Ocean in Jan?- Western Caribbean

bernieb86

Hello! Just wondering how the oceans are in early Jan- Western Caribbean?! Caymen, Cozumel and Ocho Rios. Will they be really rough? Is it too cool and Windy to be on the decks when at sea? :) I hope not! Temp in the 80's? Thank you for whatever you can provide. Excite me! :D

Hello! Just wondering how the oceans are in early Jan- Western Caribbean?! Caymen, Cozumel and Ocho Rios. Will they be really rough? Is it too cool and Windy to be on the decks when at sea? :) I hope not! Temp in the 80's? Thank you for whatever you can provide. Excite me! :D

It all depends on the weather! I've seen it both calm and rough. Windy and calm. sunny and rainy. I have never experienced it being cold, though. But, I'm from Illinois and anything over 50 in January is considered warm....................:D

On my first W. Carib sailing we had to call it short at port Costa Maya because the wave surge was pretty significant, and some folks got sick, but for the most part, I had sun during most days and a breeze in the evenings. If you are concerned about it, bring a sweater or windbreaker.

Subsequent cruises had rain and cooler weather, but honestly, it was bearable.

There is a chance that you could hit a cold front sweeping down across North America and on into the Gulf and northern Caribbean. I've had the experience a few times and if you are unlucky enough to hit one it could be rough and cooler than you would like. Then again, you stand a good chance of having decent weather.

Archived