Just off Sapphire

CruizBlooz

Yes, it's always bumpiest coming back, but never anything to make me worry or feel sea sick and I get sea sick fairly easy, so with that said, it's nothing like something really horrible, in which I have had before, but not from Mexico. I would still say it's one of the calmest cruises you can go on all the way around. I'm sure there's been times when it's rockier than others coming back, but like I said, I've been 10 times all at different times of the year and have never had a serious problem on the way back.

Yes, it's always bumpiest coming back, but never anything to make me worry or feel sea sick and I get sea sick fairly easy, so with that said, it's nothing like something really horrible, in which I have had before, but not from Mexico. I would still say it's one of the calmest cruises you can go on all the way around. I'm sure there's been times when it's rockier than others coming back, but like I said, I've been 10 times all at different times of the year and have never had a serious problem on the way back.

On our New Year's cruise on the Dawn, the last sea day was pretty rough. We were sitting in the Vista Lounge playing Bingo and you could see the horizon going up and down through the windows. A bit disconcerting but fun to watch (I don't get motion-sick). There was also some folks getting sick (someone puked right outside of Princess Theater, caused quite the traffic jam as people moved around it). Of course, part of the problem I'm sure is that the Dawn is significantly smaller than the Sapphire and is more affected by rough seas.

Oh, and I was Gerardo's best customer a few weeks back in Crooners! LOL Yummy martinis!

Thanks for this post, we're sailing on Sapphire in Feb. Two questions:

1) The Sterling Steakhouse is just a cornered off part of Horizon, right? My husband wants to try it but I don't want to sit in Horizon if that's how it is (on the Grand it was a seperate restaurant).

2) is Chef's table available on the Sapphire yet?

3) Do you have copies of the dining room menus?

Thanks!

Thanks for this post, we're sailing on Sapphire in Feb. Two questions:

The Sterling Steakhouse is just a cornered off part of Horizon, right? My husband wants to try it but I don't want to sit in Horizon if that's how it is (on the Grand it was a seperate restaurant).

Thanks!

Sterling's is indeed a seperated corner of the Horizon but it is effectively a seperate room as it's in the rear part with a dividing wall. They do dress it up a bit too with tablecloths etc but I must admit, the atmosphere gained isn't the same as for instance the Crown Grill.

Having said that, the steaks were superb and very good service too..!!

I've just got to jump in here and post a comment about the "choppiness"...

A lot of folks mistakenly think it's due to currents or rough seas...

Of course, those may be a factor, but it's generally not the real issue...

Notice a lot of folks always comment about things like "The seas are choppier on the way back than on the way there"...Guess what? You are passing through the SAME ocean with the SAME currents in BOTH directions!

Here's the LARGER factor:

Today's large cruise ships have "Stabilizer" systems...These consist, basically, of retractable wings that fan out under the water with small engines and computerized sensors...They act to keep the ship more level--to decrease the rocking and swaying...MOST of the time, the ship sails with these spread out and operating...and it works...but it also slows the ship down...

When the ship, due to scheduling and itinerary, needs to make up a lot of distance, they RETRACT the stabilizers...The ship goes faster...but it also rocks and sways more...

On the Sapphire Princess itinerary, they need to make up the longest distance on the voyage between Cabo San Lucas and Los Angeles--that last day and a half with the final at-sea day...

Most often, they will deploy the stabilizers during the day--when more people are out and about the ship--and pull them in at night--thus giving you that rocky effect during those final two nights at sea...

Of course, it does vary cruise to cruise at the discretion of the Captain and where he is in relation to his itinerary...

The other note is that everyone reacts differently to rocking...Some find it relaxing and comforting--AT NIGHT-while in bed...Some people tend to feel every little movement, others are oblivious to it...Of course, the "fun" part always seems to me to be on those last two evenings, leaving the show room after the show and a couple of drinks, walking up that slight uphill ramp from the stage area to the back of the theater with the crowds all departing at once and the people merging in from the other rows--That walk seems to produce the most fun crashes and losses of balance...

Hi We are doing a B 2 B in mid Jan on the Sapphire. How were the seas on Fri?

Did you do Tradiotional or anytime? We like late & wondered if they mix in anytime like we heard from someother post?

Any good comedians stand out?

A lot of Tuxs or more suits on formal night?

thanks

I've just got to jump in here and post a comment about the "choppiness"...

A lot of folks mistakenly think it's due to currents or rough seas...

Of course, those may be a factor, but it's generally not the real issue...

Notice a lot of folks always comment about things like "The seas are choppier on the way back than on the way there"...Guess what? You are passing through the SAME ocean with the SAME currents in BOTH directions!

Here's the LARGER factor:

Today's large cruise ships have "Stabilizer" systems...These consist, basically, of retractable wings that fan out under the water with small engines and computerized sensors...They act to keep the ship more level--to decrease the rocking and swaying...MOST of the time, the ship sails with these spread out and operating...and it works...but it also slows the ship down...

When the ship, due to scheduling and itinerary, needs to make up a lot of distance, they RETRACT the stabilizers...The ship goes faster...but it also rocks and sways more...

On the Sapphire Princess itinerary, they need to make up the longest distance on the voyage between Cabo San Lucas and Los Angeles--that last day and a half with the final at-sea day...

Most often, they will deploy the stabilizers during the day--when more people are out and about the ship--and pull them in at night--thus giving you that rocky effect during those final two nights at sea...

Of course, it does vary cruise to cruise at the discretion of the Captain and where he is in relation to his itinerary...

The other note is that everyone reacts differently to rocking...Some find it relaxing and comforting--AT NIGHT-while in bed...Some people tend to feel every little movement, others are oblivious to it...Of course, the "fun" part always seems to me to be on those last two evenings, leaving the show room after the show and a couple of drinks, walking up that slight uphill ramp from the stage area to the back of the theater with the crowds all departing at once and the people merging in from the other rows--That walk seems to produce the most fun crashes and losses of balance...

All true, although I believe that on the southbound leg, the ship is moving with the current and, of course, on the northbound leg, the ship is moving against the current. Therefore, there will be more motion on the northbound journey than on the southbound. On the Dawn, the motion was basically fore and aft, not a rolling motion that would be taken care of by the stabilizers. The stabilizers have no or little effect on fore and aft motion.

Just letting everyone know that is planning to take the Sapphire to Mexico, it's a great ship and a very nice cruise. If they still have the cruise directors Josh and Paul, you will love them. They are very funny, fun, and you see them all over the ship. Some of the best I've seen. Everything is still up to par on this ship and I wouldn't have any doubts. If you have any questions, just ask away.

Very nice of you to so patiently answer everyone's questions - thanks! I'm curious about how the shows were on board?

Bob

So happy to see your post! I'll be on the Sapphire to Mexican Riviera on Feb. 7.

Do you know of any internet cafes/bars at any of the ports of call?

Moriah

They're everywhere. Just follow the crew. There is one in Mazatlan in the building through which you'll pass when you get off the ship.

And btw, I wasn't terribly impressed with the CD. I've sailed with better ones. Probably the thing that soured me the most was the canned morning show. Nothing live or spontaneous. I guess it'd be informative for the first time cruiser, but I found it boring. :rolleyes:

They're everywhere. Just follow the crew. There is one in Mazatlan in the building through which you'll pass when you get off the ship.

And btw, I wasn't terribly impressed with the CD. I've sailed with better ones. Probably the thing that soured me the most was the canned morning show. Nothing live or spontaneous. I guess it'd be informative for the first time cruiser, but I found it boring. :rolleyes:

I totally agree... The CD could be more unique...

Archived