pictures and info from Paloma

laughing husky

Those photos linked from StormCarib are of the damage from Cayman Brac and Little Cayman which at about 90 miles away from Grand Cayman. They got hit with the full force of Paloma at Category 4 strength.

Paloma passed Grand Cayman without the eye ever coming ashore. Only the easternmost tip of the island may have experienced hurricane force wind for a short time. If you look at the photos Twinkletoes has linked to please note these observations: 1)leaves are still on trees 2) a very few of the trees were blown down 3) Vehicles pre-positioned onto higher ground are not in standing water 4) Vehicles are parked in an orderly manner meaning they were not moved by wind or storm surge. 5) Roadways are essentially clear with most standing water along the sides of the road. 6) where there is standing water on the road, the road is still passable 7) light poles are all up. 8) none of the building lost their roofs.

I assure you that Grand Cayman is up and running just fine.

Drew, where in Cayman do you live? I miss home sometimes, but Alaska has lots of similarities....not the land....the people....

Jim Foster

I live on the very tip of East End. The house is on the shore and built on stilts. Waves did not even make it half way from the beach to the house. In Gustav water was washing under the house.

Though there may have been hurricane force winds for a brief time in East End, I would not say East End was in any way "hit".

The greastest damage in Grand Cayman came from flooding of low-lying areas due to heavy amounts of rain. The usual places flooded in Newlands, Windsor Park, and a large puddle of standing water was on the road in front of the Bodden Town Police Station.

Prior to Paloma we had about 10 days of unsettled weather with lots of rain. The ground was already saturated when Paloma dumped up to 12 inches of rain in certain places. On such a flat island, that much rain has nowhere to go.

Archived