Car rental in Galveston?

If you fail to find something in Galveston itself, you could always arrange the rental at Houston Hobby airport. Take the cruise line (or private) transfer to the airport after the cruise. Last time I checked, the cruise line transfer was $35 per person. If your party is larger than 2, a private service might be cheaper. Hobby is about 45 minutes from the port.

Dec 14 being a Sunday, Galveston never had much choice of rental car agencies open on Sunday, even before Ike.

I can't speak to post-Ike availability, but we did a Hertz one-way last March from Galveston to HOU on a Sunday disembark. Made reservations in advance, then went to Terminal 1 upon return from the cruise and were shuttled to the the car lot. Really easy and the price was reasonable ($106 total for a 7-pass van). You might try calling them (either national or local office) to see what your options are.

Also check the Gulf Coast Departures link under the North American Homeports tab on the main board for suggestions or assistance.

You might want to check out the roll call for this Voyager TA on 11-29.

It's very active and there are several shuttles to both airports that the group has put together.

Someone had posted that they spoke with Hertz and the Hertz office in Galveston would like not be open until January.

Good luck and see you on board!

Wendy

We are down in the area adjusting losses. The area is getting back to normal as quickly as possible, but I would do everything through the cruise line until things are normal. You will still be seeing the rath of IKE when you cruise.

Not really sure why the media has stopped showing what was done in this area so quickly. Lots of people in tents camping because they don't have any place to return to.

How long has it been since you have seen any thing in the news about people without homes? The election stole the stage and has left lots of people without anything. Saying that the government is bailing out companies to keep the economy going. AIG had another party/training session with money that could have helped people without a home. Not everyone in the Ike area had insurance. Should we say shame on them and abandon them?? Did we abandon the people of Katrina?

Off my soap box..... just sad seeing people dealing with the loss of property and their loved ones that still aren't found.

Houstonians will be home with hangovers...

Only kidding Houstonians!!!!!!!!

Oh so funny!!!

Sunday the traffic is all backed up for construction...its either rush hour during the week or constructions delays on the weekends. SO glad my office is upstairs...

I do commute to the ranch, but I-10 complete going West out of downtown, and I hop on about half way out of the city it is smooth sailing until it squishes to 2 lanes.

But back to OP...yes post Ike it may be tough. If you have to go to Hobby to get a car, perhaps a quick hop on Southwest is just as easy to get home.

Enjoy the TA...only a couple weekends later and we get to take her out for a spin!!!:)

Houstonians will be home with hangovers...

Only kidding Houstonians!!!!!!!!

You sure you're kidding?? I lived there for just long enough to leave. There's more than a touch of truth to your joke. :D

Sam would be so unhappy...

Rancher Dave- Don't take me seriously!

We are down in the area adjusting losses. The area is getting back to normal as quickly as possible, but I would do everything through the cruise line until things are normal. You will still be seeing the rath of IKE when you cruise.

Not really sure why the media has stopped showing what was done in this area so quickly. Lots of people in tents camping because they don't have any place to return to.

How long has it been since you have seen any thing in the news about people without homes? The election stole the stage and has left lots of people without anything. Saying that the government is bailing out companies to keep the economy going. AIG had another party/training session with money that could have helped people without a home. Not everyone in the Ike area had insurance. Should we say shame on them and abandon them?? Did we abandon the people of Katrina?

Off my soap box..... just sad seeing people dealing with the loss of property and their loved ones that still aren't found.

Interesting you should mention lack of press coverage - this was on the Yahoo home page just now (11/14 3pm PST).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/ap_on_re_us/ike_housing_shortage

Archived