From JFK Airport to Brooklyn Port

WolfRiver

Hey there, we will be on the same cruise....once you get to the Airport..the other option would be to take the Port Authority shuttle bus which brings you into the middle of NYC...I believe it's $15 each...and from there another $10 taxi...I offer this option because I question the other replies $30 taxi cost...either way get a Taxi price and then get the Port Authority shuttle details...from there you can make a desicion...and I'll see you on board.

bob

Just booked a last minute cruise aboard QM2 for Nov. 21.

Too late to get transfers from the Airport to the Port.

What's the best way for me to get there?

Thanks!

We are also sailing with you, the price from JFK is a set price of 45.00 plus toll and tip, but will be much more convenient than transfering all over with your bags. C ya in 10 days!

I'm on this cruise too. I also recommend that you take a taxi directly from the airport. Just work out the fee before you leave the airport. I would be surprised, if the fair from NYC + bus tickets would be cheaper than just taking a taxi direct from JFK. Just bring some directions with you. Everyone says finding the port in Red Hook is tricky.

The easiest thing to do is just get a yellow cab at JFK. Sometimes, the line is long and you have to wait a while, but there are usually plenty. It should be about $45-50. (The $45 flat fare only applies if you are going to Manhattan.) It is about a 40 minute ride depending on the traffic.

I am on that cruise too! Welcome aboard.

Ginger

I live in Brooklyn a few miles from the dock, and unfortunately, I always wind up spending $40 something when I go to JFK airport. The fare is metered and tips are at your discretion.

Frankly, I think you will spend just as much if not more if you take the port authority bus into midtown. Cabfare from midtown to Red Hook is going to be more than $10.

However, if you have the time and don't mind carrying your luggage then I think taking a trip into Manhattan is a great way to spend your pre-cruise time. Just allow yourself plenty of time to get to the dock. This city is notorious for its gridlock. Also, I agree with others on this board who say to bring directions. Not all of the taxi drivers know there way around Brooklyn.

Have a great trip! Looking forward to seein you onboard

Ginger

I live in Brooklyn a few miles from the dock, and unfortunately, I always wind up spending $40 something when I go to JFK airport. The fare is metered and tips are at your discretion.

Frankly, I think you will spend just as much if not more if you take the port authority bus into midtown. Cabfare from midtown to Red Hook is going to be more than $10.

However, if you have the time and don't mind carrying your luggage then I think taking a trip into Manhattan is a great way to spend your pre-cruise time. Just allow yourself plenty of time to get to the dock. This city is notorious for its gridlock. Also, I agree with others on this board who say to bring directions. Not all of the taxi drivers know there way around Brooklyn.

Have a great trip! Looking forward to seein you onboard

Ginger

Ginger we dock on the 21 Nov at Brooklyn and we wish to get a taxi to JFK for a flight to Fort Myers. We read that offloading our own luggage means we are disembarked earlier than most - don't know if that is true or not - are the taxi's waiting on the dock? Is it true they are regulated? Somebody said ensure you arrange your fare before climbing on into the cab.

It is silly that something as trivial as getting a taxi can be concerning but for 1st timers, as we are, it is. Would it be worth arranging another taxi firm in Brooklyn to pick us up and then ringing them just as we are about to leave the QM2?

Any help and advice is gratefully received.

Cheers,

Christine

Not silly at all-- that's why we're here.

Taxi's are waiting on the dock. We gave a fellow $10 to load his trolley with our luggage and he got us a yellow cab. It was a bit much, but so what.

The yellow NYC 'Street taxi' is metered -- and licensed and regulated [as much as can be]. The meter rules-- you won't be able to arrange a fare beforehand, i believe -- the flat fare is from Manhattan to JFK, not brooklyn.

more info here

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

The NYC Taxi and Limousine Commission suggests a rate from JFK to Brooklyn of $38 plus tolls and of course tip. I would guess-estimate more, frankly.

If you choose instead to hire a car, they will not be yellow (usually a black sedan) and while they are licensed and somewhat regulated, they are not metered. In this case, they will quote you a fare beforehand (plus tolls and of course tip.)

If you want the extra peace of mind, yes, make arrangements with the Brooklyn car service.

Ginger we dock on the 21 Nov at Brooklyn and we wish to get a taxi to JFK for a flight to Fort Myers. We read that offloading our own luggage means we are disembarked earlier than most - don't know if that is true or not - are the taxi's waiting on the dock? Is it true they are regulated? Somebody said ensure you arrange your fare before climbing on into the cab.

It is silly that something as trivial as getting a taxi can be concerning but for 1st timers, as we are, it is. Would it be worth arranging another taxi firm in Brooklyn to pick us up and then ringing them just as we are about to leave the QM2?

Cheers,

Christine

Taxi's are waiting on the dock. We gave a fellow $10 to load his trolley with our luggage and he got us a yellow cab. It was a bit much, but so what.

All excellent advice. When I arrived at Brooklyn last May I got a trolley-fellow who took charge of my luggage, and steered me through customs in less time than it takes me to type this. He then took me to the first available yellow cab and I was on my way.

I am so glad that I remained on this site as the help and kindness I went on to receive following one blip (first cruise and my first time of asking for help and I got a bl**dy Horray Henry who insinuated the QM2 was not for me, and who I considered was downright rude, arrogant, and made remarks about my holiday/intended clothing, anything but answering the questions I had asked, as the very helpful NomDePlume knows) has been gratefully received.

I did not realise taking my first cruise would be so nervy! It's amazing how even the simplest of things suddenly seem difficult! Thanks for your time, I will grab somebody with a trolley and hopefully be through immigration and on my way to JFK quite quickly.

Very best wishes to you all,

Chris

Take a taxi but make sure that you have handy the directions to the port that you will receive from Cunard. Not all taxi drivers know how to get there.

Hi Bob, how you doin', guess you've been in mourning for the old boat's passing eh?

Gari

Hi bob, long time no see. Everything ok?

Thanks for asking. Had an operation three weeks ago (lap band surgery) and I am now finally back to normal (except for my eating habits). Have already lost 45 pounds. Only 70 more to go...

Cheers,

Christine

Hi Christine, forgive me for not replying sooner. I just saw your post. You may be already aboard by now. I think George W gave you good advice. There are yellow taxis at the port. The fare is metered and you can't negotiate anything. It should be about $40-45 to JFK plus tip. The flat fare does not apply since you are coming from Brooklyn. I have never tried grabbing one of the trolly guys sounds like a good idea. One word of warning. I have waited a long time for a taxi at the Brooklyn port the the two times I have taken the QM2-- no big deal to me but not what you need if you are trying to catch a flight. There are black town cars available at the dock but they are more expensive. I hope you have (are having) a great trip!!!

Ginger

Archived