Question for delayed vaxers,,,cuppycakemom and sas80

gagirl2006

Why is it always the chiropracter who is the first to spot these alarming new medical trends?:rolleyes:

It just doesn't get more scientific then this.

why is it that you always seem sarcastic in your replies?

I realize that this topic makes people uneasy, but there is no reason to be rude...

As a public health nurse I vaccinate my daughter right on schedule. The way I feel is if everyone starts picking and choosing which vaccines they want, someday all the diseases are going to come back. A lot of people do not see the diseases anymore BECAUSE children are vaccinated. Therefore, if no one gets vaccinated, no one is protected. It's every parents decision and I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. As of right now there are no studies confirming autism with MMR. A lot of the ports have many sick people, I will vaccinate.

Wow. Always such a hot topic.

OP..I didn't see this until now. I wanted to answer your original question.

Yes, we are delayed vaxers. For the most part, we simply split the vaxes into more visits, so we weren't putting everything into our girls at once. However, we have delayed the MMR (older DD had first at 3.5 years and a booster for school...younger DD will have only ONE at 4 years, now that I know more than I did). We have chosen to NOT get the varicella booster, and we do not do flu shots (except for DH because he has asthma).

Having said all of that....I really LOVE Dr. Sears's vax book. There is so much information in there to learn. I also like his delayed schedule....especially taking into consideration aluminum and the little bit that we really know about its effects on children.

I think these decisions are best made well informed. We do our best as parents to learn what we can and consider all information. If I had an infant and wanted to cruise, I would look into where I would be visiting and discuss those concerns with my Ped (who would ideally be okay with delayed vaxing!). My ped was wonderful and helped me by telling me which vaxes he thought were important to get earlier and why.

I'm not sure that I would cruise with a six month old who was delaying vaxes, though, I have to be honest. I would probably have waited until a year with the way the we did things.

All kids are different. You just have to go with what you feel is best, and stay open to changing your plans if things aren't going as you expect.

Best of luck!

If your child has autism, I have no idea why you would feel better if you knew the cause. The reality is your child would still be autistic. Sometimes the reasons don't really matter and sometimes you just will never be able to answer, "why"?

At the very least, discovering the "why" gives us insight into the problem and it may give us a better understanding of treatment, prevention, and possibly a cure. As a researcher myself, I would say that it is better to discover the underlying cause instead of simply burying our heads in the sand.

Oh! I forgot to mention that whopping cough has found its way into my daughter's school as well. There have been 5 confirmed cases in the last 6 weeks. I'm fairly sure that my neighbor's daughter has it as well (I've never seen anything like the cough that this poor child is dealing with...she litterally can't catch her breath and almost vomits!). Her ped isn't testing her for it because he says that there is nothing that can be done....GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....it is due to things like this that people learn you can't always trust your ped. At the very least, he should want to determine if it IS pertusis so that it can be reported to the CDC....not to mention the antibiotics that might help her be not quite so contagious.

To Cuppycakemom:

You already realize this, but your neighbor should consider a second opinion! While certainly not a cure-all, antibiotics should usually be given for whooping cough if the symptoms have been present 21 days or less and are often given to close family members as well. Many doctors also give family members "boosters" of the vaccine in this situation. I don't have all of the facts, but I'd agree that her situation should have been handled differently.

To the OP: we are also delayed vaxers (not non-vaxers) -- when traveling out of the country we research health threats and discuss them with our ped and make vacination decisions based on that.

I also like Sear's vac book.

We have personal reasons for our decisions to delay.

I wish everyone's children healthy and happy lives. We all do what we believe is best for our own situations.

• 2 weeks later...

I would never expose an unvaccinated child to large groups of people...traveling so to speak...ship, airlines etc. I shudder to think of what could happen. I have a good friend our daughters are the same age 16 and her husband is a chiropracter. Her child has never received any form of vaccination. Also the kid has never had an antibiotic..even when she was very sick with infection..ears, strep throat etc. She says that her kid is protected because all of ours are! It scares me to think that her child could bring something into the school and give it to other kids...The vaccinations do not always work, but they are better than none at all! I do agree with spacing out the shots...My kids would be ill for a couple of days after multiple shots. I do think the autism link is something to do with the mercury in older vaccinations as well. We do need to find the link Autism is so prevelant..jmho...LPT

Archived