Can champagne ssurvive being in checked luggage for an airplane flight?

ketzelacruising

I'm sure you have the same hesitation I do. I think it's taking a risk to put it in your checked luggage because it might blow up from all the tossing and throwing. That'd be some sticky luggage if it breaks, not to mention how ticked off others might be if it leaks on their stuff. Maybe others have experience with checking champagne in their luggage. Good luck. :)

We've done it in the past without any breakage problems. Bubble wrap and a big garbage bag.

But now that we go in the day before, why bother? There are always some places near by.

We got very fortunate on our cruise this Sunday on Spirit. One of our fellow travelers is from LA and is picking up our Vueve Cliquot (2 bottles) for us (or already has picked up). Gladly pay the $15/bottle given the cost difference.

Forgot to add that those bottles weigh some. Watch the scales when packing or the airlines will jack you another $50 for being overweight.

wine can partially freeze, expand and break. especially the fizzy ones. on two separate occasions we had bottles of Asti break, even though we had bubble wrap and wrapped in towels. why not just stop at a liquor store when you get to you embarkation port?

I wouldn't worry too much- I just travelled from Australia with three bottles of sparkling wine in my checked luggage, all of which survived the 19 hours of flight and stopover at LAX. What I did was wrap each bottle in a plastic bag (just in case there was breakage, to try to minimise leaking) and then two layers of clothing per bottle, put it in the middle of my bag, and fluttered my eyelashes at the counter clerk and asked for a "fragile" tag. So it is totally doable.

wine can partially freeze, expand and break. especially the fizzy ones. on two separate occasions we had bottles of Asti break, even though we had bubble wrap and wrapped in towels. why not just stop at a liquor store when you get to you embarkation port?

The only reason I can't buy it at port is we get in late the night before the cruise and the cruise leaves on a Sunday morning. I don't know if the stores in Florida can sell liquor before noon on Sunday.

Our flight is only 2.5 hours from Baltimore to FLL

Thanks, al!

We were actually on a flight once where there was a champagne "incident" in the hold. Several bottles exploded. Can't remember a lot of details, but it caused quite a stir onboard. I would think that the airline would tell you whether they can be checked or not, but we often check non-sparkling wines. Just remember the change in air pressure up there. If you have ever had a bottle of water in the pressurized cabin, you could see what happens to it on ascent and descent. Even though cargo holds are usually pressurized, there is a lot of air in sparkling wine and I can't imagine what might happen.

Can't remember the liquor laws in FL. Any Floridians or people who have cruised out of your port out there who can help? You might want to look at the Departure Ports board, I got info about liquor stores in Vancouver there.

Robin

I have never tried it with champagne, but my husband and I both brought home 4 bottles of wine each home from New Zealand. I flew back via Australia and they survived changing planes 4 times. I wrapped them in newspaper, towels and put them in the middle of my clothing when I repacked my suitcase. They are all now aging very nicely in our wine cooler in the basement!:D

Get to the airport early. Go to the sounthwest ticket counter and pay $5 for their alcohol box. Put your wine inside the box and then put in in your luggage. Be happy :)

Here is SW's instructions for flying with alcohol. It makes mention of the packaging you can buy. I hear you don't have to be on Southwest to get it (read it on the WashingtonPost.com travel chat on Monday)

http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/alcohol.html

I've often wondering about the theory of wrapping the wine bottles in plastic bags "in case of breakage." If your wine bottle breaks, wouldn't the broken glass rip through the plastic bag? I'm assuming just your average ziploc, not a tyvek bag or anything.

In FLL liquor stores don't open until noon on Sunday from my experieince. There is a Crown Liquor store very near the port. Its directly across from the Embassy Suites on 17th Street. You're taxi driver would be more than happy to stop their on the way to the port (since his meter still ticks with the motor off).

In FLL liquor stores don't open until noon on Sunday from my experieince. There is a Crown Liquor store very near the port. Its directly across from the Embassy Suites on 17th Street. You're taxi driver would be more than happy to stop their on the way to the port (since his meter still ticks with the motor off).

Don't they sell wine in almost every drug store or supermarket in FL, No need for a liquor store.

Miami-Dade County liquor stores may operate 24 hours a day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States_by_state

Don't they sell wine in almost every drug store or supermarket in FL, No need for a liquor store.

Thnaks for all your help! We get into Miami about 10:30 pm- I will probably get up and out of our hotel or have he cab driver stop. We live in Pennsylvania where hte liquor laws are totally archaic. I appreciate not having to pack my Cliquot!

HAppy, blssed Thaksgiving!

You're probably right now that I think about it. If I remember there is a grocery store right behind the Embassy now (used to be across the street but I think it got tore down).

However, what type of wine selection they have is probably limitted and the OP asked for a distinct brand. Crown liquor doesn't open up until noon but I'm reasonably sure they would have the wine the OP requested.

Well, I'm going to find out how it works as I've purchased a very specific bottle (Marguet Pere et Fils rose sparkling wine) that I'm not sure I could find all that easily with my limited time pre-cruise in Miami. I'll pack the bottle the same way I do our disinfecting solutions when we go on mission. First the bottle (maybe even heavily duct taped around the cork), wrapped in layers of papertoweling and/or towels, then inside at least one of the oversize ziploc bags, maybe two with more towels around the first one.

I will be severely disappointed if we find an empty bottle of bubbly when we get to Miami, but I'm at least going to do all I can not to have a sticky bag of clothes. I'll let you all know how it turns out when we get home.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

ee

Well, I'm going to find out how it works as I've purchased a very specific bottle (Marguet Pere et Fils rose sparkling wine) that I'm not sure I could find all that easily with my limited time pre-cruise in Miami. I'll pack the bottle the same way I do our disinfecting solutions when we go on mission. First the bottle (maybe even heavily duct taped around the cork), wrapped in layers of papertoweling and/or towels, then inside at least one of the oversize ziploc bags, maybe two with more towels around the first one.

I will be severely disappointed if we find an empty bottle of bubbly when we get to Miami, but I'm at least going to do all I can not to have a sticky bag of clothes. I'll let you all know how it turns out when we get home.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

ee

ee, I certainly will be disappointed as well after spending time on Google finding the wine for you.

Didn't they ship the stuff in something you can reuse?

Again, bubble wrap it and then instead of a zip lock use a big garbage bag. You can double wrap it (make a twist in the middle). Also, the garbage bag for has always had a second purpose. Great thing to put dirty clothes into.

Have a great cruise.

George and MaryBeth

Thank you again for finding that wine for me!! I don't know why the California company wouldn't ship it last summer, but Binns sure did! As for the original packing, I bought two bottles and only plan on taking one (haven't even opened it yet, I've got it hidden away at my office so I can surprise, Hubby) so I'm not sure whether it will help or not. The oversize ziplocs have worked well for me in the past, but I'll do a garbage bag around it, too. Better safe than sorry!

ee

I just went to wine.com. For the price of 2 bottles of my champagne on board I ordered 3 bottles of my champagne, and 3 bottles of wine for hubby. Even with the corkacae fee the savings is huge. Had it shipped to my hotel in Miami 5 days befroe we arrive ( we used to do this a lot when all 3 kiddies were in diapers- would have drugstore.com ship diapers, wipes, baby food- the whole thing!)

Cleared it with Doubletree first- the wine was cheaper at this website than at our Government controlled liquor store.

Now I don't have to worry about bubble wrap and breakage and heavy bags and and and....

Thanks, all and all His blessings to you on this Thanksgiving day!

Hi- I will pay corkage fee, this is not a smuggling question...

We pay 40 dollars for Vueve Cliquot here. It is 78 dollars plus 15% on the ship.

I may be a dope- can you pack champagne in checked luggage to fly or is there a pressure problem?

Thanks

Mike's wife;)

WOW! Only $40 for a bottle of Veuve ... I wish I lived in Pennsylvania!

Even if the grocery stores or drugstores are open, they cannot legally sell you any liquor until 12 noon on a Sunday in Florida.

this is true except in Miami-Dade county. One of the wonderful posters sent me to a website and I even called the Publix market near Biscayne- they start selling wine and beer at 7am in Miami- Dade.

Don't know why this is , but cool! I am still ordering from wine .com. Vueve Cliquot-39.00!!!

Better than our state liquor authority!

Mike

Here is some info I found for you...

Florida - Sales is not controlled by the state. State law prohibits on/off-premise sale between 1 A.M and 7 A.M. unless the county decides to change the operating hours. For example Miami-Dade County liquor stores may operate 24 hours a day. Beer, wine, and low alcohol liquors can be purchased at grocery stores. Spirits greater than 76.5% ABV are illegal.

Only adults 21 or older may legally purchase or consume alcohol in the state of Florida. Minors are usually permitted in bars, as long as the bars also serve food. Liquor laws are strictly enforced; if you look young, carry identification. Beer and wine are sold in most supermarkets and convenience stores. The city of Miami's liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Liquor stores in the city of Miami Beach are open daily.

Things may have changed, but there may also be a ban on Sunday morning sales in Coral Gables.

You should be able to find an open liquor store on your way in, or on Sunday morning. Publix is a popular Florida grocery store and they typically have a decent selection of wine and champagne. You can also look for Fresh Market, they don't typically have more than Publix, they do often have some of the more expensive stuff.

If you're in a cab, your driver should be able to help you. Just be careful of what you are doing out late on a Saturday night. Your hotel might also be able to direct you to something close.

Something else that might be helpful.... wine skins. They are bubble wrap, double seal bags to pack your wine in. I've just ordered some, but haven't used them yet. I found them cheapest at www.solutions.com

look for "wine skins" (travel bags for wine)should be 8.95 ea set of 3 bags. There was a code for a 20% discount... 20KITCHEN

Archived