Viking Sun on Rhine River

pewpp

We traveled with Viking to China in May and loved it so much that we booked a European Rhine River cruise in Nov 08. Compared to China, the Rhine River cruise was disappointing. :(

The half day (3-4 hours)tours at each port were lacking in content. There was way too much free time.

The tour director was unprofessional in appearance and demeanor.

The entertainment was amateurish - particularly compared to the exquisite tours and shows in China.

Preventive sanitation was below expectations. There was only one hand sanitizer on the ship and guests were not pushed to use it. One guest came on the cruise with an upper resp infection and many passengers got to share in her misery - we are still recovering a week after returning. Many cruise ships have staff serving from the buffet to decrease cross contamination - perhaps Viking should consider this.

It appeared that dining staff shortages existed because the service was significantly less than the China experience.

If I were to summarize my Rhine River cruise experience, I would call it BORING. If I did this cruise before China I may have experienced it differently yet I don't think so.

Last year we went on the Grand European and while we felt we saw one church too many, really enjoyed ourselves. This year went on the China trip. Enjoyed both, appreciated the 'down time' on the European trip quite a bit. Didn't really enjoy the constant 'go,go,go' of China. The service was better on the China trip, but nothing to really complain about but we thought the food was far superior on the European trip-but I have the attitude while on a cruise, not there for 'fine' dining. Had good and bad guides on both trips. Really appreciated the head sets we used in China, wish Viking would do that on all their trips (perhaps they are by now). While the boat was nicer on the China trip (?newer), prefered the room layout so much more on the European trip (minus the tiny bathroom). I have no plans to go back to China but would repeat the European trip in a heartbeat minus the tours, would just go into those darling little villages and walk around and soak in the culture.

I guess, each to their own.

Yes, you can skip the excursions. We found in China, our guide, David, made a big deal about us not going and wished we would of stood firm.

My husband and I did the optional tour in Nuremberg and found it really interesting, our local guide we had was terrible and could of done without her though.. The really great thing with the European tours is that if you wanted to wander away, you could, not a problem.

If either of you have any questions, feel free to email- dpump@aol.com

We just got home from being on the 2 wk 11/16-11/30 cruise from Antwerp to Basel on Viking Sun and we found absolutely NOTHING to criticize!! True, this was our 1st riverboat trip, but we liked EVERYTHING -- all the included tours, the staff, the food, the other people on the ship, using the listening devices, the buses, the ship's layout, the cities & towns, everything!!!

Kay...

You've been on a lot of cruises.

Would you say your Viking River trip was as good/better than a cruise ship on ocean? Did you find it hard to find a seat at dinner? I heard people clique up and save tables or something. False?

ndjollymon-

No trouble finding any seats at dinner and really didn't notice any cliques. There are some that do that, but they are the minority. I will say, on our Grand European trip, we changed tables all the time and on our China trip, stayed at the same table, and prefered that. The servers got to know us and we got to know them. Wouldn't matter to me on my next trip which way we did it/same table, different table each meal. I will say, being such a small group that Viking has, everyone is very friendly and helpful.

I prefer the smaller boats than large multi floating cruise ships now. I don't need to be entertained all the time, enjoy the quiet and don't need the 'fancy'. There are folks who prefer it, so I just think it's a matter of what you want.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks...that relaxes me a bit! I'll be a first time river cruiser on the brand new Viking Legend - Grand European Tour this summer.

Dpump...did you write a review or post pics anywhere on the net?

we do the grand euro tour on legend in june..we cant waite..hope the legend is ready to go

we were wondering if there will be wifi on legend??

dean & alice

Just checked Viking site...(news)

--------------

Free Wireless Internet

New For 2009, all Viking ships in Europe will have free ship-wide wireless Internet access. And in Russia and China, we have an internet café with computers for your use at a nominal fee.

------------

Looks like the Legend has a computer station in the lobby...as wel as wi-fi. :)

I just bought a very good book online called:

GREAT RIVER CRUISES: EUROPE AND THE NILE

by Insight Guides/Discovery Channel.

Very good pics, maps, info on river cruising and the areas in Europe we will travel. There is real good info in the guide we can use. I recommend it highly...and I haven't finished reading yet.

You may find it online or local bookstores.

We have only cruise ocean ships as well...but are REALLY excited about this one!

• 2 weeks later...
I just bought a very good book online called:

GREAT RIVER CRUISES: EUROPE AND THE NILE

by Insight Guides/Discovery Channel.

Very good pics, maps, info on river cruising and the areas in Europe we will travel. There is real good info in the guide we can use. I recommend it highly...and I haven't finished reading yet.

You may find it online or local bookstores.

Your library may carry it, too. The only problem, which may not matter to many, is that it has not come out in a revised edition since it's first published date of June, 2006. Considering that publisher's dates are usually much later than research was done, the guide won't have significant information for new riverboats or new riverboat lines since 2005.

Your library may carry it, too. The only problem, which may not matter to many, is that it has not come out in a revised edition since it's first published date of June, 2006. Considering that publisher's dates are usually much later than research was done, the guide won't have significant information for new riverboats or new riverboat lines since 2005.

I think the last date in my book says 2008.

• 6 months later...

Archived