Hijack

Rum Rat

Walt:

I think it's quite good fun to see threads go off topic and see where they go. Isn't that how conversation in the real world works?

So long as folks remain respectful to each other I don't see an issue.

Yes, especially this one...

Just to be sure, the issue about our concerns regarding off topic posts is that, if a thread's subject is the desert menu in the dining room, a post that raises a question about disembarkation procedures is not only off topic but disruptive.

But a discussion about desert that moves to a discussion about service in the dining room in general is the result of a normal course of any conversation.

The point is that someone who finds a thread about desert should be able to expect that the thread discusses just that and not something entirely different.

Unlike a conversation among 6 or 8 people at dinner on a cruise ship, however, the Cruise critic message board is open to many people and the rules (or lack thereof) of polite conversation do not apply to the Boards.

That's really why we try to keep all threads on the topic as described in the thread title and in the initiating post and why we want the discussion to stay on topic so that our Members aren't frustrated by a directionless conversation.

Have you seen the news today. A cruise ship has been fired upon by pirates in the arden straights. no one hurt but you did say it here first. Well done, perhaps you need to change your call sign to the french policeman in ze pink panzer, inspector cluesoe (i dont spell well in french):D.

What news item was this on can't say I have anything at all.

What news item was this on can't say I have anything at all.

on Sky News web Site.

A luxury cruise ship carrying scores of British passengers has come under attack from Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden.

Two pirate boats opened fire on the six-star Nautica as she sailed between Somalia and Yemen on Sunday.

The cruise ship, which carries 690 passengers and 386 crew, was sailing past several groups of fishing boats when two small skiffs tried to intercept it.

Captain Jurica Brajcic began evasive manoeuvres when the pirates were about 1,000 yards away from the ship and managed to avert the attack.

While cargo ships and small pleasure boats have been attacked by Somalian pirates, this is only the second time they have attempted to hijack a cruise ship.

Three years ago, rocket-propelled grenades were fired at the Seabourn Spirit. Two of the ship's officers were injured when it exploded.

A spokesman for Oceania Cruises said: "Nautica was immediately brought to flank speed and was able to outrun the two skiffs.

"One of the skiffs did manage to close the range to approximately 300 yards and fired eight rifle shots in the direction of the vessel before trailing off."

All this is a little worrying, does anyone know if the crew carry any weapons onboard?

I am thinking of our last cruise and I am sure the secuirty were ex Gurkers, it would take a large number of pirates to over come the security as well as 100's of passengers. That why on 9/11 the terrorists picked flights with low loads and in 1 case they were over powered.

It more worrying being hit by an RPG than actually being hijacked I would say.

But still I agree its not imposible.

Chris

Why are people so afraid of the truth? Burying your head in the sand will not make the problem go away.

Can someone catagoricaly state that a cruise ship the size of any of the P&O Fleet will NOT be attacked by pirates? Can they please confirm that the World Cruises sailing in January will NOT be attacked?

Of course you can't

I sincerely hope I never have to say "I told you so", but ......... the truth will prevail

tick tock

Ofcourse nobody can guarantee a ship won't get attacked. Same way you can't guarantee a plane won't get hijacked or won't crash, or your car won't be involved in a fatal crash to and from the airport. Its not burying your head, but its something you don't want to hear just before you go on holiday. There are risks to everything its about evaluteing them and getting on with your life.

Why are people so afraid of the truth? Burying your head in the sand will not make the problem go away.

Can someone catagoricaly state that a cruise ship the size of any of the P&O Fleet will NOT be attacked by pirates? Can they please confirm that the World Cruises sailing in January will NOT be attacked?

Of course you can't

I sincerely hope I never have to say "I told you so", but ......... the truth will prevail

tick tock

why the disguise rum rat?

Rum Rat had the plug pulled for speaking the truth.

:-))

No doubt this one will be pulled as well :-))

Been banned from another cruising forum for asking for the truth. Why are people afraid of the truth? (I can understand in the case of where I was banned. Who would want to admit to 'fingers in the till')

However, the truth ALWAYS prevails

Kindest regards

Mike

Rum Rat had the plug pulled for speaking the truth.

:-))

No doubt this one will be pulled as well :-))

Been banned from another cruising forum for asking for the truth. Why are people afraid of the truth? (I can understand in the case of where I was banned. Who would want to admit to 'fingers in the till')

However, the truth ALWAYS prevails

Kindest regards

Mike

We remove posts when they contravene our Community Guidelines.

The subject of piracy and its impact on leisure cruise travel is a current and appropriate one and will never result in any action by us administrators.

We frown on posts that are designed to create concern by using unsupported or unnecessarily alarmist language.

But Mike's posts are simply broad predictions without any effort to support the predictions with any facts or hyperbole so the intelligent reader is well able to consider the comment in full context.

"" Mike, you are not going to give up are you?""

Does that mean that you feel that the truth can be ignored?

'tick tock tick tock' means that at some time or other, the Pirate WILL go for a cruise ship. Are you saying that they won't? Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reassure me that Arcadia will NOT be challenged next month in the Gulf of Aden, or that Mumbai will be OK when we visit? Or that the troubles in Bangkok will be over when we get there?

I would rather live in the real world and accept that things CAN go wrong. I will leave the rose coloured specs for you.

What is this reference to Crowsnest? PLease post where I have made reference to crowsnest

Kindest possible regards

We remove posts when they contravene our Community Guidelines.

The subject of piracy and its impact on leisure cruise travel is a current and appropriate one and will never result in any action by us administrators.

We frown on posts that are designed to create concern by using unsupported or unnecessarily alarmist language.

But Mike's posts are simply broad predictions without any effort to support the predictions with any facts or hyperbole so the intelligent reader is well able to consider the comment in full context.

To my mind he is using unnecessairly and alarmist language [ see below]

And why does he keep banging on about truth and rose coloured specs, everybody agrees its a remote possiblity but no more than that.

To my mind he is using unnecessairly and alarmist language [ see below]

And why does he keep banging on about truth and rose coloured specs, everybody agrees its a remote possiblity but no more than that.

Didn't you just answer your own question when you say, "everybody agrees its a remote possiblity but no more than that?"

• 1 month later...

Archived