coats for men formal night?

tciscruisinnow

My boyfriend has a tie phobia, but he will wear a black suit.

Is this appropiate? Or should we skip the formal nights?

He just needs a dress shirt and dress pants.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so.

Steve:D

Hey steveaaaaaaa.... Like I said, I do what I feel is appropriate! :p

If you would like to dine in a really 'formal' atmosphere in your underwear and sandals, that is up to you.. Go for it!:eek:

I truthfully hope you are not at my table... ;):cool:

Again, this is MY opinion.. That IS what these board are for...:) It doesn't make me 'wrong'...

Cloth napkins and a cloth table cloth is proper?:confused:

Now what is proper for dancing waiters on tables?

Whooping and yelling for color wars while eating?

A conga line while eating?

Anouncements over the PA?

Happy birthday singing?

Non enforcement of the dress code?

Steve

Hummmmm, some of the most formal restaurants in San Francisco have Fun (or dumb) dinner shows with dancing waiters & conga lines, Oh but the dress code is enforced!

Stop worrying about what you want everyone else to wear and let people interpret the dress code the way they want to!

(This is a general statement & not ment for an individual);)

I swore I wasn't going to post on this thread, but I support 'Cotton' concerning the new/revised dress code....:)

Formal or 'Cruise Elegant', mean to me "AT LEAST" a sport coat and nice slacks... probably a tie, or nice shirt, but that would be optional...:p Me, I dress for the occasion, and even tho' I'm 63, I dress like my 'Mother raised me'...:rolleyes: If there are cloth napkins and a cloth tablecloth and a full place setting... it just seems proper.. !!!:D:cool: IMHO....

So that's really just your personal dress code...not Carnivals?

What's proper to you is really just your opinion.

BTW if you really, really love dress codes try Celebrity, they have a whole bunch.

The over 65 crowd just loves it.

Just because the phrasing is different (from formal to 'elegant night') doesn't mean that folks should dress down as on casual nights. Not a lot of difference in formal and elegant. Those who know will still dress appropriately for the nicest evening of the cruise.:)

Yep and those that dress inappropriately, will even try & wear jeans and tanktops, because they paid for the cruise and can do whatever they want, & most likely won't be told to leave the dining room

Yep and those that dress inappropriately, will even try & wear jeans and tanktops, because they paid for the cruise and can do whatever they want, & most likely won't be told to leave the dining room

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So that's really just your personal dress code...not Carnivals?

What's proper to you is really just your opinion.

ABSOLUTELY! I stated that...:)

BTW if you really, really love dress codes try Celebrity, they have a whole bunch.
I totally understand that, as well, but I enjoy the atmosphere on Carnival.. :p

Again, IMHO, shorts, jeans, tank tops and flip-flops should not be seen in the dining room anytime... 'Cruise Elegant' means a sport coat (at least)... IMHO! You've seen that 'quote', right...:confused:

You don't have to agree with me, but please, I am allowed to voice my opinion, whether you agree or not!:p

Again, IMHO, shorts, jeans, tank tops and flip-flops should not be seen in the dining room anytime... 'Cruise Elegant' means a sport coat (at least)... IMHO! You've seen that 'quote', right...:confused:

You don't have to agree with me, but please, I am allowed to voice my opinion, whether you agree or not!:p

You keep saying "Cruise Elegant" means a sport coat,but you keep saying its your opinion.So what is the purpose of even replying to this thread.The OP was not asking for a total wrong interpretation of a written dress code based solely on your opinion.The OPs key word was "need".Are you trying to get your post count up?

If the dining room does not have Steak sauce,do you go out and flog yourself because you think they should. You impose a condition upon yourself based upon a thought in your head that may be wrong but you think it is not.

You won't go to Elegant night because you are not bringing a sport coat,yet a sport coat is not required.:rolleyes:

Airline restrictions with luggage is making folks think twice about formal/elegant night. If I didn't have to bring my dresses & DH his suit, we could leave the garment bag at home and save the cost of the 2nd baggage. With limited luggage, it makes self debarkation a breeze. It's becoming all about convenience to the pax.

Well I'm shocked things like that are happening.

When should we alert the media?

People having fun and dressing casual in the dining room...Well!, I never.

Fair enough except one thing.

The op was looking for what the guidelines were, not YHO of the guidelines.

Fair enough?

I wore a sport jacket and tie on our last cruise (on the Freedom). My jacket was off within minutes after sitting down. What a waste and the jacket takes an awful lot of luggage space especially since the airlines are charging for baggage.

On our next cruise I'm saving the luggage space and only a tie will do.

Part of the 'atmosphere' that you so enjoy on Carnival includes all the different ways that people choose to dress; including in the dining room.. :rolleyes:

Fair enough except one thing.

The op was looking for what the guidelines were, not YHO of the guidelines.

Fair enough?

Okay, but the OP got the answer to their original question, i.e., the official Carnival guidelines.. And since this is a discussion board, people's opinions about cruising issues (including dining room attire) are entirely appropriate and encouraged.. :)

You say that, but when you quote an individual (like I just did) you kind of narrow it down, ya know.. ;)

Ya learn very earily on, on this board to just try and make general statements, if you don't everyone thinks your talking about them!

So I'm sticking to my story......I only directly quoted the poster in the top 1/2 of my post;)

Okay, but the OP got the answer to their original question, i.e., the official Carnival guidelines.. And since this is a discussion board, people's opinions about cruising issues (including dining room attire) are entirely appropriate and encouraged.. :)

And that is why so much misleading and out right wrong info is passed as fact, I'm sorry, discussion all over the Cruise Critic boards.

I've learn to assume just about everything out here is an opinion and to verify anything I read here.

You are correct, this is a discussion board and as such you can post most anything you want, right or wrong.

I just hope the new folks out here understand that.

Sometimes facts just get in the way of a good discussion.:D

I agree..! Basically, the 2nd poster should have just answered "NO, not needed", and the post should have 'faded into the sunset', if all that we want to hear on the forum is the 'guidelines'!:rolleyes:

However, this is a discussion board, and opinions are solicited.. Sorry that some do not agree with 'my opinion', but "I'm stickin' to it"! :D

I've learn to assume just about everything out here is an opinion and to verify anything I read here.

How about next time a newbie asked about what to wear in the dining room on Elegant night, we just refer them to the picture thread that is going on around the board somewhere, so they can see for themselves what people are wearing and they don't have to rely on other peoples personal opinion, they can actually see for themselves and then decide what they want to wear.

Gosh, that might stop a few long heated arguments around here:)

How about next time a newbie asked about what to wear in the dining room on Elegant night, we just refer them to the picture thread that is going on around the board somewhere, so they can see for themselves what people are wearing and they don't have to rely on other peoples personal opinion, they can actually see for themselves and then decide what they want to wear.

Gosh, that might stop a few long heated arguments around here:)

Why not just tell them the truth! If you want to wear jeans you can. A few have succeeded with tanktops and shorts. Does it really matter? I've seen men and women that look better in jeans than some look in formal dresses and tuxes.

As long as cruise lines loosely (if at all) enforce their rules just about anything goes. Some people can't live with that.

Why not just tell them the truth! .

I guess you just don't understand that Pictures tell the truth more than everyones "personal opinion" the variety of clothing options will be right there for them to actually see! Oh, unless it's just your truth you want them to hear!

And show me where on this thread i said you can't wear what you want??

As a matter of fact, i have not mentioned anything at all about what is appropriate to wear for other people:p

Archived