Coffee question??

muffinlover

He also said any bean older than a week is stale and no good. How old are the beans you roast?

According to him...if it is more than a week since they were picked, they are no good. :rolleyes:

I love great coffee...but I am stuck with drinking good coffee on a daily basis.

:D

You really don't get it. Green coffee beans keep for months, even years. I got a bunch of them, different varieties, in the closet.Heck, I have some Indian Monsooned coffee that probably spent 5 months getting "monsooned". Coffee beans have to be roasted to be used, though. Once they are roasted, they have a short life for optimum flavor. The coffee beans you buy pre-roasted are old, many weeks old. Can they still be used? Sure. To most people, they taste fine because they have never had something that was fresh roasted. That's why davix100 and I roast our own beans. When you have coffee that is made from beans that were roasted very recently, there are nuances in the flavor that are obvious and very good. One you get fresh roast, you don't go back to stale. And, for those who swear that community roast or whatever commercial stuff is best, well, for lack of better words, you are ignorant. I say this because you have not had anything better and refuse to accept the fact there can be better stuff out there. it is like assuming that the best cut of meat is a sirloin because you have never had a ribeye or filet mignon. There really isn't anything magical about coffee; it all boils down to quality and type of bean, type of roast and freshness.Community roast? The take beans, roast it, can it and it sits on a shelf. The concept of preroasted coffee beans makes as much sense as pretoasted bread.And btw, I don't just make coffee to put syrup and stuff in it, I often drink pure espresso, or capucinno. Every person that I have introduced to fresh roast has been shocked how much better it tasted. Comments run along the lines of "Wow, I didn't know coffee could taste that good!". At work, my mochas are pretty popular, I give them to coworkers. I am not just into coffee though; nest week, I'll make up some high quality green tea (and I use real tea leaves, not those wreteched little bags), but I am sure the people in the south would argue that Lipton tea is the best because that is the most popular brand, right?

As for all the talk about "civit" coffee, coffee that is consumed and excreted by a cat- if I want coffee that tastes like poop, I'll buy some community or other preroasted bean that is stale on arrival. However, since I want something that tastes like coffee, I'll continue to roast green coffee beans every week.

kyrisong1... FYI..

Had a rememberance (my CRS meds kicked in). There is poster on the boards here by the tag "masq" that either she or her husband is a RN in the Omaha area.. She and I were havine a long posting on the RN profession and how she (or husband) was looking into moving to NOLA after finishing some training... A muffeletta thread....

UPc

Boy I love snobs like you..think you are so high and mighty because you "roast your own beans..." big deal...Community Dark Roast is not "ground from stale beans..." it is the best selling coffee in the Southeast Gulf Coast...why??...because we KNOW good coffee...

Oh yeah and by the way, Starbucks coffee is the absolute worst, don't see how they can call that crap coffee...GOOD coffee can be served BLACK...no sugar or cream necessary.

Thank you for enlightening us fine folk. :cool:

Now someone free-line some coffee into this person quick! Stabilization required!

You really don't get it. Green coffee beans keep for months, even years. I got a bunch of them, different varieties, in the closet.Heck, I have some Indian Monsooned coffee that probably spent 5 months getting "monsooned". Coffee beans have to be roasted to be used, though. Once they are roasted, they have a short life for optimum flavor. The coffee beans you buy pre-roasted are old, many weeks old. Can they still be used? Sure. To most people, they taste fine because they have never had something that was fresh roasted. That's why davix100 and I roast our own beans. When you have coffee that is made from beans that were roasted very recently, there are nuances in the flavor that are obvious and very good. One you get fresh roast, you don't go back to stale. And, for those who swear that community roast or whatever commercial stuff is best, well, for lack of better words, you are ignorant. I say this because you have not had anything better and refuse to accept the fact there can be better stuff out there. it is like assuming that the best cut of meat is a sirloin because you have never had a ribeye or filet mignon. There really isn't anything magical about coffee; it all boils down to quality and type of bean, type of roast and freshness.Community roast? The take beans, roast it, can it and it sits on a shelf. The concept of preroasted coffee beans makes as much sense as pretoasted bread.And btw, I don't just make coffee to put syrup and stuff in it, I often drink pure espresso, or capucinno. Every person that I have introduced to fresh roast has been shocked how much better it tasted. Comments run along the lines of "Wow, I didn't know coffee could taste that good!". At work, my mochas are pretty popular, I give them to coworkers. I am not just into coffee though; nest week, I'll make up some high quality green tea (and I use real tea leaves, not those wreteched little bags), but I am sure the people in the south would argue that Lipton tea is the best because that is the most popular brand, right?

As for all the talk about "civit" coffee, coffee that is consumed and excreted by a cat- if I want coffee that tastes like poop, I'll buy some community or other preroasted bean that is stale on arrival. However, since I want something that tastes like coffee, I'll continue to roast green coffee beans every week.

Well that was NOT what you said the first time. thanks for the clarification.

Archived