Rock in roll. In a bad way

OMG :eek:

I was amazed that those 4 girls just sat there (on the right hand side) until half the dining room slammed into their table. :eek: And then they STILL stayed there. :rolleyes: What would it take to get them to move from their meal? Oh wait, I know the answer to that, the waiter AND the waiter station slamming into their table...that made them move. :p

Thanks Gordon!

WOW!!! We are getting ready to sail on our first cruise in 7 days. The kids and I watched that and couldn't believe the movement! :eek: I sure hope we don't experiance anything close to that.

It's not the size of the ship.

You're right, it's the motion of the ocean! :D

Interesting....would have to skip tipping that night...service seemed to cut off...where is my refill? :D

On one of my Summer Work ships, we were tossed all over for 12-24 hours...think it was closer to the full day...sat to eat, one hand on the drink...one arm on the plate to keep it still and the fork in a hand...bend over the plate to eat. Chairs were bolted to the floor and would twist side to side...so we would roll around some, but generally had to eat fast to get dinner down. On another trip when we had to head into a hurricane, I just skipped eating for a day.

noticed the comment in your siggie about Santa bringing money so you can go to Cambodia--hope it works out for you DAve

Ah, yes - the incredible power of the ocean.

In 1973 I was aboard an aircraft carrier that was operating in the South China Sea. A typhoon was coming so we had to run to Yokosuka, Japan to get away from it. VERY heavy seas and high winds. Being young and still a bit foolish, I took the opportunity to go out on the stern area if the hanger deck.

For those unfamiliar, this is where the anchor capstans are located with the huge anchor chains coming off them. It was during the day, we were really rolling and pitching, and I was hanging on to one of the anchor chains for dear life. Everytime the stern dipped I would look up and seeing nothing but black ocean - when we rose, nothing but black and purple sky. The tin can following us routinely disappeared from view. Scary, but exhilirating at the same time.

Like may things I did in my misspent youth - sure glad I was there and did that. Also quite sure that I would not do it again:D.

Archived