Question about Mercury 10/22/08 sailing to Hawaii...

Lota

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this, so apologies in advance if it's not.

My husband and I were on the Mercury to Hawaii for our honeymoon. As some of you may already know, the ship had to return to Hawaii for a medical emergency.

My question is, does anyone have any more information about what actually happened? There was so much gossip and hearsay around the ship and most of that was contradictory.

Just curious.

Thanks! :)

I am curious too....can anyone provide info?

According to my neighbors who were on that sailing, they saw the passengers "with a life-threatening medical condition", walk into a waiting ambulance.

It must have been quite serious though for the ship to return to port thus putting her 24hrs behind schedule and causing major disruptions & expenses for both X and passengers.

I was one of the "lucky" cruisers that got an extra day at sea, what I was told by an officer during the "rebooking flight" process was that one of the people had renal kidney failure and the other person had possibly bleeding into the lungs. If that is the case then those are pretty serious conditions and I am glad the captain turned the boat around even though I incurred additional costs with booking my return home to Florida.

I agree. I'm glad that they made the decision to put the health of those two passengers ahead of time schedules and such. However, having said that, I don't think the situation was handled as well as it could have been. Initially, we thought there was an outbreak of something with the way the staff was cleaning like crazy!:confused:

We were on also and we were told renal failure was the more serious of the two.

We spoke to the Captain on the last night and he said both were improving.

It was a great trip for us - we enjoyed the extra day. We're sorry it came at the suffering of others. The Captain and crew did an admirable job with all of the challenges. (we had a noro scare as well)

People were loaded into the ambulances on gernies. The people that walk were most likely spouses. I'd like to think if it were me DW wouldn't continue the cruise without me! ( I may be kidding myself ;))

We can't wait to do the same thing next March!

I won't lie and say that the situation wasn't an inconvenience, but we did enjoy the vast majority of the cruise and Hawai'i was awesome!

I hope you have another wonderful trip CRUZBUDS. :D

Archived