November on Jewel. It said it is an 11 day cruise. Different itinerary I was hoping it would have less kids since it was a smaller ship. Does it have a cafe that is open 24 hours like the bigger ships.

The "Secret Route" to the Helicopter Deck (Part 2)

Once you are there you can walk to the bow and look straight forward or down to the water below.

DSCN7765.jpg

They have a small "thingie" for your wife or girlfriend (but not both) to stand on while you pose for your "Titanic Style" photo.

DSCN7762.jpg

Here is a shot looking from the bow back up to the bridge.

DSCN7763.jpg

You don't see the Captain or any of his Officers up there running the ship do You!

Do You Know Why?

It is because someone up there probably said something like,

"Look at those two Old Coots down there playing Titanic!"

And they are all rolling around on the deck laughing their butts off!

Haha, YOU are too much Trainman!! I laugh at alot of what you say, like the (ugh pooh) smokers that you are, but so are we. I guess that's what makes me enjoy your "Live Posts" sooo much....Keep them coming, lol;)

We are thinking of taking the trip next November on Jewel. It said it is an 11 day cruise. Different itinerary I was hoping it would have less kids since it was a smaller ship. Does it have a café that is open 24 hours like the bigger ships.

The Windjammer opens at 6:30 or 7:00 am every day. There are various snacks around the ship with the latest in the Solarium Café until 1:00 am.

Between 1:00 am and the opening of the Windjammer in the morning you will starve unless you lay in a supply of cookies in case of a snack emergency.

There is no 24 hour place like on the Mariner and the larger ships.

This is almost a kid free cruise we are on! Almost NO Teenagers! :D

Now that our Son is off on his own we are free to cruise while schools are in session and we are planning to do this more often.

Day 6 - Panama Canal & Cristobal Pier

We had a great transit of the Atlantic Locks this morning. Here is a photo I took about 4:30 am this morning from our balcony on Deck 7.

DSCN7863.jpg

We are now parked in Gatun Lake and the tours are disembarking. We are heading up for some pool time and later on I will try to get caught up uploading photos and then do some more posting.

Here are some selected photos (In order) of our West Bound transit this morning...

DSCN7877.jpg

DSCN7880.jpg

The small 'bay' on the left (below) is will be the entrance to the third, larger, set of locks presently under construction.

DSCN7884.jpg

This is all that remains of the French attempt to build a sea level canal.

DSCN7897.jpg

DSCN7906.jpg

DSCN7921.jpg

Trainman-2: Great series of posts. Off the Jewel last July (Baltic) and currently booked next September (Transatlantic). Your insight is very funny and the pics are a reminder of why we rebooked on this ship.

As for the wi-fi....When we travelled in July, I was told by the crew and confirmed myself that the wireless in the Schooner Bar was the fastest (if the word fast is appropriate at all). I found the area outside Portofino's just behind the piano was best. And yes, the cruisecritic server was very slow (or down) this AM. Hopefully, you will not need any of those dollar coins to pay the internet fees.

You're right about the kids. Many on board in July. Looking forward to that September date. Keep the details coming.

A Clean Ship Is A Happy Ship!

Last night we were told that after transiting the canal the ship would be covered with black marks and rub streaks. Sure enough, it Was!

Here are two photos of the "Rubber Wheel" at the entrance to the locks. The second one is looking down from our cabin between a rail and the side of the ship.

DSCN7930.jpg

DSCN7931.jpg

By the time we got off the ship and onto Cristobal Pier, they had already pressure washed off the black marks and were spot painting where needed.

DSCN8071.jpg

DSCN8073.jpg

Panama - Cristobal Pier

Cristobal Pier was a shopping experience. There were no additional tour opportunities. The ship docked at a commercial pier where the Panamanians had build a large building where the local Panamanians could sell their handi-work.

The local Indians are known for their needle work and carvings and there was a lot of really nice stuff. Embroidered table cloths and napkins and wood carvings in addition to all of the usual souvenir stuff.

The exit from deck 4 was steep and very difficult for Carol to negotiate. In cases where she is having trouble, usually stairways, I have learned to stand behind her with my hands on both hand rails to keep people in a hurry from knocking her down. When we re-boarded the ship it was on deck 3 and much easier.

DSCN8064.jpg

DSCN8067.jpg

DSCN8066.jpg

DSCN8065.jpg

We bought a $5 tee shirt and $2 refrigerator magnet.

The last of the big spenders for sure! :eek:

Great pictures! Sounds like you are having a great cruise.

A couple of smoking/non smoking area questions:

*Is the Schooner Bar smoke free or does it have a smoking area?

*Same for the Champagne Bar

*Same for place where pool tables are.

Thanks and enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Archived