Travel insurance with RCCL

I just purchased travel insurance through RCCL for my upcoming b/b in January. I asked if this would cover if for some unforeseen reason the airport's are closed due to icy weather etc.

The man at the back/back desk told me that we would NOT get a refund..but..would get a 75% off coupon for a future cruise.

I've not heard of this.

I went ahead and purchased the insurance because we do cruise often.

I've purchased insurance in the past..I only had to use it once when our grand daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia. They refunded our cruise $$ minus the insurance. We had to cancel 5 days before our cruise.

Anyway..I just thought that with weather conditions..(in January) the insurance would be a similar situation. Any thoughts?

We always buy from an independent insurance company. I understand you get a credit, not a check from the cruise line in the event of a claim. With an independent insurance company you get money.

Thank you, Texasmunk for your reply. We didn't get a check when we had to use our insurance with our ill grand child. We got a credit on our credit card.

This guy at RCCL says if we have to use insurance..we get 75% "Next cruise" credit. To me...makes you HAVE to use RCCL for another cruise if this doesn't work out.

Perhaps we should have gotten our insurance with independent. :(

based on a cursory glance I took the other day - it has pretty standard coverage - AND - the 'cancel any other reason' you get a 75% credit on another cruise. That's supposed to be the added benefit of buying thru the cruiseline. I have issues with buying from the cruiseline - too much conflict of interest in my opinion. I also felt the cost was out of line with higher coverage from an independent. Look at your POLICY and then compare the coverage limits AND the premium with quotes from insuremytrip.com

Thank you, Texasmunk for your reply. We didn't get a check when we had to use our insurance with our ill grand child. We got a credit on our credit card.

This guy at RCCL says if we have to use insurance..we get 75% "Next cruise" credit. To me...makes you HAVE to use RCCL for another cruise if this doesn't work out.

Perhaps we should have gotten our insurance with independent. :(

Archived