Carseat?/Airport?/Stoller?

marniegirl

We will be traveling 1/18/2008 on the Carnival Victory. My DH, DS with our DD, S-I-N and our 2 1/2 yr old grandson. We've cruised before with our own DS but never with a baby. I've pretty much poured over these threads and realize, we HAVE TO BRING the car seat for the baby. Not just for the airplane ride, but for any cab rides and tours we take. My question is, if we purchase the GoGo Kidz Travelmate car seat transporter, can that double as a stroller throughout the trip or will we still need a stroller? Is there a better way to do this?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

This is what the thing looks like:

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

Thanks for the responses. I guess we'll either purchase the GoGo travelmate, or a car seat carrybag and use the stroller as well.

I'm just so used to travelling as light as possible that the inclusion of all these extras, was beginning to feel a little daunting. But like I told my DD, that as soon as you are on the cruise, you forget about any of the little inconveniences along the way!

Thanks again,

marniegirl

You could also use an inexpensive metal luggage cart which works similarly to the GGK travelmate. I found these pictures online (babycenter.com traveling with children site) that illustrate:

3Kr3OcLi7EnlNnDhFB64QKffGhRkVhY1_lg.jpgqWidPNCMa5q1Oy2happpfAyNBMaTLhlB_lg.jpgNY3Lep9bqATlH4JEU9nmYRdC5WsMYD06_lg.jpg

I agree, even if you get the GGK, I'd still bring a seperate stroller.

Oh and also, the travelmate must be removed when using the car seat in the car. This could be a bit of a pain to deal with if you had to detach it every time you had to hail a taxi.

hth!

I created a post a few weeks ago on this same topic. I just purchased and recieved a joey-safe freedom rider. We will use it this weekend on our cruise. It folds up and fits in a diaper bag, which is just what I was looking for. If your child is at least one, this is a good option.

I created a post a few weeks ago on this same topic. I just purchased and recieved a joey-safe freedom rider. We will use it this weekend on our cruise. It folds up and fits in a diaper bag, which is just what I was looking for. If your child is at least one, this is a good option.

did a quick search on car-seat.org and found a few threads on the joey-safe. Basically, it is not recommended as it does not properly restrain a child in the vehicle (despite whatever the mfgr claims). Personally, i wouldn't trust my ds's life with it. JMO.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=17508&highlight=joey+safe

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=18934&highlight=joey+safe

Marniegirl,

I'm just curious, will you be travelling with another child beyond the 2 1/2 yr old? If not, we did just come back from a western route, with our 2 yr old son. I can understand needing a car seat for the flight and travel in the US; however, we were able to hold him in our laps in taxis and what not... car seats can be such a pain to lug around. Also, most areas away from port are NOT easily traversed by stroller, let alone any of these make-shift stroller/ car seat combos. Something to think about... Generally, our little one prefers to walk anyways.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Marniegirl,

I'm just curious, will you be travelling with another child beyond the 2 1/2 yr old? If not, we did just come back from a western route, with our 2 yr old son. I can understand needing a car seat for the flight and travel in the US; however, we were able to hold him in our laps in taxis and what not... car seats can be such a pain to lug around. Also, most areas away from port are NOT easily traversed by stroller, let alone any of these make-shift stroller/ car seat combos. Something to think about... Generally, our little one prefers to walk anyways.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

First I want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

DD has a luggage hand truck and the car seat didn't really fit as good as she would like.

reedstephstuff,

Just the 2 1/2 yr. old. If it were me, I'd just hold the baby on my lap, but DD doesn't feel this way. Being we will be taking taxi rides as tours, she would feel better with her own car seat. I'm not so sure I blame her. Anyone here ever ride in a cab on an island that shares its one lane potholed road with oncoming traffic? And the wild hairpin turns if you are climbing a mountainous area? Holy Moly!!! Also, she feels that he wouldn't stay seated if he were not restrained in his own safe and comfy car seat, so car seat it is.

DD and SIL are young and healthy first time cruisers (first time flyer's as well!) and feel that a car seat cover with shoulder straps is what they can afford to do. God love ambitious young people!

We all decided that buying the GoGo Kidz travel thing was too expensive for a one time deal, but will be bringing his stroller as well. Live and learn.

Thanks again for all your responses: such a wealth of info, experiences,

suggestions and generous people. Finding CC was the best preparation for a cruise yet!

Marnie

Archived