When is Best Time to Buy Upgrade???

We are cruising on Jan. 15th and our final payment date is Nov. 6th. We want to upgrade from a family stateroom to a grand suite. It seems that there are at least 6 still available. Other than at the pier, when is the best time to try to buy an upgrade?? Once the final payments are due, do the upgrade prices drop??

There is no definitive answer to your question. There is no guarantee that the price will drop whether it be before final, after final or closer to sailing. There is also no gty that there will be any left when you arrive at the pier. The question would be, how badly do you want the cabin? In other words, the best time to upgrade would be when the price seems good to you.

My opinion on upgrades - make sure you book a cabin that you will be happy with. If thinking about upgrading don't put your hopes up to high only to possibly be let down.

Chances are when you get to the pier to check in you will more than likely be told the ship is sold out and your possible pier upgrade is gone.

I would keep an eye on the prices and if they drop, book your upgrade before you board to avoid any disappointment.

On the other hand, you could take your chance and save a bundle by upgrading at the pier.

Morale of the story is, if you are happy with the cabin you currently have booked keep it. If you get an upgrade at the pier it is a bonus.

Enjoy your cruise and good luck with your decision.

screagan, We have a suite booked on the starboard side of the Grandeur but our travel agent knows we prefer another one on the port side of the ship. He has us wait-listed with RCCL on that other suite. Maybe this is something you could try?

I wasnt going cuising untill next April on a 14 day Transatlantic but now through seeing a good fare advertised we are doing a back to back 21 day cruise next week.Because of the price we opted for a outside gaurantee and yes no life boats.Great deck however forward cabin.We thought we might see about a balcony having cruised balconies always.

I looked on the RCCL website about upgrades and it says that if available upgrades would be available at the original full fare rate.

Below is a copy from the RCCL website.

Can I change my stateroom?

Guests desiring to transfer to higher-priced accommodations, which may be available during boarding or after sailing, may do so by paying, in cash, with travelers checks, or by credit card, the difference in the published, full cruise vacation price.

At the moment my TA is offering the 1st Leg at the original Balcony discounted price and the second leg at a much higher rate.We have not made up our minds.

I am going on NOS next week. When I booked 8 weeks ago, the only thing outside available was guaranteed (no balconies). Today I upgraded to balcony for only $200 more. A real bargain! There was only 1 cabin available. If you are going to wait, keep checking the RCL website daily and see if something pops up in your price range. I noticed 2 weeks ago a balcony available at a low price on a friday too but by the time I reached my TA after the weekend, it was gone. Fridays seem to be the price lowering day.

Archived