St. Martin Mountain Bike Adventure

We haven't done this, but I found it quite interesting to research.

I found a first-person review of what I believe is the tour being offered by several of the cruise lines at OutdoorTravels.com. It's by Mountain Bike Adventures, apparently in conjunction with The Saint-Martin Eco-tourism Association.

The above review offers a link to an island map, but you might also want to take a look at the one here.

Apparently the ride takes off to the NorthEast from Marigot, along the coast. I believe a good portion of this route is industrial. At some point the ride takes a turn to the SouthEast, and hooks up with the road up into Columbier. I remember this stretch of road as quite shaded, so would recommend bugspray before the ride.

There's then a description of the ride from Columbier to the water and Friar's, which would be the road to the NorthWest out of Columbier.

I have to say that the short stretch of road, perhaps not even a quarter mile, between the road that comes out of Marigot and appears to form a 'T' with Columbier to the right, and where that road turns to the North, away from Columbier, may be the most dangerous stretch of paved road on the island.

There are cars and trucks, vehicles of all sorts, roaring through that stretch after steep downhill runs from both directions.

That said, I'm sure that the ride offers some beautiful views, and Friar's is a great stop. You can also say (as in the review) that you've Mountain Biked in the Caribbean.

For my part, I'll be on Orient with a cold Carib in my hand -- I'll buy you one if you happen to be there at the same time.

Gary

thank you so much for all of the information, we do like our exersise but then when the other option is being on Orient with a cold Carib in my hand, hey there is always plenty of other times to get our exersie, we will take the stairs back to our room, ha, ha. And we can already say we have Mountain Biked in the Caribbean (Water Island, Cancun, San Juan). Thanks again!!

Archived