Sailaway Champagne

Traveling Bob

How is the corkage fee paid? In cash when they stop you or is it added to your onboard account?

The corkage fee is put on your onboard charges. Make sure you keep the receipts, and make sure you get stickers on your bottles. We didn't, and it caused some confusion later.

Hmm, I think what I had was a fax form for 2007 for pre-purchase of wine/champagne. I don't know if you can purchase full bottles once you get on board anymore. You might have to go through the bar setup routine (keep in mind that its not just liquor but also wine). And you need to do that in advance.

We're carrying on our bubbly.

You can order wine in your bar setup, but you can also order a bottle while onboard at any time to drink at dinner, or keep in your cabin. Since they charge an extra $3 for bar setup, you may as well wait to get your bottles on board. Liquor is another story. You'll pay a hefty amount to get a bottle of liquor onboard. The bar setup price, although still very steep, is the way to go.

First the observation, when ordering our bar set up, I also inquired about getting a couple of bottles of bubbly, but they don't do that from the same office. I wound up getting the bar set up and just ordering the $79 anniversary package so I'll have at least one nice, cold bottle waiting for us.

Now the question, I have a favorite French sparkling rose that I have found available on line, but they can't ship it to Ohio, because we have some seriously uptight alcohol laws here. I don't know whether I can have it shipped to the port or to a wine seller near the port. Has anyone ever done something like this?

Thanks!

ee

First the observation, when ordering our bar set up, I also inquired about getting a couple of bottles of bubbly, but they don't do that from the same office. I wound up getting the bar set up and just ordering the $79 anniversary package so I'll have at least one nice, cold bottle waiting for us.

Now the question, I have a favorite French sparkling rose that I have found available on line, but they can't ship it to Ohio, because we have some seriously uptight alcohol laws here. I don't know whether I can have it shipped to the port or to a wine seller near the port. Has anyone ever done something like this?

Thanks!

ee

Your best bet is to find a good wine store near the port and email or call them as to availability of your specific brand. You could probably arrange everything ahead of time, then just stop on your way to port and pick it up. As for home, check with your local store as well. If they don't carry it as the norm, they will probably order for you if your order is large enough. There are some truly fabulous brut roses out there!

Robin

I've ordered a bottle of champagne for our cabin many times. I've just called NCL and ordered it with any customer service rep (or now through my PCC). No need to go through the bar set-up folks.

It's nice to be greeted by a chilling bottle of bubbly when you enter your cabin.

Also, by purchasing the champagne for your room before you board you aren't charge the 15% gratuity. On a $70 bottle you'd save the additional $10.50 they'd charge you on board.

I've ordered a bottle of champagne for our cabin many times. I've just called NCL and ordered it with any customer service rep (or now through my PCC). No need to go through the bar set-up folks.

It's nice to be greeted by a chilling bottle of bubbly when you enter your cabin.

Also, by purchasing the champagne for your room before you board you aren't charge the 15% gratuity. On a $70 bottle you'd save the additional $10.50 they'd charge you on board.

Good point, CC.. I forgot about the tip being added.

Thanks, Robin, I'll give that a try. We had a bottle of Marguet Pere et Fils Rose sparkling wine at Pops! in Chicago and I just fell in love with it. I was thrilled when I saw it available at around $40/bottle from K&L (since by the time we tipped, etc... at Pops! it had come a lot closer to $100!), but they can't ship it to me at home because of state regs.

ee

Thanks, Robin, I'll give that a try. We had a bottle of Marguet Pere et Fils Rose sparkling wine at Pops! in Chicago and I just fell in love with it. I was thrilled when I saw it available at around $40/bottle from K&L (since by the time we tipped, etc... at Pops! it had come a lot closer to $100!), but they can't ship it to me at home because of state regs.

ee

Try http://www.binnys.com. They have Marguet Pere et Fils Rose and will ship to Ohio. The state regs on buying wine out of state changed because of the upswing of wineries in Ohio.

Try http://www.binnys.com. They have Marguet Pere et Fils Rose and will ship to Ohio. The state regs on buying wine out of state changed because of the upswing of wineries in Ohio.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, George and Mary Beth! I'll head right to that site and get some headed our way in time for the holidays!

ee

We enjoy sailing on NCL, Princess, RCI, and Carnival. We usually have wine or champagne waiting for us when we board thanks to our TA. Between the NCL welcome aboard champagne, the captains welcome party and the lattitudes (prior guests) party, we don't need to bring any booze onboard. We could not believe the large glasses of wine we got at those parties on our NCL Pearl cruise. DH switched from beer to wine after he saw my wine glass. I don't care for champagne so I am glad NCL has other beverages to choose from at those parties. We were pleased we found some very reasonably priced cocktails under $5 in the Spinnaker Lounge for a late night beverage.

We just got off Jewel of the Seas and had a great cruise but can't wait to sail Gem in January because we love the choice of NCL restaurants. We enjoy going to a different venue each night of our cruise. We tend to use the specialty restaurants more on NCL because they range from $10 to $25pp. Our favorite specialty restaurant on any cruiseline is NCL's Asian restaurant. We love their steak terriyaki and tempura with hot'nsour soup.

Just waiting for the holidays to pass so we can really celebrate on Jan 14.

Archived