Can I be a pain? - too long signatures

eventfarm

Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?

• Yes, it makes reading the thread easier.
    • Yes, I have sigs turned off because of this and I'd like to turn them back on
    • No, to each his own.
    • I don't care - I have sigs turned off and don't plan on turning them back on.

The banners for the group cruises are cute, but they can be made smaller. I know this because I've made many over the years. The logos/banners can be made more compact. They'd still be read, and they wouldn't clog up pages.

By the way, I love looking at past cruises in signatures..and I chuckle at the sayings attached. (Just make them smaller)

I'll take off my clock when I get back. :)

Don't know if you're aware of this, but you can go to user CP and change the order in which a thread is posted . . . in other words, the most recent posts are right on the top, instead of the other way around. Then you only need to scroll down to the last post you read instead of scrolling through the entire thread. :)

Hope this helps you keep your job. :rolleyes:

You can also click on the little "check mark" in the upper left of the thread title and it will take you to the first new post since you last logged on. :)

You can also click on the little "check mark" in the upper left of the thread title and it will take you to the first new post since you last logged on. :)

Thank you, momo . . . I didn't know that ! ! :eek:

Its amazing . . . . everyday I learn something . . . even at my "advanced" age.:rolleyes: I'll use that, sometimes its also a problem scrolling DOWN to the last post I've read.

Thanks again. :)

You are such a sweety Chris :) If Randy or Mach want to addjust my siggy to compact it, I am ok with it. My LOOTer banner though was designed by my son :D(proud mommy) so I am partial to it :)

ps wish I could go on S&S5 but no more room for banners LMAO!!:rolleyes:

Ok Terri.....gotcha fixed...stacked some side by side.........check it out....what you had.....(and many do) was all of your stuff centered.....centering is ok for a few things but when you have a bunch of graphics and wording centered, it only has so much space to work in the center and moves everything down the page wasting all the space on the sides......now Terri has the same stuff in her siggy but cleaner looking.

I have a feeling this thread may start another housecleaning note and if some of y'all remember.....we let give you the option to houseclean before we do it for you.;)

Don't know if you're aware of this, but you can go to user CP and change the order in which a thread is posted . . . in other words, the most recent posts are right on the top, instead of the other way around. Then you only need to scroll down to the last post you read instead of scrolling through the entire thread. :)

Hope this helps you keep your job. :rolleyes:

It probably will! Thanks! :D

Ok Terri.....gotcha fixed...stacked some side by side.........check it out....what you had.....(and many do) was all of your stuff centered.....centering is ok for a few things but when you have a bunch of graphics and wording centered, it only has so much space to work in the center and moves everything down the page wasting all the space on the sides......now Terri has the same stuff in her siggy but cleaner looking.

I have a feeling this thread may start another housecleaning note and if some of y'all remember.....we let give you the option to houseclean before we do it for you.;)

You are the best! Thanks Randy!!!

And yes, I do remember!! Which is why I like to do my housecleaning myself :D

I believe I have a short signature, none. I'm on the Crazies cruise.

In fairness to Aggiesastrofan...who was quoted in your post # 65...I must admit that I have often thought the very same thing...although I was never brave enough to write it. You might be quite surprised at the unspoken reaction to the over-the-top signatures.

LOL!!! I will see if there is a way of making them side by side hun!!

Yeah... I'm still mulling over the Splendor cruise, and trying to add a quickie sometime after the first of the year... I really should just retire and live on a cruise ship... that would be the life for me!!!!

Well, thank you Randy, and Chris, THAT is pretty much what I wanted, just couldn't figure it out. And I did the "one hit on the page down key" test :D and it works. And guess what, very painless!!! :D

And I am looking for a shorty cruise this spring, or maybe the Splendor, but will try not to mess up Randy's good work. :rolleyes:

Unwritten rule # 1: 1 item in your signature per cruise.

Unwritten rule # 2: your signature should not be taller than you.

:p:D:rolleyes:

Now that was funny! Glad to hear a little humor here, it was getting pretty intense there for awhile. Woops, think I broke your unwritten rule #1 but I do have them side by side so they don't make it any longer! So could we have a unwritten clause in your #1 rule there that if they are next to each other for same cruise it is okay because both of mine are so darn CUTE and have that BLING:rolleyes: thing going on that was mentioned earlier.:D

Well folks have also complained about how many posts on the Crazies thread.

How many groups sold out the entire ship?? There is another group from elsewhere who just returned some cabins, so there are cabins you can buy on your own again, but probably very few since the entire ship was sold out. When I said sold out, I dont just mean no more CC cabins, I mean the entire ship was showing sold out almost a year in advance. No cabins period.

You may not care, but for a while there were a lot of threads complaining about the Crazies thread and the post I copied seems to hint at that.

If you'all really dont like the signatures, you can always email Mach and talk to him privately. I just dont like the way this has turned toward only a particular group. Its not the first time either.

If folks were being general I wouldnt care, since I have signatures turned off anyway, but its sounding like it is now being turned toward one group.

People who don't like certain threads or posters or signatures are more than welcome to use one of the several ways of eliminating them from their consciousness without bothering others about it.

To make light of the subject, this is one of the funniest threads I've read on CC. I am new to the Carnival boards, so all these (longer) signatures are fairly new to me. Don't get me wrong, there are long signatures to be found in other categories, but these come in at new levels. I am not familiar with this "Crazies" group, so I don't feel my comments should be taken as an attack against the, apparently popular, group. In fact, I am now curious about them, but I digress.

I have felt, that after reading these boards for almost 3 years, that I was reading more words and getting less information. It was taking more time than usual and getting somewhat tiresome. Now I know one of the reasons why. Having not only to scroll thru more signature than text on a page, I was having to move on to new pages more often, which on a computer, takes more time. I felt like I was reading about 1 page of info for every 6 pages of text.

I like the info I have received thru this thread about easier ways to navigate it. Thanks for the helpful tips! Too bad there is not a button you could push to just "Ignore certain posters' signatures" rather than ALL signatures, or certain posters ALL TOGETHER. I do like seeing certain signatures, and I am interested in reading others comments, just not their signature all the time.

I am getting close to the age where I am not sure if I am coming or going! You know what I mean: did I just walk in to this room or am I just leaving?" :confused: Am I supposed to be packing or unpacking? That sort of thing! :p
My grandmother used to say this about going into rooms and it made me laugh then too. I can certainly relate to your next line about packing for a cruise ;). I now just keep a suitcase packed with certain items. This has also made me aware that it is time to put my own signature on a diet :eek:, which I have now done.

Well....working all week has kept me behind the times...but I must weigh in here...

Some of us, like me, are here for the fun of it...and most of you, I assure you, have no clue how badly the fun here is needed...so be kind, be patient:) We are here a LOT as you can see, unlike many of you who are soooo annoyed....just let go and have fun, life is too short:D And, after a while, if you are so blessed, you will get it too and have fun here:p

LOL! look again, 2006 was years ago and pretty soon 2007 will be yers ago too!

There are ways to tone down signatures.

I don't care about signatures but some countdown clocks are a real problem. The brand you use [and I don't mean to pick on you, other people use the same type] slows my scroll way down if you post more than one. One, not a problem, 2 of them, if I'm scrolling down a page its like I slam on the brakes when I get to that type clock. 3 of them and it takes 15 to 30 seconds to get past a post.

Dan

honestly.... i tried very hard to not jump in... but are some of you so miserable that you feel the need to jump on someone because they got creative, or expressive in their signature... its thier signature! who cares what it looks like, or how it takes you 1/16'th more of a second to get past thier post...i know they are not supposed to be long... thats a "rule" ok. fine.... then thats a valid point... but to say some of the comments that have been said about this are just too funny in a very sad way....

are you the same people that complain about the content of a radio or tv station instead of just not tuning in or changing the channel??????

How some people can always find a negative in everything they come across makes me feel really sorry for them.

... off the soap box. Live Cruise, BE HAPPY!:D;):rolleyes:

(ps.... oh yea and that 2 year old countdown is from the first time me and my now fiance cruised together... ever think some have a little personal meaning for some people....geeesh)

I don't care about signatures but some countdown clocks are a real problem. The brand you use [and I don't mean to pick on you, other people use the same type] slows my scroll way down if you post more than one. One, not a problem, 2 of them, if I'm scrolling down a page its like I slam on the brakes when I get to that type clock. 3 of them and it takes 15 to 30 seconds to get past a post.

Dan

I don't know what browser you use, but you can block those in Firefox using the ABP add on.

Some of us, like me, are here for the fun of it...and most of you, I assure you, have no clue how badly the fun here is needed...so be kind, be patient:) We are here a LOT as you can see, unlike many of you who are soooo annoyed....just let go and have fun, life is too short:D And, after a while, if you are so blessed, you will get it too and have fun here:p

ok, by your rationalization....

Let's say I was at a nice dining experience where there are official and unofficial "rules of conduct". And in walked one of the "cool kids" (I can only assume that since you "are here a LOT" that makes you part of the In Crowd) who is blasting drunk - being very loud and crazy. You're saying that this "cool kid" is just having much needed fun.

I say that the blasting drunk is infringing on the rules of conduct as expected in that environment. That drunk is affecting me and my experience.... It doesn't mean that I'm not having fun, it's just that my way of having fun is different.

Of course, I'm not calling anyone here a drunk! Just trying to illustrate a point.

My original post was asking if there was a rule. I'm really surprised that no moderators have taken the time to explain the rules, but from what I've heard here in this thread that there is a self-policing rule to keep your sigs within reason. According to the poll, the majority (not overwhelming majority, but a majority none-the-less) of people agree that sigs should be kept short.

So, thanks so much for those of you who've taken the time to clean up your sigs. I have already seen a difference on some of them. The effort you took is really appreciated.

To those who feel that they must have a longer sig than anyone else, you might consider exploring why you feel that you have to have that when the majority of users are asking you to tone it down. Do you live outside of the unspoken rules? Are you above self-policing? Do you have something to prove? I'm not trying to be mean, I'm really trying to find a real reason that some feel the need to go overboard (;)) with their sigs.

For those who say that they need to remember special moments, etc, there are blogs and websites for that. Put a few lines and then point readers in the direction of the website. I actually do visit a lot of the websites that people have in their posts. I personally use Flickr and LOVE that I can share all of my travel pics that way.

This is all just my $.02 (USD), but based on the poll, I'm thinking that there are others that feel the same way.

Archived