WEST BAY BEACH info PLEASE

newt98

We had decided to go to Fins and Flippers but after reading several threads on West Bay, it sounds like a nicer beach. A couple of questions....

Are there showers, restrooms, etc available if you go there on your own (not through Carnival)?

Is it a big beach and is it really crowded? (How does it compare to 7 Mile Beach in GC?)

From what I have read, a good rate for a return taxi is $20 pp (we have 2 adults and a 6 year old). Has anyone found a better rate?

Thanks

i got a rate of $80 round trip for 7 of us.

http://islandertours.com/

Hello everyone! I am so behind in booking our excursions it is not even funny. We leave Sunday! And now I am slightly confused. If you book an excursion in Rotan through Royal Caribbean, they have listed both the Tabyana snorkel/lunch excursion, where you can sit on the beach, eat and snorkel, or a kayak/snorkel excursion where it starts at Half Moon Bay and you kayak to West Bay Beach and snorkel and eat, etc. What's the difference other than kayaking? You can't go to Tabyana if you do the kayak thing? It will stop at only a portion of West Bay Beach? Of course the RC excursion guide doesn't get into detail. And if you do the Kayak/Snorkel thing it doesn't state you get a chair on West Bay beach. Taybana snorkel/lunch is $72/pp for 4 hours and West Bay Kayak/Snorkel is $76/pp for 5 1/2 hours. Can anyone help please? My husband is sick of hearing me analyze:)

This particular port I was going to book it through the RC ship. We were going to go to a Cozumel beach on our own (there are 6 of us) and Costa Maya is still up in the air. Any help is appreciated concerning these Roatan beaches and excursions. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
So you used Victor Bodden without a reservation? His website states that you need to have a reservation. We wanted to do the same type of experience - just see the island, then go to West Bay Beach to snorkel - we have our own equipment. On his website it was $40 pp - which seemed a little high for a ride to the beach - $20 is a lot more reasonable.

How many of you were there?

• 2 months later...

Does any one know where it is better to snorkle? West Bay Beach or West End?

We are going to take the city van to West End and maybe water taxi to West Bay Beach. Any ideas?

Thanks

I was in Roatan on the Carnival Valor last week and would recomend any visitor to make a quick tour of this beautiful little island and then go to the West End for some beach time.

I and my wife hired a car from Ronys Independant Tours for $80 total with Rony being our driver. We had a very enjoyable tour of the island and Rony is a great guide. We then visited Fosters Resort for lunch and a dip in the sea.

We enjoyed our visit to Roatan more than the other ports of call of Grand Cayman, Belize and Key West.

Here is the link to the site where I was able to book the tour.

http://ronystours.com/index.html

Mike,

First of all, I've read your Valor review several times and just love it! My boyfriend and I are booked on the Valor with the same itinerary in September. We're both getting very excited. It'll be his first cruise, so I want to make it extra special, and your review has been great in helping with that!

Secondly, I'm hoping you can help me with our Roatan excursion and a couple of questions.

The bf would classify himself as "not a beach person" (pale and burns easily, gets bored sitting in the sun on the sand), but he knows that I am. He was hoping that in Roatan we could find a beach that we both would enjoy. He knows I would LOVE to enjoy the beaches of Roatan that I hear so much about, and wants to go with me, but still have fun himself, too. The ideal setup would be a place where we can hang out in some chairs (preferrably a shady spot for him) that we can call home base, while I swim and play for a bit and he has scenery, beer, food, people watching and maybe an activity or two.

From what I've read I think that the Mayan Princess might be the answer to that, but I'm sort of looking for a second opinion from someone who has been there.

• Do you think he'd be entertained and happy at the Mayan Princess...as "not a beach person"?
  • Do you remember how much beer and food was?
  • When you reserved your transportation (checked out his website ;)) did you pay at booking or on the island?
  • Was the drive to the beach long? A/C? Did it give you a pretty good "tour" of the island/way of life? I think we'd both really like a look at the way of life without being stuck on a four guided tour.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

The Mayan Princess for a non beach person is actually pretty nice. They have a bar and restaurant there. I am not sure on what the prices were as I am a beach person and wandered up and down the beach most of the time I was there. The resort and pool are amazingly beautiful and there is plenty of scenery/people watching to be had.

Does any one know where it is better to snorkle? West Bay Beach or West End?

We are going to take the city van to West End and maybe water taxi to West Bay Beach. Any ideas?

Thanks

The snorkeling is much better in West Bay. There is a beach in West End and the water is nice, but you won't have the neat coral unless you swim way out and there is a lot of boat traffic. Lots of boats docked near the beach, too. Plus, the sand fleas are worse in West End (Half Moon Bay Beach).

If the timing works, I'd take your van to West End for some lunch and a drink at Sundowners. You'll have better prices and more choices than in West Bay. Then take the water taxi to West Bay (~$3/person). Or, it's a nice walk along the shore, but takes a little over an hour. Be warned, however, that there is a bridge with steep stairs that might be an issue if you're afraid of heights and there are a couple spots where you cross some rocks that might be slippery.

msredbird51, I'd say Haganwood is right about Mayan Princess. It has a nice bar and restaurant and there are several large, covered tables to hang out at. I think a beer (Honduran) there was 40 Lempiras, or a little more than $2.

Awesome! Thanks for your thoughts on the Mayan Princess guys. I thought it might be a good choice, but wanted a couple of second opinions. I think that's where we'll be planning going. Now I just have to hope the political situation is under control in September, so there's no chance of being re-routed!

Archived