Snorkeling in Aruba

bobnatt

Another source of great info is a site that you'll find if you search "shore diving the ABC islands" - we used the info we got there when we rented a car for the day on Aruba and hit some GREAT shore snorkeling spots.

Gene

I read shore diving and was somewhat surprised by the number of reviews that mentioned thugs breaking into their cars and/or trying to mug them!

Arubalisa is this a pretty common thing on the island? Hawaii also has that reputation of robbing cars in beach parking lots.

I did take your recommendation and have a car reserved with Amigo who said they'd meet us at the dock.

Bobnatt-

Looking forward to hearing about the snorkeling after your trip in January. We will be there on a cruise in mid-February and was also wanting to know about Boca Catalina. Have also heard that Arashi and Malmok is also good, but wondered if one of the three was better than the other. Please post a report on the snorkeling there when you return. Have a safe and wonderful time in Aruba!! We have been there several times before but have never snorkeled there and want to do that this time.

Arubalisa- Any info will also be appreciated. We want an area with lots of fish and coral and good visibility so that we can take underwater photos. Usually shallow areas and shore snorkeling is better for than than snorkeling from a boat where it is deeper and less visibility. Also, do you know how deep the wreck of the Antilla is? Wondering the same because of wanting to take photos. I know we would have to take a boat excursion to get out to the wreck, but wondering how deep it was and how the visiblity is.

Thanks in advance for any info!!

"one week land vacation in Aruba in January..."

We highly recommend that you go out with Jolly Pirates at least one of your days on Aruba. We did their "Sail, Snorkle, Swim and Swing" and had a ball! Great fun, open bar, not bad lunch, and loads of fun in the water...

The safest, most easily accessible snorkeling areas from shore imo are:

Catalina Cove

Boca Catalina

Malmok Beach

The entry is MUCH easier at BC :), and then you can swim along the rocky coast northward towards CC. There are more critters up towards this end and shallow enough for photos.

boca_catalina_sm.jpg Boca Catalina facing north to Catalina Cove

click on thumbnail to enlarge

What type of camera? For Christmas dh has bought me a UW housing for my Olympus C-5000. Planning on christening it in Bonaire on Christmas Eve. :D

There have been some reports of car break-ins, but I have not read of any recently and in the past have been more cautious at Magel Halto simply because there are few if any people around. Imo if you wish to snorkel Mangel Halto (easier if you are on the island for a week or more) is to take an excursion on Tranquilo. Where ever you park, keep your valuables out of sight. The last time we snorkeled BC there were some other tourists sunning themselves so plenty of people around.

The Antilla is in a little over 60 feet of water. On a good day you will be able to see the bottom from the surface, but more often than not, you will not be able to see but 40 feet or so. Aruba is not known, like say the Bahamas for water clarity. Please do not try to snorkel or swim out to the Antilla it is just too far. Best seen from the Jolly Pirates.

If I missed anything please let me know.

Below is from my December trip report when we last snorkeled BC & CC.

"The following showery morning, dh, my brother, myself and the four kids set out after breakfast to snorkel. We started off atCatalina Cove. Imo, this is the best spot, but also the hardest. There is a lot to see once you get out into the four or more foot deep waters, but before that there are many rocks. It is difficult at best trying to walk over them with fins on and extremely painful in bare feet. The kids were getting tired and it was getting cloudy. Yes, yet another shower was heading our way. By the time we got out of the water and toweled off, it began raining. The kids decided that they had seen enough and were not interested in being in the water in the rain. Dh and I on the other hand, are used to diving in the rain so snorkeling is not much different except for the funny sensation on your back. My brother took the kids back to the Tamarijn in the Suzuki and dh and I hopped into the Lexus and headed down to Boca Catalina. Very strange snorkeling here. There is a very sandy bottom. The difference entering the water here was like night and day. For the best of both worlds, enter the water here and snorkel northward, it is not that far before you eventually reach Catalina Cove. Consider it one large snorkel area with just so-so coral up towards Catalina Cove, a lot of fish, and a good place for beginner snorkelers."

Arubalisa - My husband has the Ikelite underwater housing for his Canon S3IS and I have the Ikelite for a Nikon Coolpix....we have been very pleased...also, last month, right before we took a cruise, one of the local Ritz camera stores had the Pentax Optio W30 on close out for 50% off and I bought one. Took it on the cruise so I could have a smaller camera for snorkeling rather than having to use the large housing, and was also very pleased with it. We met a couple who a W30 and a W60 (the newer, improved version) and they said they like the W60 even better than the W30........

Have you snorkeled in Bonaire before? We have only been to Bonaire once, and the currents were too strong that day to snorkel, but we have heard that Klein Bonaire is good. For our February cruise (stopping in Bonaire), we are planning to go to Klein Bonaire. Please let me know if you know of any other places and post a report on the Bonaire snorkeling after you return.

Archived