San Francisco in January. What to do?

jane02

Hi,

Following our Carribbean cruise we are spending 3 nights in S.F before flying home. We have three kids - 18, 20, & 21 and was wondering what we should do whilst we are there.

Will it be very cold? If so - how cold. I am getting my case out this weekend to begin packing so I am wondering about how much space to leave for the winter woollies.:confused:

Thanks

Kellie

What one does depends on whether you are lucky to have the days without rain. It can rain quite a bit then so have some rain gear. Daytime temps will be around 55F, nighttime around 45F. But it can be windy.

Post whereabouts (general location) where you expect to stay -- e.g. fisherman's wharf, union square, etc. Then you will receive suggestions for nearby activities and public transit to other spots.

While colder in the winter, San Francisco is nearly always a cool area, and what you do does not change much seasonally. Definitely bring rain gear (we can hope for a wet winter!) and include a sturdy rain slicker which you can wear as a regular coat. A hat is a good idea, as are some gloves for the evening.

What to do:

Go to the Ferry Building for lunch and a little local food shopping.

Visit the newly re-opened California Academy of Sciences (and see the rest of Golden Gate Park).

Eat in Chinatown.

Eat in North Beach (Italian).

Take a cable car ride (try the California line as it is less crowded).

Rent a car or take a tour to Muir Woods (this will also take you across the Golden Gate Bridge).

Visit Fisherman's Wharf (but avoid eating there).

Climb to the top of Coit Tower.

Walk down Lombard Street.

Take in a play or concert if possible.

Take an Alcatraz tour.

Visit Fort Point (amazing views of the Golden Gate from here).

I will respond by categories to avoid overlap with others.

This website has reviews and a link to the hotel website.

The hotel website has a good location map.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/st-regis-hotel-san-francisco

Tourist Center / Muni Pass.

You are very well located. Depending on the time you check-in and energy you have, walk 2 blocks to Hallidie Plaza (5thSt. & Market). There is a large Tourist Information Center there. Decide whether you wish to buy a Muni 1-day or 3-day pass from there or pay as you go. Each Muni trip costs $1.50 (exact amount needed) and the driver gives you a transfer valid for roughly 2 hours for any trips within that time. But the Muni Pass is a good deal.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

Cable Car:

At the Hallidie Plaza is also the boarding for the Cable Car. If the line is not long you can hop on it. Fare for cable car is $5 each way but one of the Muni passes includes cable car rides. Try to catch the Powell / Hyde (wait for it) and not Powell / Mason.

(To be continued)

Hallidie Plaza -- The Tourist Information is below the plaza. Take the stairs to go down.

Cable Cars: Both Powell / Hyde & Powell / Mason start at the plaza but end up in different locations. The back and front of the cable car shows which line it is.

Day 1:

Cable Car to Hyde. Cable Car ends at Buena Vista Cafe -- world famous for Irish Coffee. Just go in -- look around and have plain coffee and use Restrooms. Buena Vista Cafe is the boy meet girl place for young tourist. If there are interesting Ozzies -- exchange phone numbers.

Ghiradelli Square: Facing the water if you go left, you will come to Ghiradelli Square. Ice Cream Parlor (always a line for even take-away). On the Second Floor there are clean Restrooms. There is an info Kiosk. Tourist shops.

Fisherman's Wharf: Walk back toward Buena Vista. Go "down" one block and keep walking. You will come to Fisherman's Wharf. The Walk-Away Crabs on the street are the best. Some Restaurants are expensive even for lunch. Buy something from McDonalds to use their Restroom if needed.

Pier 39: Keep Walking and you will come to Pier 39. Go to the end of the the Pier 39 plaza to see the seals. Restaurants are over-priced. But again there are free outside Restrooms at Pier 39.

F-Line: When you are done, take the F-Line Street Car from across Pier 39.

That will take you back to Market and 3rd -- a block from your hotel. But if you have energy, break your trip at the Ferry Bldg. , scout around for potential dinner places there. Good Restrooms at Ferry Bldg.Then board the F-Line again to Market and 3rd.

Day 2:

Chinatown: Take one of the buses (may be crowded) from 3rd St. and get off at Chinatown and wander around Chinatown and North Beach (Italian Restaurants).

Union Square -- walking distance from hotel. High End Boutique stores plus Macys.

Dinner:

Very High End ($80 - $100 pp with wine, tax and tip):

Michael Mina's at St. Francis Hotel

Boulevard near Ferry Building

Aqua (sea food) at California St.

More Moderate but good: Slanted Door at Ferry Bldg. French Vietnamese

All four are relatively close to your hotel but you may have to take a cab instead of public transit.

Inexpensive: Mel's Diner (at the Ground Floor of the Parking Garage on 4th & Mission). One block from your hotel.

Inexpensive: Any Ethnic Restaurants anywhere -- Chinese, Thai.

Fast Food: Lots of Pizza places and McDonalds near your Hotel on Market Street.

Golden Gate Bridge: Difficult to get there by public transit. There are Hop On / Hop Off Buses from Fisherman's Wharf around $25 pp.

Crookedest Street: (Lombard St.) One of the cable cars goes by the top (beginning). Get off and you can walk down the Crookedest St.

Out of Town: Wine Country (Napa Sonoma). Big Sur & Carmel. Only by car or Tours.

P.S. I was a single parent part of my earlier days -- I was planning to write a Parent Guide to Restrooms in SF!

Sulton sfo,

A big thank you for the very helpful and wonderful information you provided to the op. My husband and I will be doing a 3 day precruise stay in March'09. Very much appreciated all the excellent tips this forum have provided.

Margaret

First, per Herb Caen (some of the oldsters here might remember the SF columnist), says we can call it Frisco if we live/lived there. You (grin) can't get away with that!

Weather - it will be more damp than cold.

Alcatraz-the last "dusk" tour is the best (IMO) - far, far, far less people and it's very eerie because it will get dark as you climb up the grounds and tour the prison. And, beautiful trip across the bay in the sunlight and totally different as you sail back at dark.

Golden Gate Park - also visit the Japanese Tea House & Garden, weather permitting

Horseback riide - might be seasonal, not sure - if it's not raining or too cold

Stowe Lake - seasonal??? used to do this with my aunt/uncle every spring as a child

Zoo - possibly - not the world's greatest but still fun

cliff House - fun for breakfast or brunch - you can see the seals from there...great old SF pics on the wall

Union Street - lots of trendy boutiques and interesting restaurants (not Union Square which is downtown...this is in another neighborhood

Fisherman's Wharf - be sure to enjoy a shrimp or crab cocktail

North Beach - Walk thru the beautiful St. Peter & Paul's Church - my parents got married there 60 years ago - 800 guests. Their pictures of them leaving the church and mingling with guests looks like a parade is going on. Also the fagase (probably mispelled) is wonderful and you can probably get sandwiches made with delicious Italian cold cuts at the delis. Victoria's Bakery is also wonderful I think Molinari's has the best fagase (foccaio) - my family always buys it. Have to get it early in the day because once it's gone, it's gone.

Coit Tower - Interesting paintings inside.

Palace of Fine Arts - down "below" what used to be the Presidio, SF Army base - it's been turned into a residential area and I'm not sure what it's called. The Palace of Fine Arts is a great place to walk thru, watch the ducks and enjoy the lawn if the weather is good. I used to go on annual field trips (with my grammer school) there as a kid.

Chestnut Street in the Marina district is another area with some shops, restaurants, etc.

Clay & maybe Sacramento street has very reasonably priced restaurants.

Nordstom's downtown is an interesting store - originally built at the Cityof Paris, they have maintained the open "atriim" like area which extends up through all 4 (or 5) floors. It's here they put the annual christmas tree - I used to watch it being put up the night before Thanksgiving - they would have to take the doors off to get the tree inside - we know the tree provider (or, at least one of them) because we used to sells Christmas trees at our flower shop in the Marina District - corner of Divisadero/Lomnard - Buffalo Wings is there now.

Walk through China Town...tour Old St. Mary's - red brick Catholic church

Check out St. Mary's Cathedral - personally, not my favorite because it's so modern but it is a beautfiul building - I just don't care for it as a church. Then went very modern when the original church burnt down. (on Van Ness)

Walk thru Grace Cathedral (on Van Ness)

Caeser's Restaurant - Bay & Powell is very good...also very noisy at night. Plan on a wait. I doubt that Ed the bartender is still there but A1 is Casera cera (Doris Day singing) and the other one we played all the time was Mr. Paganini - wonder what my name is now????)

Top of the BA (Bank of America) building - 52 stories up and worth having a drink, especially at sunset - guys might have to wear coat/tie (used to have to do so????). Showing my vintage again - Towering Inferno (anyone remember that with Fred Astair, Faye Dunaway...) was in part filmed from there. If you don't want a drink they will let you walk through the bar. Restaurant is excellent -altho I've only attended private functions there...but pricey.

Ferry to Sausalito - then you can walk to trendy shops and great restaurants. (Sometimes very windy)

Hope this helps.

Have a great time in my old hometown.

Below is part of the story in today's (Nov. 30, 2008) SF Chronicle! For the full article go to:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/30/MNE614C35Q.DTL

Enjoy!

Here is Jack Shelton's schedule, circa 1961, for "One Perfect Day in San Francisco."

9:30 a.m. Take Hyde Street cable car at Powell and Market streets in front of Woolworth's.

10:00 a.m. Get off cable car at last stop and have breakfast at the Buena Vista Cafe.

11:00 a.m. Stroll down to Aquatic Park and see the Golden Gate Bridge; also stop at the Maritime Museum, if you wish.

11:45 a.m. Take Powell Street cable car. Get off at Pacific Avenue to visit Chinatown.

Noon to 1:45 p.m. Stay in Chinatown for a budget luncheon or stroll into the Garden Court of the Sheraton-Palace for a more luxurious one. Either way, stop at Union Square and the famous shops.

2:00 p.m. Pick up your rental car or Gray Line Tour.

2:15 p.m. If renting a car, drive the 49-Mile Drive.

5:00 p.m. Hotel for quick change.

5:15 p.m. Cocktails at Top of The Mark.

6:00 p.m. Stroll around Nob Hill.

7:00 p.m. Dinner at Trader Vic's or House of Prime Rib.

10:00 p.m. hungry i, possibly some other nightclubs, Beatnik Land and the North Beach art shops.

12:00 Midnight. Snack at Enrico's.

1:00 a.m. A goodnight view of San Francisco from the base of Coit Tower.

The bottom line, ..............................then ............and................................now

Cable car fare ..................................15 cents.............................................$5

Gray Line city bus tour.........................$3.65..............................................$41

Lunch at Garden Court, Palace Hotel"Expensive. Lunch has no trouble reaching...........five dollars per person."

San Francisco crab chowder and Steak "Oscar" Moderne ("chef's signature")...............$40

Taxi fares"Just getting into one costs 50 cents......................"First one-fifth of a mile.......$3.10

California Academy of Sciences Planetarium charged 75 cents.... for adult admissi............. $24.95 for adults

Dinner, House of Prime Rib"Dinner under..........$5................"Prime rib and pecan pie.........$44.85

Fairmont Hotel Quoted rates start at...............$16...............Quoted rates start at.............$199

Hello,

In the Fisherman's Wharf area there is an In and Out Burger restaurant which is really a Southern California chain of renown for its fresh food and very good prices (especially for San Francisco). The menu is limited but this is the best place i can thionk of for teens.

The Buena Vista at North Point and Hyde is also a restaurant and especailly for breakfast. While it is fun to share tables with tourists and locals in the big room, there is a back room where it is more private and less noisy.

If you do get a nice day let the kids go bicycle riding in Golden Gate Park. Bikes can be rented on Stanyan Street

You should consider renting a car (but parking can be very expensive where you are staying so find out in advance the reasonably priced parking garages). There is a Safeway Super market in the Marina which has everything you need for a picnic and has everything else.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Thanks for the link. I was thrilled to see that Dame Edna Everidge is performing. We are huge fans and have seen him/her many times. Also my favorite (but sadly no one elses in my family) Phantom of the Opera is also playing.

Thanks again

First, per Herb Caen (some of the oldsters here might remember the SF columnist), says we can call it Frisco if we live/lived there. You (grin) can't get away with that!

Weather - it will be more damp than cold...

Walk through China Town...tour Old St. Mary's - red brick Catholic church

Check out St. Mary's Cathedral - personally, not my favorite because it's so modern but it is a beautiful building - I just don't care for it as a church. Then went very modern when the original church burnt down. (on Van Ness)

Walk thru Grace Cathedral (on Van Ness)

...Have a great time in my old hometown.

Grace Cathedral is actually on California Street -a great reason to take the California St Cable Car up to the top of Nob Hill. Grace Cathedral, The Mark Hopkins Hotel and the Fairmont Hotel are all within a short couple of blocks of each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go down to valencia street between 16th and 24th--very lively young adult scene...

go out to the avenues--like clement street and 2nd and eat ethnic food (just walk down the block --will have 20 good choices..).

go to the academy of sciences. or museum mechanique--at fisherman's wharf--next to the submarine--that's fun too.

take the ferry to angel island with a picnic--limited food available there.

it can be cold and rainy in jan--but can also be 80 degrees.

my own teens think pier 39 and fisherman's wharf are a waste of time--they would rather go to the asian art museum or the cartoon museum (downtown) or to zeum (downtown.

There are tons of ideas on here- you're sure to find some wonderful activities here!

I just have to disagree with one post...I would NOT rent a car in San Franciso. Having grown up in the Bay Area and driven to SF many, many times, I can tell you it's not a visitor-friendly place to drive. It's confusing for 1, and everyone's in a hurry- which doesn't help. Decide what you want to do and take public transportation- or a cab.

Hello Kellie,

I have read all the posts so far and noticed that our favorite place was missing. We are originally from the Bay Area and have really enjoyed reading all the suggestions of places to visit.

We LOVE..... The Exploratorium. It is a hands on, for adults and kids science museum with so many things to do and explore. It has a Seismometer which is an earth movement detector. There is also a Sensory Deprivation Room which you feel your way through...so much fun. Reservations are needed for it ahead of time though and it is a bit extra from the entrance fee.

Overall the Exploratorium is a nice place to get out of the weather and really have a lot of fun poking around! Check out their website.

Exploratorium

at the Palace of Fine Arts

3601 Lyon Street

San Francisco, CA 94123

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

Also at Golden Gate Park.......

De Young Memorial Museum

50 Tea Garden Drive

San Francisco, CA 94118

415-750-3600

http://www.famsf.org/deyoung/

Cable Car Ride is a MUST. and please do try the San Francisco Sour Dough Bread. We have a co-worker that visits family a couple times a year and we have him bring us back a few loaves... Wine, cheese, sourdough bread, fog, city lights, sea air....ahhhh!

You will have a wonderful time no matter what you decide to do.

Lin & Vince

Agree that a rental car is NOT a good idea to get around in San Francisco. You can get around better with a combination of walking, cabs, and public transportation. My top choices would be Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf (grab a shrimp po' boy) and take lots of pictures of the little shrimp(?) boats, Ghirardelli Square (Buena Vista Hotel), dimsum in Chinatown, and a cable car ride. We were there one January and lucked out on weather. You will love it!

Hello - thanks for your suggestions. We are currently in beautiful San Francisco and I have to say that it is my favourite city in the USA. The weather was fabulous today so we had a great time walking around Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. Ate at Boulevard tonight and tomorrow plan to cycle over the bridge and catch the ferry back.

The Exploratorium may be the way to go on Monday.

I just wanted to add that the people here are delightful.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived