Mobile area residents - a question for you

xntric1

We cruise out of Mobile on Saturday. We may get into Mobile LATE Friday night or we may drive part way. There is a lot still up in the air: a sick in-law and and some work issues for me. We live about 3 hours past Atlanta.

If you were coming in from that direction (I-65) and decided you wanted to stop short (say an hour to 2 hours out) of Mobile, what town would you choose for a decent hotel at a cruise travelers price? (That means, what I spend on the hotel will not be spent on the cruise!)

Never having looked for lodging that close to home, I'm just guessing here. I would think that Montgomery would be your best bet for a choice in hotels. I know there are a few hotels available just off I-65 between Montgomery and Mobile, but I'm thinking they are the typical low end chains. There are some choices around the Greenville exit, the Evergreen exit (about 1-1/2 hr from Mobile) and around the Atmore exit (about 1 hour from Mobile). Just do a search on each city name + hotel for details. Someone else may have more info.

I live in Montgomery and there are a total of over 1,000 rooms at every price range at exit 6 on I-85. At that point you are three hours from Mobile. There's everything from a Motel6 on up.

Check trip advisor for the ratings.

I think the nicest would be the Drury Inn at around $100. They give you snacks and drinks at night and a hot breakfast in the morning.

They have an indoor \ outdoor pool as well. I presume the pool is heated as it is cold here now.

Advise if you want any other info.

Larry

XNTRIC1.

I would suggest I-85 rather than I-65, if you stay in Montgomery. Maybe Miata will agree. Newer, cleaner perhaps. Greenville is a little further south on I-65. Not sure I wouldstay at Atmore. Lots of new hotels in the Mobile area. Some of the newest in Spanish Fort across the I-10 Bayway just a few miles from the port and easy commute.

Thanks everyone!

I am noting your suggestions. DH graduated from USA so he is fairly familar with Mobile (the Mobile of the late 80's). (We actually did a few days in Mobile last year. Ate at a small Italian rest. that I would love to find again.)

How far we get depends on what time I get out of work on Friday and if we hit Atlanta during rush hours.

I appreciate your responses. Thanks again.

I'd definately go with I-85 at the exits I mentioned. I used to go down I-65 twice a month and there wasn't much in Greenville or Evergreen. If you are driving down Friday night you'd arrive in Montgomery around 10:00 PM which would be enough driving for one day (assumes you left home at 5:00 PM and had NO trouble with Atlanta (Unlikely)).

Again Trip advisor is what you should check.

If you get as far as the Spanish Fort area, you might as well come on to Mobile. It would just be another 30 minutes. We have many choices at all luxury levels. In order to have much of a choice before you get to Mobile, Montgomery is your best bet for a stop along the way.

Archived