Another overpriced area

warmwinds

I hadn't even thought to check X for my pre-cruise hotel in San Juan. We're staying 2 nights, had booked on our own the Sheraton Old San Juan at $209 per night (AARP) and the Caribe Hilton at slightly more (trying to decide which). So $450 and change (taxes) for both nights.

Today I called X and I almost fell off my chair...for 2 nights, $806 for the Hilton, and $814 for the Sheraton! Are they KIDDING??!! Oh yes, it includes transportation to the pier on departure day - at the most a $20 cab ride, maybe less.

What are they thinking?

I hadn't even thought to check X for my pre-cruise hotel in San Juan. We're staying 2 nights, had booked on our own the Sheraton Old San Juan at $209 per night (AARP) and the Caribe Hilton at slightly more (trying to decide which). So $450 and change (taxes) for both nights.

Today I called X and I almost fell off my chair...for 2 nights, $806 for the Hilton, and $814 for the Sheraton! Are they KIDDING??!! Oh yes, it includes transportation to the pier on departure day - at the most a $20 cab ride, maybe less.

What are they thinking?

San Juan is OVERPRICED in General! It's not my fav place but, with us being from Canada we HAVE to fly in the day before. We used priceline for our Nov 2 overnighter at the Sheraton Old San Juan and paid $100US.

Sheraton Old San Juan is OVER RATED as well. I will only stay here IF I have no other choice. Front desk clerks are RUDE, long lineups, they will NOT let you check in before 3pm and the rooms are OK.

Personally, I would NOT pay $209 let alone $814 .... IMHO! :cool:

There are many of us who can NOT use Priceline - we have elderly parents and getting a totally non-refundable hotel room is out of the question.

You're missing the point - Celebrity is charging more than double what anyone could get these hotels for, not even using Priceline.

What are they thinking?

This is exactly why I never book anything with the cruise line, outside the cruise of course:)

I use priceline also. It works very well!

There are many of us who can NOT use Priceline - we have elderly parents and getting a totally non-refundable hotel room is out of the question.

You're missing the point - Celebrity is charging more than double what anyone could get these hotels for, not even using Priceline.

No, I'm not missing the point. Hence the reason for my suggesting Priceline....I didn't know your reasoning for not using them.

Have a great evening! :cool:

I think it's strange that they charge so much for hotels, yet their air is often priced in line with what you can arrange yourself (or less, if they are offering an air promo.) But I don't think this situation is unique to Celebrity, and it's not something new ... we discovered it when looking into hotels in Venice for our Med cruise 3 years ago. We did our own booking for the same hotel they use, at half the cost.

There are ports where it may make sense to book air and hotels through the cruise line in order to get long-distance transfers (e.g. Rome-Civitavecchia), especially for those who aren't comfortable making their own transfer arrangements. ....but I agree, in your situation, it doesn't make sense.

Have you checked the Hampton Inn in Isla Verde? I go to Puerto Rico twice a year for business. We stay here often. This hotel is across the street from the beach, has a very nice pool and hot tub area. It has a outdoor bar area, that does great burgers and steaks on the grill. It is a $10 cab ride from the airport, and another $20 to the ship. Of course, breakfast is included, and the rooms are very nice, some being two room suites like Embassy Suites. It is sound proof, so no noise from the nearby airport. Lots of other hotels and restaurants in the area as well.

Archived