help: binoculars 10x or 8x?

bmcc

Just wondering if you got them yet, and how they compare. I'm afraid the ZENs are out of my price range. I've been weighing the Zen-Ray Summits or Vistas. Then in a different forum today, someone recommended the lightweight Cabela 12X30's. I had been looking at Nikon 8x40 Action Extreme ATB's before I came across these brands I'd never heard of before. I don't know how one makes a good choice when several of these brands aren't sold in retail stores where you can go to try and compare them! Any input welcome.

-- Eric

Eric, I have it for almost a week. ordered on the previous Saturday and received last Monday, pretty darn good for the fast shipping. To simply say I am impressed really does not do enough justice for this pair. I enjoy the 420 ft field of view, about 100 ft wider than 10x summit and almost 90 feet over E2 8x42. I like 8x power, but E2 is too narrow for me. So this 8x ZEN fills in nicely. I believe the image is crisper than either summit or E2. It is easy to tell when do the a/b compare. I used them in the evening, ZEN really stands out for its brightness. I also like the open frame style. It is a fullsize binoculars, but feels lighter in my hand. If you use binoculars regularly, like me for hunting and birding, I would highly recommend this pair. However, I think the summit is a better value for half of the cost of a ZEN, which is sufficient for any occasional use.

I am never a fan for high power binoculars, like 12x, too much vibration for me. Stays with 8x or 10x. For whale watching, an 8x is better to see the whole action with its wider angle.

So if there are two of us going on the trip, is it better to get two pairs of binoculars? or spend the money on a pair that cost twice as much?

Maybe we should get one 8x42 and one 10x42?

It really depends. If the quality is most important to you, then get a high quality one first. DW and I always want to have our own pairs so there is no need to readjust the diopter setting if we share only one. Regardless, even sharing one pair within the group is still far better than having to borrow from strangers, or completely missing the sighting.

Eric, I have it for almost a week. ordered on the previous Saturday and received last Monday, pretty darn good for the fast shipping. To simply say I am impressed really does not do enough justice for this pair. I enjoy the 420 ft field of view, about 100 ft wider than 10x summit and almost 90 feet over E2 8x42. I like 8x power, but E2 is too narrow for me. So this 8x ZEN fills in nicely. I believe the image is crisper than either summit or E2. It is easy to tell when do the a/b compare. I used them in the evening, ZEN really stands out for its brightness. I also like the open frame style. It is a fullsize binoculars, but feels lighter in my hand. If you use binoculars regularly, like me for hunting and birding, I would highly recommend this pair. However, I think the summit is a better value for half of the cost of a ZEN, which is sufficient for any occasional use.

I am never a fan for high power binoculars, like 12x, too much vibration for me. Stays with 8x or 10x. For whale watching, an 8x is better to see the whole action with its wider angle.

I think I need (maybe want, more accurately) a pair of this. Heard a lot of good thing about it. Maybe one day I will.

It was discussed before..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=656182

There are few more great threads in the past that get us educated on binoculars selection

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=700476

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=659210

We took Budget Queen's advice and got 10x power. We love the 10x zen-ray summit. They are way better than my DH's more expensive Steiner binoculars.

we used 10x and didn't have any problem.

So if there are two of us going on the trip, is it better to get two pairs of binoculars? or spend the money on a pair that cost twice as much?

Maybe we should get one 8x42 and one 10x42?

Yes, just a pair of 10x42 SUMMIT and a pair 8x42 VISTA. You will be all set. I thought the summit are good enough (actually, they are excellent). So I don't know how much better it can get for doubling the price on ZEN.

Yes, just a pair of 10x42 SUMMIT and a pair 8x42 VISTA. You will be all set. I thought the summit are good enough (actually, they are excellent). So I don't know how much better it can get for doubling the price on ZEN.

i am curious why you choose summit for 10x42 and vista for 8x42? is 10x42 vista a bad choice?

i am curious why you choose summit for 10x42 and vista for 8x42? is 10x42 vista a bad choice?

we initially bought 10x42 VISTA first. But DH claimed he can see better with 8x42 VISTA. I don't see any difference myself. :confused: Hence, the 10x42 went under Christmas tree as a present. He also bought an expensive pair of steiner compact for backpacking and rarely use it.

I might be a minority here. I prefer 8x42 better. I don't think 10x is worse. They are just different. I like the view with a wider angle from 8x.

7X & 8X tend to be a maritime standard as you are not a impacted by motion. Mine are 7X50's but I use mine on regular basis on and around the water.

I think you should purchase binoculars that work for you as not many people spend a huge amount of time on the water or for that matter use their binoculars that often.

I might be a minority here. I prefer 8x42 better. I don't think 10x is worse. They are just different. I like the view with a wider angle from 8x.

As Putterdude sz, it's definitely a personal choice. The following from a binocular blog put it in perspective for me:

"Magnification in a binocular is a relative thing. Most binoculars sold these days are 8x, followed closely by 10x with all the other magnifications lumped, together, following at a distant third. Is there really that much difference between an 8x and a 10x in terms of how much detail you can see? Think about this. In astronomy, when using a telescope, we use a rule of thumb called the magnification double. When you want to see significantly more detail than whatever magnification you are using, you double the magnification. For instance, from 25x to at least 50x and from 50x to 100x and so on. Anything less is considered not significant. A difference of only 2x in astronomy is considered to be undetectable, but so many people lose sleep over 2x in a binocular. I own both 8x and 10x binoculars and, at one time or other, just about very magnification you can get in a handheld binocular. Magnification is as much a personal choice as it is a performance choice in a binocular, as long as you can hold the binocular steady and for most people that means no more than 10x."

I use 8x these days for birding in the wooded area. 7x-8x should work fairly well for viewing from the ship. 10x will be better suited if you have a stable hand or platform. While going into Denali park, I found myself using 10x more than anything else. It is just a matter of personal choice and circumstance, no one binoculars can fit in all situation.

7X & 8X tend to be a maritime standard as you are not a impacted by motion. Mine are 7X50's but I use mine on regular basis on and around the water.

I think you should purchase binoculars that work for you as not many people spend a huge amount of time on the water or for that matter use their binoculars that often.

completely agree. It is good to know that I am not an outlier.:)

• 2 months later...
I had summit and vista for my cruise last year. It is my first real decent binoculars. I believe the VISTA is also waterproof. At least it is according to their website. http://www.zen-ray.com/comparison.shtml

There are some extensive discussion on zen-ray binoculars, mainly on their high end binoculars at birdforum. It seems everyone is happy with their $400 binoculars too.

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Hi there - I am looking at purchasing the Summit 8x42 or Vista 8x42. Since you have both the Summit and Vista, what is the difference between the two? Is the extra money for the Summit worth it? Thanks for your help!!

If on a bouncing boat, 10x will not be as useful 8x, unless you spend a zillion dollars and get a pair with image stabilization.

just another reason to choose 8x over 10x. But many people have successfully used 10x or higher power on a boat.

• 2 weeks later...
any recommendation for image stabilized binoculars?

I've tried the low end Canon IS 10x binocs. I found the optics softer and contrast lower than my Pentax binocs. Found it better to use my sharper 8x binocs. Canon IS ED binocs might be a whole different animal. I'm curious to try to the new Nikon IS binocs. But just to try, since I don't $2k handy. :)

What is the necessity of "waterproof' binoculars in Alaska when we are looking at land and glaciers?

Depends on how much you use them. Some folks have their binocs in hand all the time ... a good idea in Alaska. And it rains a lot. However, if using the binocs is not that critical to you, you can probably just pull them out when sheltered. The excursions I was on all had covered areas, though that probably wasn't the best/easiest viewing.

One other concern is internal fogging, if you move from cold to warm. Not a probably with waterproof binocs. Waterproof isn't usually that much more expensive.

What is the necessity of "waterproof' binoculars in Alaska when we are looking at land and glaciers?

The waterproof feature is always nice but for the way you are likely going to use them, it really is not necessary.

• 3 months later...
It rained 3 days of 7 during our cruise. I found it was essential to have waterproof feature.

It rained at two ports during our cruise. We got a rain coat for $5 at the dock and the binoculars have been soaked with rain without any issue. To me, it seems necessary to have waterproof feature

Archived