carnival spirit ports in January

ehogan

we are taking a Carnival Spirit cruise out of San Diego in January and I am unfamiliar with the ports. Could anyone tell me the following:

Ports of Manzanilla, Ixtapa and Acupulco: are any of these tender ports?

What do you recommend for activities while in those ports - I have looked at the shore excursions and none are too appealing except for the "turtle farm and release" one in Acapulco (is this any good?)

We are not really beach actiivity people unless the beach is too gorgeous to miss.

What about day use resorts?

We do like to wander around the town, but am concerned about safety in Acupulco.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.

we are taking a Carnival Spirit cruise out of San Diego in January and I am unfamiliar with the ports. Could anyone tell me the following:

Ports of Manzanilla, Ixtapa and Acupulco: are any of these tender ports?

What do you recommend for activities while in those ports - I have looked at the shore excursions and none are too appealing except for the "turtle farm and release" one in Acapulco (is this any good?)

We are not really beach actiivity people unless the beach is too gorgeous to miss.

What about day use resorts?

We do like to wander around the town, but am concerned about safety in Acupulco.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hey when you going??...We are on the Jan 23rd cruise.....and i agree does not look alot of excursions offered....We are looking at the Turtles also...They had the Turtles in Manzaillo in the years past and my DB was looking forward to doing it again...he called Carnival and asked about it and they told him that some of the contracts are not finalized yet and will be by Dec 1st.....so check again later maybe there will be more places added....

Ixtapa is the only tender port...

This will be my first trip there also ..so the rest of your questions i will have to defer to the experts....

Be careful in Acapulco. It is very hectic. Little children everywhere, climbing on you, Literally! We hired a van for the day. Stay in a group.

Candi

Thats the one thing i found disturbing in Cabo.......I was hoping Acapulco would be better....oh well.. :(

We have done this run on the Spirit 3 years strait. For us it is a great ship with different ports. I am planning a January 09 run on the Spirit again.

Acapulco is a beautiful view as you slowly enter the bay in the early afternoon, and there it ends. Take a pleasant tour "OUT OF TOWN". Leave and return to the ship. The cliff divers is better left for others. I heard of a group of 8 jumping into a nice a/c'd van and having a great time for minimal $$. I may try that next time.

Zihua/Ixtapa is the only tender. Zihua is a beautiful little bay. Ixtapa is nearby long stretch of sand with high rise hotels. We always rent a scooter. Everyone loves the beauty and small quaint village ambiance. Best port, by far! A margarita and chip/dip on the beachfront boardwalk near the tender pier after a tour, and perhaps some gift shopping is best done here. Pic of Zihua & Spirit below

STP61894.jpg

Manzanillo. Nothing is nice about this industrial port. The last time we ended up having fun cooking fish & drinking beer with the crew at a palapa bar walking distance from the ship. Las Hadas ia a "has Been". Take a pleasant Canival tour OUT OF TOWN. Leave and return to ship. Avoid cruise port cheap bus to the shopping district.

We have many cruise ships in SoCal, and only this one does this run. Most other week long do Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, & Mazatlan. There's a reason for this

Archived