Best Beaches/Snorkeling

cruisecap

We will be in Roatan in March and would like to snorkle as well as spend some time at the beach. We would appreciate information on where the best location might be.

Should we schedule a tour from the cruise line or go on our own. If we go on our own can you give details.

thanks

I was in Roatan in June 04. We booked a snorkel trip with the Bay Island Beach Resort people. They pick you up at the ship and take you back. They seem very reputable, very nice, and were there on time to pick us up. Their place is very laid back (I liked it). Their beach was nice but unexpectedly not white....kinda tan color. Very tropical place. I wanted to go to their famous "spookey channel" snorkel/dive site but they suggested that we go down the reef a bit to snorkel (near Anthony's cay I think). I'm very glad I took their suggestion since the water was much clearer there. I had wanted to try snorkeling from the beach at BIBR but it was too shallow and grassey there. They took us outside the reef into pretty deep water but the coral was incredible and the water had great visibility. Didn't see too many fish though. Maybe it was wrong time of day or something. Then we came back through spookey channel and I see how it got its name. It was very murkey and spookey there....poor for snorkeling (but I think that rains the previous day may have cause temporary poor visibility) All in all it was a very good day. You don't want to hang out where the ship docks....its poor and depressing. Taxis are available if you want to just wing it. I'm going back again in January but this time I don't know where I want to go. The west end sounds interesting but I didn't get there. BIBR has a website. Just do a search. Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Hi there

Have been meaning to email you to let you know we are two families with 2 girls almost 14 and two boys 15. I told them there would be lots of friends for them with your crowd coming! The girls are especially excited!!! Last night my daughter was imitating one of the guys on the tarmac guiding a plane in saying she was going to get those batons with a big sign saying Welcome Ohio! We are going to do private tours we found online in Roatan and Belize. Are you guys doing the ships tours?

Rgds

AngieS

Archived