Legend Review!!!

gman0119

My husband and I are celebrating our 9th Anniversary on the Legend on april 19, 2009 and cant wait. WE are first time cruisers and am counting the days and have registered on Carnival sight and just have to get passport now. My husband was in the Navy on submarines for 12 years and cant wait to go on a ship that he doesnt have to work and we can use all the hints and inside scoops possible. Tell us where to go and what to do and the ins and outs of cruising please....

My husband and I are celebrating our 9th Anniversary on the Legend on april 19, 2009 and cant wait. WE are first time cruisers and am counting the days and have registered on Carnival sight and just have to get passport now. My husband was in the Navy on submarines for 12 years and cant wait to go on a ship that he doesnt have to work and we can use all the hints and inside scoops possible. Tell us where to go and what to do and the ins and outs of cruising please....

Wow, that's a loaded question!!!! That's like saying, what car should I buy!!!

My recommendations to you are to stay on this board!!! The members of CC give fantastic information! Just read through some of the topics that interest you. Some general tips, I can think of are:

If you want good exercise, get a room at either end. Cruise ships are so long, you'll have to walk a lot getting from one end to the other!

Read the Carnival Caper that will be put in your room every night, to look for things that will interest you the next day. Don't try to do it all, though, or you will come home tired!

The food is free, room service is free (except for tip), so don't hold back!!! If you see more than one thing on the menu that you want, order them both!

If you need more specifics on shore excursions, I recommend you go to the site on Cruise Critic that has the ports of call. You can find valuable information there, and what you will like and dislike.

Hope that helps a little!

Gman-we just booked 5242 and 5244 (port aft side balconies) on the Legend for March 1, 2009. My question is can the divider between the balconies be opened? I have seen pictures from higher decks open, but wondering about those on the upper deck. We cruised on the Crown Princess and NCL Star and it worked out so well to open up the balconies. We really enjoy it and spend late afternoon/early evenings out there. Great review. I am sure I will refer to several times before we cruise. Right now I am researching hotels for the night before. We get into Tampa at 11pm and really don't need much other than bed and bathroom. Any suggestions? I have stayed at the Embassy Suites next to the Port and that would be too expensive for this short of time. Just thought of another question-is there self laundry rooms on the Legend? I haven't seen any the deck plans.

Gman-we just booked 5242 and 5244 (port aft side balconies) on the Legend for March 1, 2009. My question is can the divider between the balconies be opened? I have seen pictures from higher decks open, but wondering about those on the upper deck. We cruised on the Crown Princess and NCL Star and it worked out so well to open up the balconies. We really enjoy it and spend late afternoon/early evenings out there. Great review. I am sure I will refer to several times before we cruise. Right now I am researching hotels for the night before. We get into Tampa at 11pm and really don't need much other than bed and bathroom. Any suggestions? I have stayed at the Embassy Suites next to the Port and that would be too expensive for this short of time. Just thought of another question-is there self laundry rooms on the Legend? I haven't seen any the deck plans.

Balconies can be opened. Just ask your room steward. If he can't do it, he'll get someone that can. I noticed that ours had a lock on it, so I know it can be opened.

As far as a room, you may want to take a chance with Priceline. Personally, I can't stand not knowing what I'm bidding on, but I have seen posts here that showed people getting near the port for very good prices, in some of the bests hotels in that area. The downtown area is very pretty, and on the weekends, looked very safe.

There are self laundry rooms on the Legend. We had asked about it. I am not sure if they are on every floor, but I do know that they have them. The room steward will point you to them.

Happy cruising, and don't hesitate to ask anything else. If I don't now, I'll tell you, and I'll try to find out!

gman-thanks for the response. Good to hear about the laundry. We did Priceline for our room in Long Beach for our last cruise. We ended up across the street from the pier and the car return rental agency was in our hotel and the shuttle driver drove us to the ship because she had disembarking passengers to pick up. We got up early being still on Iowa time and we could watch the Star come into port. I know I will have more questions even though this will be cruise #11.

We are in cabin 5187 do you recal if we will be on the port side for any of the ports?

It depends. Port on a ship is left, starboard is right (both if facing forward). Depending on how the ship comes into the port, either side may have a view of the port.

In Nassau one year, we came into port and were on the starboard side with a great view of downtown. The ship then did a 180 and backed into the pier. We then had a view of the ocean.

It depends. Port on a ship is left, starboard is right (both if facing forward). Depending on how the ship comes into the port, either side may have a view of the port.

In Nassau one year, we came into port and were on the starboard side with a great view of downtown. The ship then did a 180 and backed into the pier. We then had a view of the ocean.

It doesn't matter for Grand Cayman or Belize, since you tender. Our room was port, and we were facing land in Cozumel and Roatan, but for Cozumel, especially, it just depends which pier you get to. Since so many boats are there, no telling where they will put the ship!

Archived