Rental cars from the airport to Galveston

Before the hurricane, they had Enterprise and Hertz in Galveston. I don't know if either are open again.

We're sailing in March and also waiting to hear about car rentals in Galveston. If anyone knows if the car rental locations are open, can you please post?

I just got through talking with both Hertz and Enterprise, Hertz does not allow 1 way rentals to Galveston. Enterprise does allow them picking up from Hobby there is no drop off fee, picking up from IAH there is an $80 drop off fee! But for us, the flight into IAH is direct, and $100 per person less, so I am still trying to figure out what we are going to do! Any suggestions as to other ground transportation options? I know that CCL offers a "bus" at $80 from IAH and $60 from Hobby, but I thought there should be some other options out there

Thanks!

Teresa

• 2 weeks later...

We are flying into HOU on Saturday, January 10, 2009, at 12:05 p.m., staying at the Hotel Galvez, and departing on the Voyager of the Seas on Sunday, January 11, 2009. We are getting off the Voyager OTS on Sunday, January 18, 2009, and flying out of HOU at 12:50 p.m. I just got off the phone with both Enterprise and Hertz. Here is what I was told:

Enterprise: The cruise terminal location is closed due to the hurricaine and is not scheduled to be reopened before my cruise. The Broadway location is only open on Saturdays until 12:00 p.m. and is closed on Sundays. They do not allow after-hours drop off in Galveston, so I could not drop off the car on Sunday, January 11th even if I was willing to pay through Monday, January 12th. They will not have the post-cruise rental available when our cruise ends on Sunday, January 18th.

Hertz: Both the cruise terminal location and the Broadway location are closed due to the hurricaine and are not scheduled to be reopened before my cruise. Even if they do reopen before my cruise, they are only open on Saturdays until 12:00 p.m. and are closed on Sundays. However, they do allow after-hours drop off in Galveston, so if they do reopen before my cruise, then I could drop the car off on Sunday January 11th and pay through Monday, January 12th. They will not have the post-cruise rental available when our cruise ends on Sunday, January 18th.

It's a good idea, but it won't work for us! It would cost us at least $250 to keep the car rented during the cruise and return it back to HOU. It will only cost us $160 to take the shuttle offered by Galveston Limousine. We'll just stick with the shuttle.

Thanks for doing all that research allisons

Ive been trying to figure out what would be most cost effective for my GF and I and over the past few months the prices have been fluctuating a lot! Right now I'm going to be spending about 200-250 on the car to be rented from IAH. When I was doing my planning I really wanted to do some one way rentals or use a shuttle service but the Hurricane and the lack of concrete information and dates really put me in a limbo. Youre research and info is very helpful and Im still checking the prices of rentals through Hertz and Enterprise.

I get the feeling that Galveston really isn't totally ready to accomodate the tourist industry 100%. Someone posted pics in another post and the images were very telling and demonstrated that A LOT of work still needs to be done.

There has always been a problem with the rental car agencys in Galveston not open on weekends long before the hurricane. The complaint needs to be with Hertz and Enterprise as the City has nothing to do with their operations. At one time Eneterprise did not charge a drop off charge, but initiated one commencing in April.

We have used a one way rental when flying into IAH as it was, at that time, less expensive than leaving our vehicle in long term car park. But with the drop off charge, we now take our car to Iah and have it when we return.

Just returned from The Strand where several shops are open and cleaning is progessing for Dickens weekend.

We expect beautiful weather and anice turn out to ring in the holiday season.

inotdown,

You're very welcome. Here is some more information for you. It is based on HOU, but I think the same general principles will apply to IAH. And it's specific to the Hotel Galvez, but I'm sure those prices would be the same for anywhere in Galveston.

Super Shuttle:

$120 for 2 people from HOU to Hotel Galvez

$100 for 2 people from cruise terminal to HOU

Galveston Limousine:

$45/adult one way

$80/adult round trip

2 suitcases & 1 carry on/adult

$20/extra bag, each way

So what are you doing for transportation? We are in the same situation and there are four of us from Michigan flying into IAH on Saturday 1-24-09 and cruising on Voyager leaving 1-25-09. We thought it was ridiculous for the four of us to pay RCCL $360 for transfers round trip. So far the best deal I have found is through my limo guy at IAH---$250 roundtrip in a Dnali SUV. I called Galveston Limo and they wanted $100 per person round trip---even more than RCCL. This is highway robbery when gas is now under $1,50 a gallon. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Kerry

• 1 month later...

I seem to be in the same situation. I think I am considering just using a limo service for transfers. I really wanted a car but it is not worth the $$$. It's only my DH and I. Does anyone know a Hotel near a place to buy wine? Don't want to carry mine from NJ.

Archived