cover charge or surcharge restaurants

cfc525

Haven't cruised since the casual dining started and looking for some information specifically speaking of the Norwegian Dawn. If there is a cover or surcharge cost of $12.00 or $15.00 mentioned to eat at a particular restaurant, would that indeed be what it cost to eat there? Or is there some other hidden cost on top of that cover charge? And is it really worth paying to eat there? :mad: Can someone please explain :confused:

There are no hidden costs. The cruise lines advise that this is the gratuity for the servers since they are not included in the tips that you are assessed $10 per day. You also can add more if you like, we did that on RCL in Portofinos since it was so outstanding and the service was worth more than the $20 per person. One exception is there may be an upcharge for certain foods...surf and turf, etc.

We always take advantage of eating at the Pinnacle Grill when we cruise on HAL. The extra charge is $20 pp, and we will be eating there next Tuesday!! So well worth the cost, and there are no extras.

Eating at the surcharge restaurants is subjective. We'll go if we get a 2 for 1 coupon or see the special advertised in the daily paper. The food isn't that much better, IMO. I actually think the steaks at Cagneys are mediocre, but I love true high end steak houses like Peter Lugers so I'm comparting apples to crab apples. It was entertaining to watch the chef at Teppenaki do all those tricks on a moving ship but unless you know everyone at the table, to be hibatchi dining isn't that much fun & it always makes me feel sort of alone in a crowd, if that makes sense. We were comp'd our meal there & I would have been aggravated to have spent an extra $40 to eat there; it wasn't worth it.

For us the allure is that rooms tend to be smaller & more intimate. I'm not a huge fan of gigantic dining rooms.

Take all the above w/ a grain of salt b/c we are not foodies. I could cruise w/o them & be just as happy.

Archived