Galaxy 11/13/04: Brand new cruiser with questions

CajunLiner

My family have never taken a cruise before and we have started rather ambitiously. We have booked a twelve night Panama Canal cruise on Galaxy out of Galveston. We have booked Sky Suite # 1232. My wife and I are in our mid-thirties and we have two children, eight and nine, whom we home-school, so we are able to travel without concern for the school year. I suppose the four of us will just barely fit. Can anyone tell me if the space is adequate?

Does anyone have experience with elementary-age children on a cruise, especially with Celebrity? I really don't even know enough to ask the right questions.

Are my children too old for the kids' pool? Are the main pools kid-friendly?

What do children wear for dinner on formal, informal, and casual nights?

How likely is it that a young family will stick out like a sore thumb on this particular cruise?

I'll be posting other questions as they occur to me.

Thanks for any help y'all can offer.

Justin

There's alot for your children to be involved in especially on a cruise through the Panama Canal. Our daughter was a Youth Activities Coordinator for another cruiseline and the kids that cruised with her loved all their activities. Since they are home schooled there's so much they can learn about...ecology, marine life, language the construction of the Canal...

What I can't help you with is the size of the suite. We take our first cruise on Celebrity as you are getting off. You don't say whether the kids are boys are girls but the formal nights can just be dress like church clothes for them...at least that's what I saw on the other cruises I went on. I think they are the right age for the kids pool...And I love seeing kids on cruises...as long as they don't knock me down while I'm walking down the halls...I have enough trouble staying "upright" if there's a rocky day on the water.

Panama Canal on the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;11;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

You will love the size of the balcony for these cabins. It will be a bit tight in the cabin as there is a queen bed and a small sleeper couch, really more of a loveseat than full length couch. I'm not sure two kids could sleep on it. Also, when the couch is made into a bed, it blocks access to the balcony door.

If you only spend a little time in the cabin, it might be ok, otherwise it might be wise to look at a family cabin (FV).

There probably won't be many children onboard at that time as school is in session most places and the longer cruises have less children anyway. There will be plenty to keep them occupied.

Children are requested to dress similarly to what is requested for adults. That doesn't mean you need to rent a tux for a young boy (although many do... and they look so cute), a suit will do nicely and for young girls think "party dress" for formal nights. There is always casual alternative dining in the evening in the Lido area.

Sue

Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 25, 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation Transatlantic 9/7/04

Infinity Panama Canal 4/17/05

Thanks, lssteele and sueclark. May I ask what the general attitude among Celebrity passengers toward children is? I realize that this line is somewhat known for peace and quiet. That will suit my wife and me well. My children are relatively well mannered and used to dining in public, but quite active. (Nappers at poolside would be likely to find them a bit much.) Is this likely to be a problem? I have a nine year old boy and an eight year old girl. We plan on letting them use the children's progmam to their hearts content and, otherwise let them stay with us...wherever we are.

Question: are we likely to be best off requesting a table for four? I think I would be more comfortable doing so.

Justin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Cruise

I think your kids will be more comfortable at a table for 4. For my grandkids (12,10,5,2,and 4 months) they don't necessarily enjoy listening to all of us old people talking about our day. This would be a good time to review the day with them and talk about the next day.

I agree with SueClark that there probably won't be a lot of kids on the cruise...but that just gives them additional undivided attention from the counselors.

Panama Canal on the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;11;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

My kids really love hot tubs. Although I would not want to disturb other passengers looking for relaxation, I thought that, since we get complimentary access to the T-Pool they might enjoy it. I mean, IF they are not disturbing adults. Like when very few other passengers are there. Would they be allowed in and would their presence be annoying if other adults showed up?

Please remember that we have NEVER taken a cruise before, and our social circle is comprised mostly of large (6+ kid) families, so operating in a predominantly adult environment is something of a novelty to us.

Justin

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until Galaxy Panama Canal Cruise

We cruised Galaxy in 2000 when our two boys were 7 and 9. We were with a group of friends and several of them had kids along also. We were on a 10 day over school vacation week and there were about 150 kids on board which according to the counselors was not a big group for them. The kids program was excellent. We stayed in a Family aft cabin which was great for the extra storage although 6 months later we did a Thanksgiving cruise on Royal in a balcony cabin and were fine with that too. Just stay organized and you will be okay. You are not in the room all that much.

Your kids would be too old for the kiddie pool. The main pool is perfect for them. The T-pool does not allow kids I believe. There is a lot of activity going on around the main pool as well as a band playing most of the time. Don't worry one bit about your children disturbing other napping passengers. Children being children is fine as long as they are not running around into people, etc. I don't remember seeing too many napping passengers either. I believe they can use the hot tubs although I would check to be sure. There is an age limit I believe and while it may be okay many people get upset when kids monopolize them (although some adults do the same).

We found a mix of all ages on board. The staff and passengers were wonderful with the kids. All of the kids seemed to be very happy and well behaved. Your family will not stick out like a sore thumb at all. Regarding the formal nights boys will be dressed in anything from a tux, suit, sportcoat or nice pants with a dress shirt and tie. Informal same as that but no tuxes and maybe no ties on some. Girls have a lot more flexibility with cute dresses. I have rented tuxes for my boys and also have done suits. The money you spend on the suit they soon grow out of is almost the same as the tux rental. My husband owns a tux so the boys look so cute dressed up like Dad and it makes a great photo op.

For dinner possibly request a table with another family with children? This could work out well or if not you can always be moved. I don't think I would want to be with other adults that may be enjoying a kid free vacation while their own kids may be at home. Although from other postings many people don't mind.

Hope this helps. Although our cruise was a few years back I have been reading the boards frequently the past few months and all seems to be status quo still. We are leaving this month on another Celebrity cruise with our boys now 11 and 13. I will post a review when we return. Don't worry you have chosen a wonderful vacation!

BoysSkiMom

Homelines Atlantic 8/88

Norwegian Seaward 3/89

Celebrity Galaxy 4/00

RCI Enchantment 11/00

Celebrity Summit 4/04

We did a 14 night Panama Canal Cruise in December on the Infinity. There were approximately 15-20 children on board between the age of 5-12. I think they spent most of their time in the children's programs as they were not too visible except as a group with their activity staff. A couple of times I did see a young family with their 2 children in the hot tub next to the pool.

I don't recall if you said you had early seating for dinner, but that is what I'd suggest for you as late seating doesn't start until 8:30 and often doesn't end until 10-10:30 and that's too long and late for children.

We starting cruising with my two boys when they were 7 and 9 and went on lots of cruise vacations. They just loved it and your's will, too.

We have booked the Galaxy 12 night cruise for April 2005.

Until we set sail to Alaska on the Serenade of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;09;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

• 6 months later...

We were on the Galaxy in April, it's a great ship and Celebrity is a great line. We don't have kids but learned alot about the ship before and during our trip. Basically Celebrity is the best of the Premium category of cruise lines, which means the food and service are much better and the ship is exceptionally clean. It doesn't mean that the folks are snobs or that the line is not kid-friendly. That being said, your kids would definetly have a much better time on a Disney cruise, since they've become the de-facto cruise line for families with chldren.

There were kids on our cruise but not in abundance and they were all very well behaved. The T-pool at the spa doesn't allow children under 16 at all. The regular pools are filled with treated saltwater, and on our cruise were surprisingly not used much, even though the weather was great. The hot tubs occasionally had kids in them but nobody seemed to mind as they were well behaved. The sports deck and the game rooms are places that would occupy them well, and there is a small (but expensive) arcade nestled inbetween the shops. There is also a separate 'hangout' for kids just outside the nightclub that has a jukebox and some arcede games.

Hope this helps...

-ZIG

I don't think all children would necessarily have a much better time on a Disney cruise. I think parents should decide which cruiseline the parents like best. Our choice is Celebrity. My children have only cruised on Celebrity and love it. We are taking them on a 11 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Summit in March 05. Its at Easter time and there's likely to be more children. But it wouldn't matter if there weren't. We love to spend time with our children when on vacation and our children love to spend time with us. We enjoy introducing them to new things and new places. Our children are fairly well behaved and we've tried to teach them to respect other people around them in public places. We do request a table for four. I think that's most enjoyable for our children and for other couples traveling without children.

There's always plenty to do on the ship to keep children occupied. And much of the time is spent visiting ports. Our children, now 9 and 11, never even went to the children's program on our last cruise as they were cruising with their cousins and spent time with them. I'm hoping they'll go to the children's program this time as we'll have four days at sea and my husband and I want to enjoy the T-pool (no children under 16 allowed in T-pools). The children's program is great. And besides that our children love the regular pools, hot tubs, bingo, Notes (the music listening room), ping pong, shuffleboard, and getting a manicure at the spa. They also like the evening shows. I think that, to a certain extent, children enjoy what you teach them and expect them to enjoy. They don't all have to be entertained all the time, but can entertain themselves with what they're presented.

On formal nights, most young boys wear either tuxes or dark suits, or at least a white shirt and tie with dark dress pants and dark dress shoes. Most young girls wear fancy or sparkling party dresses. Many put their hair up. Older girls dress like its prom night.

Enjoy cruising with your children!

Archived