Splendor cabin under galley

joln83

I've been lurking for quite a while, but now I'm asking for advice. DH and I were onboard the Splendor last week and (pardon the pun) we had a splendid time. However, our cabin was 2411 under the galley and we got very little sleep from the clanging of pots and pans from 10pm until about 4am each night. I called the purser's desk and visited the desk throughout the cruise and was given an apology. So, my question to you veterans; how do I make sure this doesn't happen again? I booked the cruise with Carnival and told them I wanted an inside cabin. I'm not familiar with how to pick a certain cabin or deck. Thanks for your time in replying.

The only way to absolutely avoid that sort of thing is to study the deck plans (looking at the decks above and below where you want to be) and book a specific room.

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Category:Deck_Plans is a good place to find MOST of the deck plans. Splendor, alas, is not there.

I've been lurking for quite a while, but now I'm asking for advice. DH and I were onboard the Splendor last week and (pardon the pun) we had a splendid time. However, our cabin was 2411 under the galley and we got very little sleep from the clanging of pots and pans from 10pm until about 4am each night. I called the purser's desk and visited the desk throughout the cruise and was given an apology. So, my question to you veterans; how do I make sure this doesn't happen again? I booked the cruise with Carnival and told them I wanted an inside cabin. I'm not familiar with how to pick a certain cabin or deck. Thanks for your time in replying.

Hi there,

Several popular, well-known travel web sites have the deck plans of cruise ships. Some will even show which cabins are available! Using the deck plans, you will be able to get a good idea what cabin you want and of greater importance, what cabin you do not want.

Getting the “best” cabin for the “best” price on the “best” ship with the “best” itinerary becomes a “seek and ye shall find” adventure. It can be fun.

On some of the web sites you will need to do a pretend booking to get to the pertinent information. It is just part of the game.

If you would like to know my favorite sites (It is against the CC rules to tell you here) I’ll share the info, just drop me an e-mail.

OH crumb, i was "upgraded" to the Empress deck on the Fascination for Dec. 4 and it IS right underneath the galley too!! Crap, will we have issues too you think? I was wondering about that before but never bothered asking. Would anyone advise us to ask about moving?

OH crumb, i was "upgraded" to the Empress deck on the Fascination for Dec. 4 and it IS right underneath the galley too!! Crap, will we have issues too you think? I was wondering about that before but never bothered asking. Would anyone advise us to ask about moving?

If I contacted my PVP would she be allowed to move us? I guess I can always use ear plugs at night huh. :rolleyes:

duhhh I am half asleep, I re-read it... under the galley...

We were under the dining room and didn't hear a peep.

I'm not sure how it would work but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Just tell them that you are afraid the galley would be noisey...

We stayed in E94 and our friend stayed in E98 and we didn't hear a peep!

duhhh I am half asleep, I re-read it... under the galley...

We were under the dining room and didn't hear a peep.

I'm not sure how it would work but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask. Just tell them that you are afraid the galley would be noisey...

We stayed in E94 and our friend stayed in E98 and we didn't hear a peep!

Yep, it is right under the galley. I emailed her, see if I get a response, probably not, but may just take ear plugs and not worry about it and see what happens :)

Do anything you can to prevent being under the galley. We had the most horrible experienc a last year and would not be anywhere near the galley again. We didn't sleep for seven days, we were doing a long cruise and they did find us another room.

Oh no Oh NO. shoot, can't believe I have not heard about this before...ok, I'm calling my PVP and thanks for the heads up!!

I called Carnival today and asked them to move me from underneath the Galley and they did. I am now a deck below, upper deck and room is underneath the shore excursion deck :D I think I can deal with that noise and thank you for mentioning how undesirable the rooms under the galley are and giving me the opportunity to switch cabins.

Just one thing I might have screwed myself on and now wish I would have just stayed where I was to begin with.

Booked guaranteed inside cabin and was put on main deck. When I saw the price went down I called and they offered to move me up 2 decks, to Empress, or giving me the $60 total OBC and I chose to move up the 2 decks, WITHOUT LOOKING WHERE IT WAS BEFORE COMMITTING :eek:

So now, after getting them to move me, I am only one deck up and no OBC. Oh well, like I said, should have just stayed put. :eek:

OoooDonna, You did the right thing by changing cabins. EVERYTHING about our cruise on the Splendor was GEAT, except the location of our cabin. By the fourth night of getting no sleep, I was light headed and felt like crying over the least little thing. I don't know if the ship was sold out, but the purser's desk never offered to move us or compensate in any way. I will use this cruise as a learning experience.

I was offered an OBC but I had to go from a gty cabin to an assigned one. One of the cabin choices was under the galley or under the dining room. It occured to me that people eat on crusies ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT and because of that, the gally would be clinging and clangin prob 24/7 and even if it wasn't all hours of the night, I figured it would at least begin super early to accomodate breakfast. Now the dining room, I figured not many people would eat breakfast in the dining room so minimal noise in the morning and dinner would be over by the time I went to bed, sooooooooooo I chose the cabin under the dining room. YOU GUYS CONFIRMED I MADE THE BEST CHOICE!! Thank you! :) God luck to those who are trying to change and BON VOYAGE!

Hockey Addict, my first cruise was on the Fascination as well. about 2 1/2 weeks after you. It's where I first fell in love! With cruising that is

join83 - when you book a cruise,

you have the option of booking a specific cabin at time of booking {in which case you look at the ship's deck plans and choose the cabin in advance or in consultation with your TA/PVP while looking at the plans]

-or- for less money you can book a "Guarantee" cabin, for which you've agreed that you'll take any cabin Carnival assigns, any deck, any location, assigned as late as check-in --- and you're stuck with that cabin once assigned.

If you're concerned about cabin location and deck level, then you book the former and are careful to look at deck plans for cabin location (fwd, mid-ship, aft, near stairs, elevators or service spaces) and for what's above and below the cabin.

Be aware that for Carnival and the other on-line sites, the cabins that they display as available for booking are usually NOT the only cabins available in that Category (and IMO are generally the least desirable cabins/locations). Ken

This is why we only "choose" our cabin rather than taking a GTY. I know I could save some $$$ but I don't like surprises when it comes to my room for the week.

My "rule of thumb" when choosing a room is to always be sure there are staterooms above and below the room I am selecting.

Happy Sailing

You have experienced the most nightmarish of all situations on a cruise. I foolishly accepted the same kind of cabin without checking out the fact that on the deck above, the space was blank, rather than clearly showing "NOISE GALLEY". I have never been so miserable as day and night, it was impossible to sleep. What pisses me off is the disrespect that is shown to passengers who continue to complain, who continue to get no satisfaction and end the cruise exhausted. Such areas should be used for storage or work areas, not for passengers. I kept on complaining until I was finally assigned a different cabin...someone had left the ship sick. It too was noisy but nothing is quite as bad as the galley!

When I book now, I have the deck plan in front of me on the internet, shifting from one deck to another to ascertain whether anything noisy is above before I accept a cabin, rather than listening to the sweet TA.

You have my sympathy.

MMC

Are all the cabins beneath the galley subject to a lot of noise, or is it dependent on the area of the galley you are under? Anyone have any idea's or input on this?

Agreeing with all of the posters above, and answering your question here specifically...

No, not every single cabin that is located under a galley is subject to a lot of noise...

But, it is far, far more likely to get in one with a lot of noise, than to luck into the one or two on each ship that is quiet.

And if anyone ever tells you "Well, I stayed in cabin #Blah, Blah - and it was directly under the galley and it was really quiet" that is their specific experience on their specific cruise.

So don't count on it for yours!

Each ship (even if they have the same layout) have their equipment in slightly different locations (according to each chef's preferences).

Each ship might have a different way of running their kitchen so might do things at different times of day.

Under the dining rooms are generally quiet and okay. There is carpet there, and as people said - breakfast is the time of day when the fewest amount of cruisers eat in the dining room.

But, I would never ever book a cruise with a cabin under a galley on any ship, in any class.

Ever hear an industrial power mixer at 4 am, right above your head?

Ever hear metal food carts, rolling back and forth with food prep items going from one end of the kitchen to the other in the afternoon when you are trying to take a nap?

A cabin under a galley is never ever worth taking a chance in my opinion.

Right under the main stage of a showroom is quieter, as at least when the show is going on - you are more likely to be out and about, or even at the show itself.

How's that for a very experienced opinion?

Hope this helps someone now, or in the future.

:cool:

Thanks to everyone who replied with help on how to not let this happen again.

I am not satisfied with the service I received from Carnival because of the noisey cabin I was assigned. I realize I paid for an inside cabin cat 4, but it should have been a room where you could get some sleep.

I sent an email to Carnival Monday, Nov 24, but no response. Is there a complaint procedure? Who do I call? I booked with a guy at Carnival named Robert.

One of the first things I do when booking a cabin is check what is above it. Last year I had a cruise with a small meeting room above me. As suspected that was not an issue.

Another area not to be below is where the pool furniture is. Assuming this is across cruise lines they remove the furniture every night and move it back every morning so it makes a lot of noise.

Archived