Tomorrow...... 11/11/08

cunard_cruiser

Well, I've just about finished my packing for the trip to see off the QE2 tomorrow as my father and I are on the Red Eagle 18:45 departure from Southampton (although we will be leaving Manchester slightly earlier!!)

It's a very surreal feeling, I can't wait to see the grand old lady but at the same time I don't want it to happen and, it finally is happening - I certainly can't imagine what the lucky few who are travelling on board are feeling tonight.

Lets hope that we all have a send off to remember, I sure their won't be a dry eye on the water, stange really how we all become enthralled by an in-animate object isn't it!

I was sorting out the final plans tonight and my dad told me about when he went down to see the Queen Mary leave on her final voyage - it was the first time my Mum had seen him cry in public. The one fantastic thing that happened when the Mary left was that all the dock cranes moved to the same position and then dipped in salute as she sailed past - sadly I don't think this won't be possible tomorrow on two counts, one hardly any are left and secondly we probably wouldn't see it anyway in the dark.

To anyone on board; make sure you raise a drink and toast your absent friends, enjoy and savour every moment,

to those on the water; lets make sure we give her the send off she deserves for all those memories,

to those who can't make it; I hope to be able to take some pictures and write some words that capture the event

John

John,

Do hope you will have a wonderful day tomorrow. I am hoping that the national news will cover the departure, if only briefly! Although we are lucky and have friends in the south who are going to record the event for us.

No matter where we all are, l am sure that we will be thinking of Queen Elizabeth 2 tomorrow, and also be thinking of her master and crew on this, her final voyage. God bless her.

Tears as l write. Look forward to seeing your final moments with her.

Jackie

John,

Do hope you will have a wonderful day tomorrow. I am hoping that the national news will cover the departure, if only briefly! Although we are lucky and have friends in the south who are going to record the event for us.

No matter where we all are, l am sure that we will be thinking of Queen Elizabeth 2 tomorrow, and also be thinking of her master and crew on this, her final voyage. God bless her.

Tears as l write. Look forward to seeing your final moments with her.

Jackie

Apparently part of the BBC south presentation will be available on the 'Red Button' (UK Digital) - presumably during the news.

Its also available on sky & online (BBC & ITV Local websites - though given the QE2 webcam is currently dark (overloaded?), there may be capacity issues with the websites :eek:)

hope you can catch some of it (I'll be there - assuming I make the marina on time:eek: & I'm still stressing over the dress code:D)

Karen

After a high quality breakfast in John's Grill (it's a smaller a more intimate venue than the Queens Grill...)

I'm just about to leave the door - not sure how the day will turn out, I've already have had a couple of watery eye moments (sounds more blokey that crying!) whilst watching the QE2 on the news

John

Archived