NCL Jewel/LOVE or HATE it????

tokidoki

:confused::(:confused::( Is it just me or does anyone else feel that so many cruisers take the same NCL cruise and one person hates it and the other loved it?? I just read 2 member reviews and they experienced 2 different trips and I am taking the 5 night trip in 50 days and I hope to LOVE it!!!

• Administrators
:confused::(:confused::( Is it just me or does anyone else feel that so many cruisers take the same NCL cruise and one person hates it and the other loved it?? I just read 2 member reviews and they experienced 2 different trips and I am taking the 5 night trip in 50 days and I hope to LOVE it!!!

Well, I don't think this is specific to the Jewel, or to NCL. :)

I think a great cruise is 90% up to me, and about 10% up to the ship, crew, itinerary, weather, etc. Funnily enough, I've never had anything less than a great cruise. Self-fulfilling prophecy? :)

Well, I don't think this is specific to the Jewel, or to NCL. :)

I think a great cruise is 90% up to me, and about 10% up to the ship, crew, itinerary, weather, etc. Funnily enough, I've never had anything less than a great cruise. Self-fulfilling prophecy? :)

Agree 100% ! All my cruises have been great too. I was on the Jewel 2 times in the past 11 months and even though they were very different... different itinerary, different crew, we had a great time both times. One better than the other but still enjoyed both!

Go with the right attitude and you will love the Jewel! She is a fabulous ship and all the ingredients are there for one to have a great time! Enjoy your cruise!

Couldn't agree more with the above posters. The Jewel is a beautiful ship but if you want to find a reason to have a bad time I'm sure you can. I've been on more than 40 cruises and have loved every one of them. There is enough information and experienced cruisers on this board alone to answer any question you have. Don't be afraid to have a good time.

Just to add my 2 cents,

DH and I neither loved or hated the Jewel.

I liked it better than he did (he liked our Royal Caribbean cruise last year better). But he enjoyed himself.

We had a good time, but will probably book our next cruise on another cruise line to continue to try new cruise lines. I've done Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL now, so I would like to try Holland America, Princess, or Celebrity next. I went on Princess when I was only 12 years old so I'm sure a lot has changed.

And I think the Jewel was a beautiful ship... I believe it probably represented NCL well. NCL is offering its cruises very cheap right now and something's gotta give. I believe the cut-backs were in the quality of the food.

Anyway you look at it, I love cruising!

I have given NCL 2 tries and simply have not been happy with either cruise in comparision to the other lines. So they are scratched off my list for now, unless I read and see that things get better. I also had to scratch X off my list because they don't allow smoking on the balconies. At least NCL still allows that.

NCL seems to be one of those cruise lines where people indeed either "love" or "hate" it, and are adamant about their positions! :D

I enjoyed my cruise on the Jewel...but I'm one of those who is willing to cruise almost anywhere on any ship so long as someone feeds me, cleans up after me, entertains me when I choose to be entertained...so that pretty much covers all the lines..

There were things about the Jewel I didn't like...just as there were things about Princess and Carnival. But overall it was a very pleasant experience.

The Jewel was our 1st cruise so I have nothing to compare it to but for my 2 cents we loved it. We enjoy the whole freestyle concept and thats why we are now headed to the Pearl. Will we ever try another cruise line, maybe, right now we are loyal NCL'ers

I agree with the above posters attitude has alot to do with the experience.

We often cruise with 3 couples and have been on NCL, Celebrity and Carnival. One couple puts NCL last, another puts NCL about even (plus and minus for each) and DH and I love NCL the best.

So we have 3 couples, on the same ships together with 3 different opinions. The 2 other couples will cruise on Princess next year (without us) so it will be interesting to get their opinions.

We will be on the Jewel next March and we'll be able to compare with the Dawn which we have been on 4 times, and absolutely love. I know we will love the aft outdoor upper deck that the Jewel has (PoAm has this) and the Dawn does not.

This ship is your decision to enjoy. We were on the 11/14 nine day and absolutely loved it! What made it enjoyable to us is not having to do anything except our own thing! We ate when we chose and in the restaurant we chose with zero wait time! (the secret to this is to eat after the first show in the Stardust, all of the early diners have already eaten and you will have free choices) It is up to you to enjoy the ship. No one leads you around or heards everyone like cattle as on other lines. Have fun, read your freestyle daily every night and have fun! I said on another post, NCL treats you as the intelligent beings that you are and allows you to make your entertaiment and dining choices! :D

I think NCL operates differently than most lines--not better or worse, just different. Their logo of many fish swimming one way and one going against the flow sums it up. Some love it, some hate it. You need to go in with an open mind and decide for yourself.

I too am amazed when I read the ship review section and one says "Best cruise ever" and the next says "Never again". There do not seem to be many middle of the roaders on NCL.

My cruise on the Jewel was the worst I've ever been on. However, I'm not writing off NCL totally. I'm willing to accept the fact that it may have just been an "off" cruise...

Cammie, I was on the same cruise as you and although I did not enjoy it as much as my cruise on the Jewel last November, it was still a good cruise. What did you not like?

My cruise on the Jewel last November is one of my top 3 out of 20 cruises I have taken so it was a tough act to beat.:p

My cruise on the Jewel was the worst I've ever been on. However, I'm not writing off NCL totally. I'm willing to accept the fact that it may have just been an "off" cruise...

I believe you need to try each line at least twice before writing them off. I did try NCL 2 times and dissliked it both times, so it's a no brainer for me. Many of you are right people either love it or hate it. I was the latter. So I do hope you enjoy and like it. Have a great cruise.

The cruise is what you make of it. We've tried RCCL & NCL and enjoyed them both. Sailed the Jewel 3 times and enjoyed every cruise. Find the roll call for your cruise and join it as making friends before the cruise and enjoying time on the cruise with the groups is part of the fun. Make it what you want it!

Loved it!

Archived