Pearl bargains and excursion advice

Millstone

Hello all you wonderful posters! Thank you so much for the fabulous tip, raves, suggections and reviews that have helped me plan my first cruiseandmy first time to Tahiti. (Pacific Princess lv Papeete Nov.29th -aaawwwkk 9 more sleeps!)

I have a couple of questions you may e able to help me with:

1.I am a deeply budget traveller but would like to buy token black pear learings for gift, that is to say around $30-40 if possible. I expect the quality at the pearl farm on Raiatea will be higher and more expensive - so where would you recommend I shop? Vendors at a dock?

2.Thank you all for Marc on Huahine. Any comments on the ship's Bora Bora ray ballet excursion and Moorea Motu/beach jaunt (4hrs)?

3. At Rangiroa I'd like to park at the beach of the Kia Ora Hotel and perhaps snorkel there. Maybe have a drink or lunch if not exhorbitant. Taxi from where the ship tenders, Avatoru? Grabbing picnic snacks there, a possibility?

4. I'm a strong swimmer and avid snorkeler but recovering from a knee surgery that has displaced my kneecap. I can walk easily over flats with my crutch, but walking in water I must crab walk sideways or flop about. My trusty companion has offered to lend a supporting arm and I think I can get in and out of boats with a ladder, but does anyone foresee any problems I should consider? I do have sturdy aqua shoes.

5. Our Canadian dollar has plummeted out of sight so should I exchange US$ for Tahitian currency or use an ATM and getit direct. Do most shops take US funds? Any ideas on how much Tahitian currency to get? Marc I believe prefers US$ but I'd like to buy the pearls, some snacks, vanilla,etc but not much else.

6.Being budget girl I would like to bring some rum in my suitcase and maybe a duty free bottle in carry-on. Will I be scanned, searched (mmnn..) or turned upside down for such. In essence, what can I get away with?

7. Anyone seeing this on our Nov 29 cruise? Well, you know where the rum will be. Let's meet.

My thanks to all of you. Warm regards.

1.I am a deeply budget traveller but would like to buy token black pear learings for gift, that is to say around $30-40 if possible. I expect the quality at the pearl farm on Raiatea will be higher and more expensive - so where would you recommend I shop? Vendors at a dock?

***The dealers at the docki n Moorea will be selling pearls for as little as 100 CFP. I bought several very nice necklaces for about $5 a piece. Unless you are an expert, you can't tell these 'grade b' pearls from the grade a (and no one else has to know!!)***

2.Thank you all for Marc on Huahine. Any comments on the ship's Bora Bora ray ballet excursion and Moorea Motu/beach jaunt (4hrs)?

***We were going to do the Moorea Motu excursion, but decided upon the snorkeling safari instead - we ended up snorkeling just off the motu and watch Princess folks getting off for the picnic. It's a larger facility with places to change, a nice covered eating area and a 'fenced off' area for snorkeling. The Bora Bora ray ballet was less than impressive. Pick the snorkeling safari on Moorea to really get close to the rays (and sharks). We swam with them for about half an hour.***

3. At Rangiroa I'd like to park at the beach of the Kia Ora Hotel and perhaps snorkel there. Maybe have a drink or lunch if not exhorbitant. Taxi from where the ship tenders, Avatoru? Grabbing picnic snacks there, a possibility?

***Prior to our cruise, we spent a week at the Kia Ora.Kia Ora Sauvage. There really isn't much in the way of a beach at the Kia Ora, to be honest, although I found the snorkeling pretty good. The ship tenders in the lagoon just off of Tiputa. A taxi ride will run you about $5 a person one way. It's probably about a mile walk from the dock and I know lots of folks did that. There is a small store where you can buy whatever you want, but do be aware that prices are high there (and through the roof at Kia Ora - four days there cost us the same as ten days on the ship) Drinks will run about $10 and up, except for beer. it's pretty inexpensive.

You can take a taxi to Avatoru, but it's a long ride to see a sleepy little village with few shopping options. Still it's a nice place to wander around if you've got the time.***

4. I'm a strong swimmer and avid snorkeler but recovering from a knee surgery that has displaced my kneecap. I can walk easily over flats with my crutch, but walking in water I must crab walk sideways or flop about. My trusty companion has offered to lend a supporting arm and I think I can get in and out of boats with a ladder, but does anyone foresee any problems I should consider? I do have sturdy aqua shoes.

***You will need to be very careful getting in and out of the boats when you're snorkeling. The water is very clear, so you can see where you're walking, but the coral makes moving a trip hazard. Make sure that your companion stays with you until you start swimming. Some of the ladders where quite the challenge for me, but if you ask for help, your guide will be quick to lend a hand.***

5. Our Canadian dollar has plummeted out of sight so should I exchange US$ for Tahitian currency or use an ATM and getit direct. Do most shops take US funds? Any ideas on how much Tahitian currency to get? Marc I believe prefers US$ but I'd like to buy the pearls, some snacks, vanilla,etc but not much else.

***Most vendors will take USD in Tahiti, but the further you get away from Tahiti, the less likely they will be to accept USD. We took $500 with us and exchanged another $300 on the trip. Nearly every place we went did take credit cards though, although not as many accepted American Express.***

6.Being budget girl I would like to bring some rum in my suitcase and maybe a duty free bottle in carry-on. Will I be scanned, searched (mmnn..) or turned upside down for such. In essence, what can I get away with?

***Maybe, but maybe not. You won't in a carry on as all go through the xray machine and will be taken from you and given back to you at the end of the trip. Wine and champagne are fine and you can probably get away with the rum in your suitcase,proving you haven't packed 14 bottles of it or something crazy like that.***

7. Anyone seeing this on our Nov 29 cruise? Well, you know where the rum will be. Let's meet.

My thanks to all of you. Warm regards.

If you have any other questions, let me know either here or directly at charliekirby@comcast.com and I'll try to help!

Archived